Paris, Geneva and Nice

Search

Paris, Geneva and Nice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris, Geneva and Nice

OK we think we think we have decided where we want to go for the 40th Anniversary Trip. Paris it is...

Now DH and I are talking three days in Paris, taking the train to Geneva for three days and then hopping on the train again to Nice for our last three days.

Is this a reasonable and doable trip?

Is three days in each area too much of a tease?

Can this be done for around $5000?

Am I going to wish I spent all 7 days in any of these areas?

How long (and how comfortable) is the train ride between locations?

We understand that you can get a 7 day rail pass (of course, am I hearing they are close to a strike right now.) Well, we aren't going until Sept 06...

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, NannyJan
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi N,

>Am I going to wish I spent all 7 days in any of these areas?<

Yes. You will wish you had stayed in Paris.

You will lose at least 1/2 day going from Paris to Geneva, and a full day from Geneva to Nice.

>We understand that you can get a 7 day rail pass...<

Do not buy any railpasses until after you have entered your itinerary at www.railsaver.com and clicked "only if it saves me money".

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:21 AM

If you like train travels, you would possibly like it.

Or consider flying from Geneva to Nice with Easyjet or Flybaboo. The only direct train TGV of the day is GVA-NCE/13:30-20:00 so you will practically loose a day here.

Or you might like 5/6 nights in Paris, then PAR/NCE by TGV (or air) and 3/4 nights in Nice. This is without doing Geneva but I don't know how important Geneva is for you on this trip.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Hi Nannymer,

Unlike ira, I think you'll wish you had spent 7 days on Lake Geneva!! I've been to Paris (lived there for one school year even) but now it just doesn't do it for me --

Anyway, I love Lake Geneva and would recommend you consider staying in one of the smaller towns like Vevey or Montreux instead of Geneva. Here's my standard list of things to do in the area:

Spend a morning walking along the 11km flowered lakeside promenade from Clarens to Villeneuve, passing the Chateau Chillon between Territet and Villeneuve; there are plenty of cafes to stop and have a coffee & snack along the way to replenish your strength. There are also plenty of benches to sit and read, watch other walkers, or simply stare at the majesty of the lake and the mountains in the distance.

If you make it all the way to Villeneueve, top off your long walk with a wonderful pizza & beer lunch at a lakeside café in Villeneuve, then take the ferry back to Montreux (I think the ferry stops in late Sep/Oct).

Spend a morning walking up to Montreux's old city and the old church for fantastic panoramic views from the church’s terrace. Have lunch at the Hotel/Restaurant du Pont at 12 rue du Pont (I had a ravioli in cream sauce with shaved truffles that was out of this world!). Montreux’s website is at www.montreux.ch

Spend the morning in Vevey hunting down the antiques shops in the old town. Then have lunch at the Hostellerie de Geneve on the Pl. Marche. Vevey’s website is at www.vevey.ch

Be sure to walk from Vevey to the town of La-Tour-de-Peilz, just a few blocks. Walk along the lake past stately trees and park benches until you come to an old fort, a small park, and the port. You'll see lots of folks out playing in good weather.

Take the train (the “wine train”) from Vevey to Chexbres, then spend a morning walking the vineyards down to the lake, hitting Rivaz & St. Saphorin. For lunch, find the Auberge du Rivaz (in Rivaz . . . ) with a terrace lake view or see if any of the cellars are having a cheese/wine tasting. Website: www.lavaux.ch/sentier2.htm

The lakeside village of Cully, just east of Lausanne, is a picturesque stop and has two recommended restaurants, the Auberge du Raisin and the Au Major Davel.

The lakeside village of Lutry, just two miles east of Lausanne, has a well-posted tour of medieval buildings as well as some good wine caves for tasting. Website: www. lutry.ch

Spend a day in the mountains, taking the train to the resort of Gstaad. On the way back, stop at Chateau d'Oex for lunch.

Take the funicular from Territet up to Glion and have lunch at the Hotel Victoria, enjoying its panoramic views of the lake.

Spend an afternoon in the medieval village of Gruyeres, making sure to sample the berries in creme-double. Website: www.gruyeres.ch

Spend an afternoon in Nyon at the Roman museum and the Caesar's columns nearby. The Fodors guide recommends a meal at the Auberge du Chateau just steps from the Roman museum. It was closed when I was there, but it looked charming. Website: www.nyon.ch

Go to the small, charming village of Celigny. Not much to see here but a picturesque place (it was actor Richard Burton’s home during the last years of his life). Have lunch at the Auberge du Soleil -- great prix fixe feast!

Spend the morning in the town of Morges, just west of Lausanne. Morges has a cobbled main street that is lined with shops and patisseries; it has a flowered lakeside promenade that signs say runs all the way to Lausanne; and it has a large, green park next to the lake that is filled with stately trees. Here's the Morges tourism website: www.morges.ch/view.asp?DomId=51

The website for the tourist office of the region is: www.lake-geneva-region.ch

My personal travel journal (w/photos) of Montreux: http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...JournalID=7825

If you want hotel recommendations, tell me your budget and the town you'd like to stay in (sorry; I don't know any hotels in Geneva itself).

s
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

swandav2000

Thanks for the wealth of information. I looked at your site as well...Lake Geneva looks and sounds so beautiful.

We are really torn about how to spend our time in Europe. We are checking out all of the Rail Pass options and may even do more than three destinations.

I need to do some more research, but I do think that Geneva and that general area must be a part of our itinerary...while Paris has always been my dream, Hubby has always wanted to see Switzerland.

Thanks again for all the input.

NannyJan
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In your shoes, I would pick either Paris for 7 days or Geneva for 7 days including the area along Lac Leman (beautiful small towns and wine country).

If you must do both ;-) I'd recommend fly into Geneva, immediately take the train from the airport out to Vevey/Montreux (~1 hr) as your Swiss base for 3 days. Then take the high speed day train from Geneva back to Paris for 4 days, fly home from Paris.

Skip Nice, please don't add destinations, and you don't need a rail pass just point-to-point tickets.

That IMHO is a lovely one week trip.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Oops I misread your total time, so you could have 4-5 days Geenva region and 4-5 days Paris, even better!
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM

What time of the year will you be going? That could make a difference.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

We are planning to go in early to mid September 06...

Thanks everyone for all the input...

Why not Nice............

NannyJan
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 01:44 PM

How about splitting your time between Paris and Nice? You could fly into Paris and out of Nice, or vice versa. Delta/AirFrance fly nonstop to Nice out of JFK, although I'm not sure if this schedule is year-round, or just operates through the summer.

From Paris, you could take Easyjet to Nice. It's only about an hour and a half flight.

There's plenty to do in Nice ( Chagall museum, lovely old town, promenade along the Mediterranean for strolling and people-watching). Plus, it's very easy to daytrip by bus or train to medieval hilltowns like St. Paul de Vence and Eze. Or, you could take the train to Cannes and Antibes ( Picasso Museum).

A quick question about your budget: Does the $5000 have to include airfare? If so, you may find your budget pretty tight.

Good luck!

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

We will have some FF mileage...not sure if it will take us to Europe, but I am planning on the $5 grand without air fare....

NannyJan
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:40 PM

My comments aren't specifically against Nice (I have never been) but FOR Paris and Geneva, and against going to three cities in two countries on a trip just barely over one week.

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

suze,

I think you are right...too much, too little time...Paris and Geneva Lake are sounding better and better...5 days in each location with a train ride to connect. Should we fly into Paris and out of Geneva or go back to Paris to fly out...

Thanks, everyone...NannyJan
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Your money will go much farther in Nice than in Geneva; Switzerland is much more expensive than France.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Hi Again,

Well I (obviously) applaud your decision to do Paris & Lake Geneva! I also agree that three destinations 9 days would have been too much.

I suggest you fly out of Geneva if you can get a direct or almost-direct flight home. Open-jaw tickets are usually about the same price as regular return tickets.

s
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 11:55 AM

IMO it is a good idea to pick two of the three - all are great places to visit with plenty to do for a four or five day period. I think if you try to do all three its too much moving around. The connection between Lausanne (Montreux/Vevey) and Paris is about a 4 hr TGV ride so you don't eat up too much time on the train. I just cam back from a trip that included Montreux and Paris - it was wonderful. You might want to check out the Hotel Masson in Montreux - its a bit out of town (and a 5 minute or so uphill walk) but we loved it. Youh get a card to use on the Montreux/Vevey bus system - I think it even includes some lifts. You can get a half board option that is a great value play - you get a four course meal for 30 sfr - so that would defray the cost of Switz. somewhat. You can keep entertainment costs low by doing alot of walking - it is a beautiful area. Nice is great too but if DH has always wanted to go to Switz I think Paris and Montreux would be a perfect pairing. SueC1
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Definitely an 'open jaw' air ticket, into Paris & out of Geneva or the reverse. They are often the same price (or very close to it) and avoids the time and expense of back-tracking .
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 06:15 AM

Did you enjoy your trip? I thought you had just written this and got excited, because my husband and I - here in 2012 - are getting ready to do a similar trip at the same time of year. We leave today, and for our 40th, will go to Geneva, Chamonix and Murren, Switzerland.
All I could think is, "What a coincidence! Wouldn't it be fun to meet people in Geneva who are celebrating the same thing?" but it looks like it was several years ago for you.
Oh, well ... we've been to Chamonix many times and love it, but I have spent no time in Geneva, and was interested in the responses about what to do there. Blessings. Holly
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 06:29 AM

Check out the OP date. Wonder how the trip worked out.