Search

Paris hammam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris hammam

If this is a duplicate, forgive me - when I hit post it seemed to evaporate so I am trying again.
At http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/DESTI....ap/index.html there is an article about Parisian steam baths. I'm wondering if any Fodorites have been to one and can report?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:58 AM

I know there have been other inquiries and information posted, but I don't recall anyone actually giving personal experience/feedback...
anyway, ttt.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Seamus, I visited the Bains du Marais in Sept 05. I did a brief report on it. My experience was fantasticaly relaxing. I went on a day that is "mixed" in that after a certain hour, males and females may be in the hammam at the same time. When this occurs, one must wear a bathing suit (under the robe) when one is in the shared areas. The prices are good (especially compared to San Francisco spa prices) and I found the "Gommage" treatment consisting of an extreme skin scrub, to be invigorating. For those who are used to the draping that occurs with US massage therapists - forget it and forget your inhibitions at the door! All in all, it was a much needed, wonderful experience and a great "riviver" for the weary toured-out body.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I went to the one at the Mosquée de Paris many years ago. It was fantastic - very intense but relaxing at the same time. Not quite as good as the hammams I've been to in Morocco and Tunisia, where they let you rest between treatments and serve mint tea, but still darn good.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:26 AM

I didn't check your link, but I also went to the one at the Mosque. It was a weekend night -- maybe Sunday night? Over Labor Day weekend last year (I think).

Interesting experience. Not dying to go back though, I must say. I believe there're separate men's/women's nights. Didn't have tea at the teahouse, but it's supposedly quite good.

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I might give those places a try. Regarding the body wax treatments: do they charge by the square yard?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:10 AM

degas, I believe it is on a "follicle per square centimeter" basis, the French being on the metric system and all....
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:16 AM

The tea room is definitely worth a visit. Went there a couple of years ago - it's exactly like sitting in a Moroccan café, with the lemon trees in big pots and birds singing in their cages. Has a nice little shop selling North African items as well.