Reload this Page >

Paris Guide Needed

Search

Paris Guide Needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:34 PM
Morrison

Paris Guide Needed

I and my spouse intend to visit France (Paris) this early May 2002. Since we arrange our trip itinery by ourselves, we have a bunch of questions and by writing this message we look forward to obtain reliable advice on the following things:<BR><BR>- What is the best budget hotel in Louvre area (arrondissiment 1) or any other are?<BR>- Is Paris Visite is the best choice for travel around the city?<BR>- Where we could buy tickets for eurodisney?<BR>- Where we could book local tours? <BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:27 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>When you say "budget hotel" what are you looking to spend?<BR>There are more lower-cost hotel choices on the left bank <BR>(5th, 6th, and 7th arrondissement) than in the first,, and unfortunately this is a little late to be booking. Many small popular budget hotels will already be fully booked. If you do a search on this message board for Paris hotel you will find many suggestions.<BR><BR>"Paris-Visite" offers you reductions of between 20 and 35% on a few of the LESS-visited tourist sites in Paris. Unlimited travel on the entire RATP network If you buy one for all zones it will include transport to Disneyland, but then you are paying too much as if you were using all zones every day. You have the choice among a 1, 2, 3 or 5 day pass. This pass is expensive, sold only to tourists, and only worth it if you will be constantly on the go (at least 7 bus or metro rides per day last time I calculated). Most visitors find that it’s not worth it, not even with the site admission discounts. html <BR>You don't say how long you will be in Paris.<BR>The Carte Orange Hebdomadaire allows you an unlimited number of voyages for a whole week from Monday to Sunday. The most frequent choice by Parisians and probably<BR>the best value for money if you’ll be there a week or close to it. You will need a passport-sized photo. For the Carte Orange, you’ll be given a small ticket, a card, and a plastic holder. There are photo machines at some metro stations, or just bring one with you, as long as your face in the photo is about 1”. Use the ticket in the automated metro turnstiles; on buses you’ll just show the card. The English version of www.ratp.fr doesn’t show the Carte Orange because they want to encourage visitors to buy the much more expensive <BR>Carte Visite. <BR>All the transit pass options in all cities give me a headache.<BR>In December 2000, one Fodor’s poster suggested that if you are arriving in Paris on a Mon, Tues, or Wed AND also if you are using the RER to and from CDG airport, it would be worth it to buy a Carte Orange Hebdomadaire (weekly). It will cover the fare to and from the airport, fare to Versailles if you will be going, and still be worth it for metro travel within Paris for 5 days. If you will not be using the RER from CDG airport, but still arriving on Mon, Tues, or Wed, then buy a Carte Orange for zones 1 and 2, which is worth it if you will be using the metro or bus for at least 3 journeys each day. If you are arriving on other days, buy only a carnet (bunch of ten tickets, still a discount) and separate airport tickets.<BR><BR>I myself only buy carnets, because I end up doing so much walking that I don't take that many metro or bus rides each day.<BR><BR>Tours--did you mean Paris walking tours, or bus tours for other destinations?<BR>Paris a Pied: based in the US, has tours that take up to 3 hours, including a coffee break.<BR> Reservations, call in the US<BR>800 594 9535. Website www.parisapied.com<BR>www.pariswalkingtours.com Recommended by a Fodor’s poster<BR>Les Promenades Parisiennes: Free brochures available at the Paris Convention and Visitors Bureau, Hotel d’Albret, 31 rue des Francs-Bourgeois, telephone 01 42 76 65 86<BR>Also, consult Pariscope, a weekly magazine sold at newsstands. In addition to many other activities, they have listings for walking tours under the heading “Promenades”.<BR><BR>For bus tours: www.parisvision.com and www.cityrama.com<BR>I have a file on Paris, if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:03 AM
gigi

-<BR>Look at the thread titled, " Tour Guide help in Paris ". Good recommendations for Michael, http://www.geocities.com/parisfinder/<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:12 AM
Christina

Some of my answers:<BR>1) Hotel de la place du Louvre (http://www.123france.com/europe/france/paris/hotels/hoplouus.htm)<BR><BR>2) not usually (see Elaine's details)<BR><BR>3)it's not called that any more, it's called Disneyland Paris; you can buy tickets at the park, or some other options are explained online (www.disneylandparis.com) There is a train stop (RER) right there at the park.<BR><BR>I think Elaine's tour advice is good, there are some expensive ones, also, and there are probably some other options described if you go to the main Paris tourist office when you arrive, which might be a good idea in general for you (it's on the Champs-Elysees not far from the Arc de Triomphe, they have a good web site which perhaps has some good info for you www.paris-touristoffice.com)<BR>Another form of self-directed tour are the hop-on, hop-off open-top buses that go around to all the main sites, which you might enjoy. see www.paris-opentour.com or this description http://www.ratp.fr/ParisVisite/Eng/V.../open_tour.htm

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Tony

I have the best tourist guide for Paris !<BR>His name is Michael Osman, I have already used his services and he was Excelent.<BR>Can not say enough good things about him; he is Knowledgeable about Paris as far History and Culture goes. And he's got a very good personality, he's polite and most important he is very reasonable.<BR>Here is how to conctact him&gt;e-mail him <BR>[email protected]<BR><BR><BR>Please feel free to contact me if you need more information.<BR><BR>Enjoy Paris