paris hotel for first timers

Old May 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paris hotel for first timers

First time Paris, 5 nites, pay up to $500/nite. What area best to branch out to all the major tourist highlights from? And what hotel in that area? Thank you !
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM

For $500/night budget, you should be able to get a pretty classy hotel or private apartment. IMHO, you don't need to pay even half that much. Considering a classy B&B? We just got back from a wonderful stay in a huge 1850's historic house with a private 3-room suite in Montmarte. Rents for abt $200/night, including large breakfast. King bed. ENORMOUS living room. Bath/dressing room was twice size of most Parisian hotel rooms, maybe bigger. Antique, eclectic furnishings. Private, gated lane. Very tranquil. Delightful hostess with international flair and perfect language skills. Contact B&B service in Paris called Alcôves et Agapes (33-1-44-85-06-05; www.bed-and-breakfast-in-paris.com) for information about Villa Clara.
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:27 AM

MJ,

If I stay for longer than 3 days I look for a nice appartment to rent. You can try this one, http://www.vrbo.com/28993#morephotos, I've heard good things. This gives you more space, generally, and costs less for longer stays. This way you have more money to spend in Paris.

Greg
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:41 AM

days , I'd skip an apartment and go for a hotel that would provide concierge services if you need them. Try Le Madison on Blvd St Germain, you could have a suite for your budget of $500.00. Others to look into might include Relais Christine, rue Christine, D'Aubusson on rue Dauphine, Le Relais St Germain on Carrefour d'Odeon, or for something more modern, La Villa on rue Jacob.

All are in walking distance to major sites..Notre Dame, Louvre, D'Orsay, etc. All also have convenient cafes and shops nearby as well as metro stations
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:42 AM

My first sentence got lost above!

For first time visitors with only 5 days......
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM

agree that for first timers with no unusaul needs a hotel is the way to go. You have a little more of a fall back position if anything goes wrong with your trip or your accomidation.
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM

I usually rent an apartment now, but I agree totally with Jody. If this is your first time, a concierge can be extremely helpful with dinner reservations, directions, etc.
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM
GBC

I think that Jody is right. The Madison (their upscale rooms) would be an excellent choice. If you really want to spend $500 per, the Relais Christine or the D'Aubusson will be very comfortable. They are also in a fine location. If I were you, I would do the Madison and spend the dollars saved on a guide to help with the introduction to Paris.
Paris is very special. Enjoy your first visit.
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM

We loved the Victoria Palace (6th arr.).

http://www.victoriapalace.com/index_uk.htm

Byrd
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM

I would try Hotel D'Aubusson on rue dauphine. It is a wonderful location for exploring Paris. The Louvre is an easy 15 minute walk, as is Notre Dame. The Latin Quarter is about ten minutes away. Musee D'Orsay is walkable too, about 30 minutes. And the hotel itself is just behind Blvd St. Germain with all its cafes, bistros, restaurants, and there's fabulous shopping right in the area.
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM

We always stay at Villa D 'Estrees. Rates are in the $350-400 range. Small intimate hotel on a quiet sidestreet on the border of the French Quarter and St Germain. Walking distance to Louvre, Notre Dame, Musee D'Orsay, St Chappelle, etc. Website is hotelvilladestreesparis.com. Another hotel only a couple blocks away that looks even nicer is the Relais Christine. We have poked around there while walking by and it looks great. Rates are closer to $500 a night. Website is relais-christine.com
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM

Relais Christine is lovely .Another possibility in the same area within walking distance to the Louvre and the Orsay is the Pont Royale Hotel.It is small with good, kind service.Above all, enjoy your trip.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:26 AM

Relais Christine is often wonderful,and we've stayed there many times, but the room quality is inconsistent- sometimes amazing, other times dismal. Almost same location as Hotel D'Aubusson, though, just around the corner from rue dauphine.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:46 AM

There is no question in my mind...the Hotel Millesime. It is one the rue Jacob which is two blocks from the Seine in one direction and two blocks from the Blvd St Germain in the other. This puts you within walking distance of, for example, Notre Dame and the Ile de la Cite and Ile St Louis, the Marais, the Latin Quarter, Montparnass, the Luxemburg Gardens, the Champs Elysee, the Eiffel Tower, the Musee D'Orsay. And Le Dome, Le Select, La Closserie des Lilas, Les Deux Magots, Le Rotnde, etc. in case you want to "do a Hemingway."

And if you book on-line you can take advantage of this...the tete-a-tete package

- 3 NIGHTS MINIMUM STAY
- Our breakfast buffet
- A one-way transfer from or to the airport (CDG or Orly) or the railway station
-½ bottle of Brut “Saphir” champagne in the room served with its famous “Ladurée” macaroons
- A cruise on the Seine for two
- 1/2 bottle of “Chablis”
- The “Mobilis” pass valid for one day (on all Paris public transportation)
- 1 Aperitif served in the “Café Laurent” (with a Jazz session on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays)

I just did and the pick-up at the airport is great and removes one big headache. Having a pre-paid pass for the Seine cruise (Vedettes de Pont Neuf) allows you to by-pass the lines. And the oll-day metro pass is good for a trip to Montmartre. And we took the wine to the Pont des Arts at night to be will all of the other people that do this.

Pjk

Old May 18th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Peter is quite right. We've stayed at both the D'Aubusson and the Millesime...they are owned by the same people..and for the difference in money We've chosen the Millesime 4 times over once at the D'Aubusson. In fact our room at the Millesime was larger! Adn I love rue Jacob!