paris for 4th time

Sep 20th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

paris for 4th time

Hi. We are going to Paris again next May. This will be our 4th trip to Paris. Our first trip was spent visiting museums and the must sees. Our second visited the sites we weren't able to see on our first, including Versailles. Last May was spent walking around for pure enjoyment rather than w/a destination in mind, visiting new neighborhoods, sitting in the parks, and revisiting certain favorite spots. We both love Paris and could not mind repeating our last trip. However I am wonderning if there is something special that we should do this trip (eg: a cooking class, a Michael Osman tour (not sure what to tour w/him) and was hoping for some ideas on how to make this as wonderful as our other Paris trips.
We are in our early 40's, foodies, love to walk, appreciate history and art, afraid of heights (no hot air baloon suggestions please!)
Thanks in advance.
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:25 AM

I've been 9-10 times, so I'm in a similar position. My last trip was for a long weekend Nov 06.

I still have a list of places I haven't been, and I check a few off last trip: Jaquemart Andre museum, Chapelle Expiatoire, Grands Magasins/xmas lights, covered galleries, and the auction area of rue Drouot.

I revisited some of my favorite locations, took in one nighttime classical concert at a very small churhc in the 5th, and visited friends at a Canadian Pub.

I also had a fairly long list fo restaurants that I had complied using comments from Fodors, Chowhound and a few french Paris food blogs. So I tried a few (never near enough) new restaurants. One of my favorite things to do.

I also stayed in the 16th, in an area I was not familiar with. I walked around that neighbourhood, went to see the top french film at the time, and found a nice fish place nearby. I also had a small cafe at the end of my street that became my breakfast place. I'd pick up a newspaper from the stand outside, go in and have a cafe/OJ/croissant every day, read paper then start my day.

Did a lot of walking. Also, I felt like I did not know enough about the Marais, so I took 2 walking tours of the area (Paris Walks).

I'm planning a trip next year. I'll probably plan it around...a concert/art exhibit/sporting event. I'm also looking a what day trips I may do (people here like Vaux le Vicomte), and the moment Strasbourg has some appeal.
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM

I don't think I have any paricularly over the top or special ideas, but here are 2 things that I've found have added to my many trips to Paris...

Do you stay in the same neighborhood each time? If so, I suggest staying somewhere different and getting to know that area in depth.

Pick up the book "An Hour from Paris" at a Paris bookstore and do some day trips. I love this book. Great directions with food, sightseeing, and walking suggestions. Highly recommended.

I'm sure other will have more ideas. Have a great trip!

Zoe
Sep 20th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Zoecat reminds me...
There are a series of books by Thirza Valois (2/3) that take each of the arrondissements, gives you some history, and a walking tour with fairly in depth commentary along the way.

One of my goals is to follow a couple of her arr. walks.
Sep 20th, 2007, 11:46 AM

This last trip I took a boat ride up St. Martin's canal to Parc de la Villette. The boat trip itself was relaxing and interesting. I wish I had taken the trip earlier in the day so I could have spent some time at the park

I've wondered if there is much to see in St. Denis besides the cathedral. On a bus tour to Brugge we passed through the northern part of Paris, and the tour guide mentioned that the kings and queens of France were buried there.
Sep 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Michel Paris, the Jaquemart Andre museum is on my list for next year. Also, we try new restaurants every year. Did you find any new and notable ones? We don't mind the ones that are far out as it gives us a new neighborhood to explore.
I have never gone to the flea market-is that worth the trip?
Sep 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Beside the things you haven't seen in past trips, keep in mind that there are always a few new things every year. For example, the Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine just opened this week. (www.citechaillot.fr)
Sep 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Kerouac, the Orangerie has never been open so we are excited for that this trip too!
Sep 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Some new restos for me last trip were:

La Jacobine (6e), 59 r St Andre des Arts, very small, had maigret de canard and a tasty fish soup

The Great Canadian Pub (6e), Quai des Augustins..beer and scotch

Cafe Hugo (4e), Place des Vosges, nice lunch of bavette de veau, veggies and potatoe gratine.

Chez Clement (6e), rue St Andre des Arts, terrine,chicken & potatoes

Brasserie de l'Ile st Louis (4e), lunch of faux fillet and frites

Rotonde de la Muette (16e), 12 Chausse de la Muette, veggie soup and excellent sole meuniere

Miss Manon (4e), 87 rue St Antoine, lunch place (Paul's was closed) sandwich and sweet

Bistrot du 7ieme (7e) 56 blvd Latour Maubourg, terrine de porc, escalope de veau + fries

I liked all these places.

Sep 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM

I decided I hate all of you - 4 times? 9 times? Jealous? Of course!

Have a great trip. I'm still dreaming to have my second trip.
Sep 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM

plambers, we spent a day with Michael Osman on our last trip (our 10th) and it was well worth it. We chose a walking tour of the Marais and the Bastille area. It is amazing how much more I saw and appreciated when I wasn't the person with the map, telling everyone where to turn! Michael was so entertaining and informative, we've booked him for 2 days on our next trip. If you have the opportunity to spend a day with Michael, I'd highly recommend it.
Sep 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM

One my husband's third trip and my fifth, we had breakfast at a cafe near the Bastille and watched people heading to work.

Then we wandered over to the Promenade Plantee. We spent some time at ground level, checking out the cool studios in the arches, then went up on top, and walked the length of it, out to a park full of skateboarders. We enjoyed the formal layout of the flower beds, looking out over the roof tops and, well, into people's apartment windows (not a voyeur, just interested in seeing how people live, I swear!)

We found an out of the way place in the neighborhood at the end for lunch, then wandered back to our hotel on street level, stopping at cafes whenever we were tired for a glass of wine and a rest. We like to walk, and probably got in 10 miles this day, but it was leisurely and interesting.

For a crazier way to spend your time, try IndyTraveler's plan to have a drink in every arrondissment. I don't know how to link to a thread, but search for The Traveling Sot and you will find it!
Sep 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM

I agree with Zoecat: "Do you stay in the same neighborhood each time? If so, I suggest staying somewhere different and getting to know that area in depth."

Ms. Claude E.A. Bear and I will be in Paris for the 4th time for the month of May, and we decided to stay near Gare d'Austerlitz (just at the edge of Jardin des Plantes) after staying in the Marais, near Place Clichy, and in the 7e the previous times. We hope to become familiar with a new "home" area, as well as revisiting places we like (the Marais, Parc Monceau area, Oberkampf, etc.).