Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris favourite sandwich / sandwich place?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our trip in June, it looks like the primary casualty of the loonie / euro battle (loonie = CAD $ ) will be restaurant meals. The boys (aged 8, 11, and 40ish...) are not particularly foodie to start with, and we were always going to be picnic and apartment meal oriented anyway, but now figuring it will be even more so!

The boys are more in the "baguette jambon" sandwich audience, but I am going to be looking for something more interesting and creative...

Do you have a place where you got a particularly memorable sandwich in Paris?

thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:21 AM

We just returned from a month on Paris...see trip report 29 nights in the City of Light for all recommendations. But far and above the best sandwhich we had was at a covered market that is open all days except Monday. It is called Marche des Enfants Rouge. There is a sandwhich/crepe vendor there (the only one) who makes the most incredible sandwhiches. A far warning they are huge, but really well priced at 5 euros! The gentlemen who owns the stand is a joy and the incredients he uses are the freshest possible and his seasonings are superb. Grab the sandwhich then eat across the street in the Temple Square Park.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

JenG - thanks for your reply! Your trip report and the description of the sandwich guy with the "20 or so spices" was actually one of the things that triggered my question (but I couldn't remember exactly which post it was in!) I have now made a concrete note on that one...
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:43 AM

Unfortunately, I can't tell you the name of the sandwich shop. But two years ago, my daughter and I stayed at the Hotel de Turenne at 20, Avenue de Tourville in the 7th. A couple of doors down was a little hole in the wall shop that we really enjoyed. The frites they served with their sandwiches were so good! When you ordered a sandwich (a variety of hot sandwiches including a gyros type one, shish kabobs, hamburger patties, etc.) you chose one of three or four sauces which they then put on your sandwich as well as giving you a puddle of it in which to dip the frites. Heaven! And quite reasonable. Seems to me that for both of us, the sandwich, frites and a drink from their cooler was about 12 or 13 Euro.

I was thoroughly amazed at how cheaply (and well!) we were able to eat in Paris. I suspect your boys will enjoy the crepes from the street stands too. Not only the sweet ones, but the ham and cheese ones. Wow, do I miss those!

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:45 AM

CAPH, my kids get sandwiches all the time from that place when we're in Paris. It's one of those places you'd never notice the name of, though.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - these are exactly the kinds of suggestions I'm looking for! Crepe question... my 11 year old and my husband are not big cheese fans (I know... I know... my youngest and I make up for it though!) Do savoury crepes pretty much all come with cheese, or are there no cheese options?
Thanks again!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Exactly, St. Cirq! I don't think I forgot the name, I just never noticed it to begin with!

I hope someone else has a better answer to your crepe question. However, there was a great crepe stand on Rue Cler (as we were waiting, someone said it's the best in Paris!) that put egg, onion, etc. on their crepes. With all of that other stuff, it might be possible to leave off the cheese.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:17 AM

I adore baguette with sliced hard boiled eggs, tuna, lettuce and mayo. Available all over.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:17 AM
tod

JenG - Get off at the metro stop Mabillon and walk a very short way up rue Mabillon/Cnr.rue Clement, and you will come to Marche St-Germain, immediately recognisable by the dozens of archways all around the huge square building. This is an old (looks very modern) covered food market opened in 1818 taking over the site from a former fairground.
Today it has loads of take-out meals, shops and wine sold by the glass out on the patio from Nicolas wine store.
A hop-skip & jump away in rue des Ciseaux on a corner with rue Gozlin is Vesuvio Pizza.
All just off blvd Saint Germain opposite the famous church ( where you will also find a crepe stand).

If you like chinese I can direct you to several with menus for around 8 euros.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Yikes! I meant "tomato," not "tuna." They have them with tuna as well, but it interferes with the delicate flavors too much.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:29 AM
tod

Just seen your crepe question and have to tell you about Creperie Beaubourg, 2 Rue Brisemiche - Next to George Pompidou Centre. It's a big place and serves up every kind of crepe you can imagine! Has a large terrace and indoor seating with a view over the fountain and St.Merri church.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:34 AM

The Boulangeries Paul chain has a good lunch menu including a very cheap children's menu that includes a sandwich, frites, choice of pastry and drink. The adult menu is good too. It's a good option if you want to eat your sandwich at a table...and pick up a few more delicious pain au raisin to go.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:06 AM

great post, canada v!

and thanks for the crepe suggestion, tod. that place is right next to the apt we'll be staying in june! yumm!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM

<B>PLEASE POST THE LOCATION OF YOUR RECOMMENDED SANDWICH VENDOR AT FOODIELAND</b>

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...8da201&t=h&z=6

I hope we can build up this map to a really comprehensive guide to good food everywhere.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM

Really been unimpressed with sandwiches in Paris. Mostly seen sandwiches with ham and butter early on.

There were few making them with "crudites."

If they had something like Subway (or better yet, Quiznos but they don't go international like Subway), I'd probably check that out first. But Subways in places like Vienna and Sweden are not that cheap either.

Best sandwich I ever had in France was some place in the Loire, a bakery I went to because I was famished. They made it to order and I couldn't believe how good it was, with this light mayo (which I normally don't take). Fresh tomatoes and plenty of other crudites.

Can't remember the name or place though...
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM

<<If they had Subway......>> OMG, surely this is a joke? Squishy rolls and mayo-loaded tuna over a baguette with good Italian tuna, a dab of good mayo and fresh lettuce and tomato? The mind boggles. I don't mind the occasional Subway or Quiznos, but they're not in the same league at all.

There are great sandwiches all over Paris, IMO (including pretty decent ones at the train stations). I don't think it's even necessary to hunt a particular one down - surely wherever you are there will be a good sandwich somewhere nearby. But it's good to have the info here in case you find yourself somewhere near one of the ones mentioned when hunger strikes.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM

No not joking at all.

If you can get authentic jambon du pays or in Spain, ham from Serrano, great.

But if you feel like chicken or don't want to pay up the nose for "authentic" prosciutto with reggiano on a hard piece of bread and no other garnish, then it's a nice change of pace.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:27 AM
tod

OK Robes I see how it all works! Sorry to be so dumb on your other post!! But PLEASE tell me how to put co-ordinates into my Garmin.
We use it when travelling but punch in the address NOT co-ordinates.
Thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Sorry, Garmin not spoken here.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:53 AM

you won't have a problem finding sandwiches in paris! however, for a safe bet, there is a chain called "paul" (mostly take away) and they have many sandwiches for around 4 euros. you can find them in most neighborhoods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -