Reload this Page >

PARIS HELP NEEDED

Search

PARIS HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Danni

PARIS HELP NEEDED

I need help in three ways: 1. We want to reserve a hotel soon as many of you have suggested, but cannot find any good airfares <BR>this early. Any ideas, or do we just reserve and change the dates later? 2. I've read that the 9th can be a bad area, so am concerned about Hotel Des Croises. Any info on Hotel Des Croises, Hotel Louis II, Hotel De La Place Des Vosges, or Grand des Balcons would really be helpful. Hotel du Globe is my first choice, but I need some back up ideas. 3. What's driving in France like? We drive easily in England, but have always used public transport. We will be in Normandy, Provence, and/or Loire/Burgandy. <BR>Thanks everyone!

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Peg

Danni, When do you plan to go?

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:31 PM
JOdy

Hi Danni. <BR>I don'T see why you couldn't reserve and then check out the airfares. as long as you cancel your hotel reservations in good time there should be no problem. <BR>Driving in France is a breeze compared to UK! They do have very LITTLE route signs but as long as youhave a good navigator you should be okay. Wish the route signs were better marked but can't ask for too much!Don't know your budget but we love Domaine des Hauts de Loire at Onzain betweeen Blois and Amboise A great place to visit allthe Loire chateaux and outstanding food, my most important part of the trip! <BR>Don't know anything about the 9th, is that the Marais,if it is it is quite nice, we always stay in the 6th. The MArais has some very good hotels and lots of good restaurants. it is also very convenient to most sites you would want to visit,. We just happen to prefer the 6th

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:41 PM
StCirq

Danni: <BR> <BR>I have no personal knowledge of the hotels you're looking at, but as long as you're aware of the hotel's cancellation policy there should be no problem booking now, before you have your flights booked. Just be sure, of course, to cancel in due time if your plans change. <BR>Regarding driving in France, the signage is top-notch, but the approach is different from in the States. You won't find many route numbers posted in obvious places. Rather, you'll see the names of the major towns along the route. So, for example, if you're heading to Normandy from Paris through Rouen, you'll need to know the names of the main towns along the way. As long as you study a map ahead of time and keep those place names in mind and don't diverge, you'll be fine. A good navigator helps, of course. And if you get stuck in a town or village, just look for a sign (there will inevitably be one) that says "toutes directions." That will take you out of town to junctions where you'll have choices to make - again, with place names more prominent than route numbers. I actually think navigating in France is quite simple, once you understand how it works. <BR>Also, stay in the right lane unless passing, always use your turn signal, and know that "Cedez le passage" means yield and that "Vous n'avez pas la priorité" means you don't have the right of way. <BR> <BR>

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Danni

Peg: <BR> <BR>I think you are the wonderful person who first told me about Hotel du Globe. <BR>We will be going in September. Do you have other ideas for me if Hotel du Globe is full? <BR>Thanks everyone for the driving tips. I'll navigate and my husband will drive so we should manage.

Old May 16th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Peg

Hi Danni, I have a brochure for the Balcons that I can send to you. (Send me your address again by e-mail)I would go ahead and reserve your room now as September is pretty busy. BTW, I just got a roundtrip ticket Atlanta-Paris for September 19-28 at $400 plus tax from Priceline.

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Adele

Danni, <BR>Depends where in the 9th the hotel is located and what sights you're most interested in seeing. My sense is that the 9th is a bit more commercial than some of the other arrondisements -- some of the big department stores are there, plus the Opera. <BR> <BR>On our last trip we stayed on the right bank in the 1st arrondisement, right across from the Louvre. There are two hotels on the same little block: Relais du Louvre and Hotel de la Place du Louvre. We found the location to be perfect -- just over the Pont Neuf from the 6th and an easy walk to the Tuileries and the Marais. If you check out the website http://www.france.com you will get complete information on Paris hotels by arrodisement, including candid reviews. <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage.

Old May 16th, 2001, 12:45 PM
julie

Danni- We stayed at Grand Hotel des Balcons(6th) last spring and it was great. Excellent value for superb location.Good service, small but well appointed rooms. Rate was about 75/day US. Exchange rate is better now. We walked to absolutely everything even the Eiffel Tower and the Marais(9th). Good location for metro and bus stops. Good nightlife, cafes, restaurants close by. Good shooping and excellent food market at the the rue de buci. This would be my first choice again.If you want more info email me directly.

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:56 PM
David

Danni <BR> I agree with JOdy the Domain Des Hautes in Onzain is just beautiful if you have the nerve and the $ try the hot air ballon ride over the chateaus it is truly amazing! <BR> ( Bombardier was the name of the company. ) Also stayed at the Hotel California in Paris 8TH arr. right of Champs d'Elysee near metro and Louvre, reasonable, beautiful & friendly <BR>we are returning to Paris this summer and are staying there again!web site www.hroy.com <BR>don't let the name fool you the own several small prestige hotels.