Search

Paris Hotel- a little bit posh!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2024, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotel- a little bit posh!!

Hi
Looking for a hotel in Paris that isn't too far from the Gare De L'Est. We are doing a trip of a lifetime and will be catching the Orient Express from there. They provide a driver to pick us up but we are concerned about Paris traffic so want to be somewhere that won't mean we are ages in traffic. It will just make me anxious and I really don't want that! Despite appearances (our wonderful trip which was a gift from a group of family members), we are not in the 1000 euro a night bracket for our hotel stay.
We'd like something that is a bit grand and olde worlde as a precursor to the main trip itself, but with decent size rooms and good showers as there are none available to us on the train so would like to have a good scrub before I go . Ballpark maybe around 500 euros a night. Can we get something lovely for that budget? I have trawled the hotel booking sites etc and I'll admit I'm a bit bamboozled so any help to calm my overwhelm would be gratefully appreciated.
TIA
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 02:24 PM

With your budget you can get a very nice room at the Hôtel le Madison (Left Bank) or the Hôtel Mansart (Right Bank).
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Underhill
With your budget you can get a very nice room at the Hôtel le Madison (Left Bank) or the Hôtel Mansart (Right Bank).
Glad you mentioned Madison. I always wanted to stay there…but it was above my budget. Finally, I can splurge a bit…so I booked it for mid September. Hope it lives up to the reputation.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 04:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If the OE is sending a driver to pick you up, you have nothing to be anxious about. They're assuming the responsibility of getting you to the station at the appropriate time.

Anyway, here's another hotel to consider... the Hotel Francois 1er. Nice, quiet area.

https://the-paris-hotel.com/
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 09:38 PM

This may not be the posh you are looking for, and I don’t know if the location works for you, but I like it a lot. It has been a very long time since I have been there, but reviews are still good. I love the garden and the feeling that you are visiting a country house.

https://en.hoteldesgrandesecoles.com
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 01:19 AM

If you're looking for something "grand" in that piece range, I'd suggest:

1) Hilton Paris Opera
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/par...n-paris-opera/

2) Intercontinental Paris Le Grand:
https://parislegrand.intercontinental.com/en/

3) Hôtel Regina:
https://www.regina-hotel.com/
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 09:08 AM

I second the recommendation for the Madison. We stayed there a couple of years ago and enjoyed the privilege view room, with its view of Saint-Germain. We're headed there again in mid-September. (Danon, maybe we'll run into you.)
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 10:30 AM

We too have had the privilege room twice with views of the church. Love this hotel!
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vonse
I second the recommendation for the Madison. We stayed there a couple of years ago and enjoyed the privilege view room, with its view of Saint-Germain. We're headed there again in mid-September. (Danon, maybe we'll run into you.)
Kind of you to notice ! I visited Paris many times over the years ; we stayed in different hotels, sometimes apartments. Madison
has always been “ on my list”. I hope we both have a great trip.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 04:23 AM

We've booked the Junior Suite in the Hotel Luxembourg Parc and would describe the hotel (and our suite) as "luxe lite" -- the hotel is not large but is on the elegant side. It has only one suite. We're really happy that we were able to grab it for a full week. Will enjoy the view of the gardens and having breakfast served each morning in our suite's modest but comfortable sitting area. I am also looking forward to staying next door to the building that was my home when I was a student at the Sorbonne -- it's now offices for the French Senate.
https://www.luxembourg-paris-hotel.c.../junior-suite/ (here's hoping that posting a link doesn't sent this straight to forum limbo, but it probably will)

Old Mar 19th, 2024, 07:46 AM

My son recently stayed at The Hotel Deux Gares - https://hoteldeuxgares.com/en/

He thought it was excellent, and I think it may be what you are looking for in a hotel near Gare De L'Est.
I was envious of his Diptique products he brought back - not sold in stores!
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 01:09 PM

I'll chime in for the Madison as well. Stayed there as long as 20 years ago and as recently as 2 years ago and will stay there again. It's not really "grand" and doesn't have an impressive lobby or anything, but the location is great.

Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:31 AM

As someone else recommended, Hotel Regina du Louvre would definitely fit the bill! Lovely hotel - and you can ask for a room with Eiffel Tower views.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't stayed in a hotel in Paris since 1971 (since I moved here in April 1973). But if I had to stay in a hotel, I think I might look at the Terrass Hôtel in the 18th for the view over the city. Or else just the Hyatt Regency (modern of course) at Porte Maillot. I am not at all affected by old world charm since most of what exists is fake. As an example, just take a look at Ladurée on the Champs Elysées which is oozing with 19th century charm, but I knew it as the Japan Airlines agency in the 1970s fluorescent plastic style when I worked in the area. Much of Paris is just as fake as Disneyland. But it doesn't matter.... or does it?
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 12:21 PM

I’ll also chime in for The Madison Hotel.
We usually rent an apt. but if we stay in a hotel it is always The Madison.

OK, we’d like to stay at The Ritz but 500 Euro a night would not cover it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac
I haven't stayed in a hotel in Paris since 1971 (since I moved here in April 1973). But if I had to stay in a hotel, I think I might look at the Terrass Hôtel in the 18th for the view over the city. Or else just the Hyatt Regency (modern of course) at Porte Maillot. I am not at all affected by old world charm since most of what exists is fake. As an example, just take a look at Ladurée on the Champs Elysées which is oozing with 19th century charm, but I knew it as the Japan Airlines agency in the 1970s fluorescent plastic style when I worked in the area. Much of Paris is just as fake as Disneyland. But it doesn't matter.... or does it?
I hold your opinions in high regard and consider you to be one of the Paris experts on Fodors, so am curious as to your opinion on the hotel I recommended, and yeah, it does kind of reek of “old world charm.” Don’t worry. I am not sensitive about some hotel I have not seen in many years. My feelings will not be hurt whatever you say. I only ask opinions when I actually want them.
https://en.hoteldesgrandesecoles.com
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 04:57 AM

The photos are charming, but I don't really like most old hotels and their retrofitted bathrooms (eating up some of the original bedroom area), the insufficient and weirdly placed electrical sockets, the iffy plumbing, etc. I think the wallpaper at the Hôtel des Grandes Ecoles might have me jumping out of the window. Of course when I think of people I have visited at their hotels, I usually wasn't impressed by their accommodations even when they were modern. I must be a grouch.
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 07:03 AM

Kerouac, Thank you for taking time to look at the website and to respond, especially with funny, personal and accurate observations. You made me realize that I happily stay in places with decor that I certainly would not choose for my own home. A pretty garden or terrace and pond (even better with a pretty or interesting pool) and good quality rolls and cakes and teas for breakfast and I seem to forget the practical stuff.

Just went back and really looked at the wallpaper. Made me grimace-smile. My tastes have changed. I had forgotten how flowery and how much there is of it. They sure did not skimp on it.

Thank you for all that you contribute to this forum. You are very much appreciated.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Mar 23rd, 2024 at 07:14 AM.