Paris Hotel for My Parents

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Shasson

Paris Hotel for My Parents

Need advice on a reasonably priced Paris hotel for my 60-something parents, one of whom would prefer not to have to climb stairs. Although good travelers, they would probably prefer in-room facilities, breakfast included etc (ie: more US-style hotel).
Thanks.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Surlok

Shasson,

How much is "reasonably priced", which category of hotel they'd like, a 2 stars with lift, a 3 stars? Would they need a mini bar? And where would they like it to be located, at Rive Gauche, close to Les Invalides, or Saint Germain, or Montparnasse? or Rive Droite, close to the Louvre or Opera? Is room size important?

Surlok

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Lori

Reasonably priced can mean many things to many people. We've visited Paris many times and stayed this past April at the Relais Bosquet Hotel in the 7th Arr.
It's a lovely hotel and they have a website if want to see some info on it. We had a "superior room", on the 6th floor with a view of 3/4 the Eiffel Tower. If you do a search on this forum you will see my comments on this hotel. We really enjoyed it, but remember most rooms are pretty small in Paris (hence the superior room, it was larger!!). Nice bathroom (modern), large closet, iron & ironing board, elevator, pleasant staff, 1.5 blocks from Metro, right around the corner from Rue Cler (marvelous pedestrian street with lots of food shops), etc. We paid $120 but breakfast was not included. A nice continental breakfast could be had downstairs in the breakfast room (one side non-smoking, one side smoking).

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:35 PM
elaine

Hi, as suggested, we need to know what price you have in mind. Also,what time of year wil they be going--is air conditioning a factor? Breakfast is sometimes included in the price, but rarely, and when it is, it is usually "continental"
(rolls or bread, and coffee.) If it costs extra, they can usually find better quality rolls/pastry and coffee at a nearby cafe, and for a better price, unless they are people (and there are many) who must have coffee before venturing out.

You can do a search here on Paris hotel
and find zillions of suggestions in all price ranges. You can also look at
www.paris.org and www.hotelboulevard.com
which have hotel info and in some cases comments from past guests. A "US-style" hotel is generally speaking going to be business-oriented, which often means large and pricey. However, many
locally-styled hotels have elevators,a/c, and other amenities as well, plus convenient locations and charm.
I also have a file on Paris which I'd be happy to send if you email me.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Samuel

try these both little, charming hotels in the 7th arrondissement of paris :

www.latour-maubourg.fr (***)
www.hotelvaladon.com (**)

Both a run by the same family, Mr & Mrs Orsenne.

greetings

Samuel

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Paul

As 60 something myself I would suggest the 7er and the rue Cler area. We have been very happy with the Hotel du Cadran and have stayed there about 10-15 times over the years. Our latest stay there was last month. The rooms are on the small size (as are many of Paris hotels) but the place is spotless and the staff wonderful. The hotel is 3* and meets your elevator requirements. A continental breakfast is served downstairs (extra) or you can go out to the corner of r. Cler and r. Champs du Mars and eat breakfast in the Cafe du Marche. The walk to the cafe from the hotel door may be 150 feet. The area is quiet at night, has many good restaurants (Ok so does the rest of Paris) and has a less hectic pace than many other parts of the central city. Check it out.
Good luck.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Katherine

I totally second (or third) the Rue Cler area and the Latour-Maubourg or the Relais Bosquet. We stayed at the Relais Bosquet in June and had a view of the Eiffle Tower from our bed! It's such a lovely quiet area. I've stayed in the Latin Quarter several times and it's so noisey and hectic.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Betsy

I enjoyed staying at the Latour-Maubourg so much that my 60something parents stayed there for a week in April. It is a small hotel in the 7th right across the street from the Metro. It is very reasonably priced for the amenities it offers, but! The only room that does not requrie stairs is the suite on the first floor. It is a large room for a very reasonable price, (200 or so a night?). My parents weren'disturbed by noise being on the first floor, but I gotta admit they wear hearing aids, so.... I've also stayed at Champ de Mars hotel and it has an elevator. The rooms are much smaller, but also les expensive. It too is in the 7th.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:11 AM
Gretchen

The Hotel Muguet (around the corner from Rue Cler) would very much fill your bill. While breakfast (49FF extra) is served in the attractive breakfast room, you can have it brought to your door. There is an elevator and AC if in summer. Price is 520FF. Some rooms have a view of the Eiffel Tower.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:55 AM
Sharon P

We stayed at a small hotel called Vacances Bleu in Montparnasse--there was a restaurant on the premises and it had elevators. Also, around the corner there were indoor/outdoor restaurants as well as very good french crepe restaurants! There was a small market down the street for cheese and snacks.