Search

Paris first timers - suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris first timers - suggestions please

Hello friends,

I hope everyone is well. Several of my family members (all married female's in their mid 50s) are visiting Paris for a family trip for a week.

I am looking for some recommendations to make their trip:

1) Where can they get Prepaid SIM card for use in Paris? They will be arriving at CDG airport, is there an outlet they can get the SIM card from out there?

If not where do you suggest? They are staying on Avenue George V

They have unlocked mobiles which will work on any SIM card

2) Do you highly recommend any tour and/or guide that can either take them around Paris, or maybe a day trip somewhere close?

They would like something very safe, and if its a bit expensive, that's fine!

3) Any must try restaurants/cafes/pastry shops that they must try?

4) Any other must do's apart from the Eiffel Tower, Louvre?

5) Any safety tips, tourist traps to avoid?

They are vegetarian, i.e. vegetables, cheeses, eggs are ok, but no Fish or Poultry

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated

wonderfultravels
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 10:30 PM

I love walking along the Seine, Notre Dame, Rodin museum, Opera Garnier, Madeleine, Sacre Coeur & Pantheon. My favourites would be Seine, Opera (beautiful) & Rodin (fascinating). Versailles or Fountainebleau for a day trip.

I am a vegetarian too - loved the food at le Chenin with delightful hosts but need to book (nr Arc de Triomphe) & Hugos (nr Montmartre).
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 11:35 PM

1) Lebara SIM - can order before you leave. I had a conference call every night when I was there and it worked great. Local calls are practically free and intl. calls are super cheap. Top off online. http://www.lebara.fr/?isoCode=en_GB

3) Best hot chocolate: www.chocoparis.com
World class falafel (vegetarian) at L'as du Falafel

4) D'Orsay, Rodin Museum, L'Orangerie, wander the streets of the Marais and St. Germaine

5) I just returned - hadn't been there in a while. Felt extremely safe to me, much safer than many US cities. To me, the Champs D'Elysee is sadly now a tourist trap.
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 11:51 PM

Michael Osman is an American who lives in Paris and is an artist/ He does private tours and has a set frr no matter how n=mant are in your party. He is a fun guy and VERY knowledgeable. He can tailor a tour on what you want or give a n overview. He'I have to look up his website i'll post it later!s also good with day trips for Giverney Auvers Versailles etc!
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:02 AM

His [email protected] ,,,,or you can find him on facebook!
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 05:21 AM

4.) Highly recommended are the Musee D'Orsay, the Musee Rodin, the Orangerie, a Seine cruise in the evening to see the lights of Paris come on (we like the Vedettes du Pont Neuf), a visit to Sainte Chapelle for its beautiful stained glass. It is best to go on a sunny morning to see the glass at its most beautiful.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 06:13 AM

Another vote for Michael.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 06:30 AM

For a prepaid SIM card,www.lebara.com - top it up once you get there.

All of Paris is safe.

Any guidebook will explain what there is to do and see in Paris apart from the Eiffel Tower. They are tourists; if they go see the main sites, they will end up in the "tourist traps." Just don't send them to the Moulin Rouge or the Champs Elysées.

They will be fine for food - there are myriad options almost anywhere that don't involve meat or fish or poultry.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 09:01 AM

As others have said, as long as you use common sense, Paris is very safe. Don't keep expensive electronics out with easy access, don't wear expensive jewelry, and they'll be fine.
And, as far as tours, expensive doesn't always mean "best." My recommendations: Paris Walks offers a large variety of mostly 2-hour guided walks for about 12 Euro, with the cholocate one closer to 30. Go to Gare St. Lazare, take the 30-minute train to Vernon, then bus to Giverny for Monet's house & gardens.
The "must do's" depend on their own tastes. Once at the Louvre was enough for me, but I've been back to the Orsay about 8 times. Concerts at St. Chapelle?
What time of year are they going to be there? If May-Sept., especially, they can buy a lot of fresh fruit at the street markets. Definitely recommend the quiches, many available without meat, omelettes, salads, lovely asparagus dishes.
I get the sense it's their first trip -- they should not be afraid to explore ... just start walking. Hop on the metro and jump off at any stop. Take the buses. First day, take the hop on hop off bus tour -- it will give them a good sense of the city.
They won't be far from Parc Monceau, one of my favorites. If they're their in nice weather, put together a yummy picnic with cheeses, bread, fruit and some pastries -- go to a park, or sit along the Seine ... those are some of my best memories.
Enjoy!
Pastries -- you really can't go wrong, but Gerard Mulot is one of my favorites.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 04:03 PM

For sights, in addition to everything else that people have mentioned, I also recommend the Luxembourg Gardens. Beautiful and peaceful. Have a picnic on the lawn next to the Eiffel Tower. Climb to the top of the towers of Notre Dame (one of the highlights of our trip). Attend Mass at Notre Dame.