Notices

Paris Fashion shows

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Fashion shows

Anyone been? It's been a small personal dream of mine to hit one. Anyone know where I should start to try and see one this spring?
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:34 PM

I think grasshopper went to the shows at Galleries Lafayette.

http://www.galerieslafayette.com/
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Yes, department stores Le Printemps and Galeries Lafayette have them, one requires reservations, the other doesn't, I forget which is which, but the websites should tell you.

If you meant couture shows, those are by invitation only.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 12:50 AM

I went to the fashion show at Galleries Lafayette last year. You need to make a reservation on their website. I really enjoyed it as part of the "Paris experience" for me. They are held twice a week.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 05:57 AM

If you want the department store shows, the Galeries Lafayette show is on Friday at 3:00PM. You must have a reservation. Your hotel can do that for you or you can reserve in person at the courtesy desk in the store. I suggest you get there early for the better seats.

Pringtemps has a show on Tuesday morning at 10:00. No reservation required. It is under a beautiful stained glass dome in the restaurant of the store.

I went to both of them last month and Pringtemps last spring. GF featured dressier clothes. Pringtemps was more casual. Both were fun.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 07:39 AM

You can reserve at Galerie Lafayette through its website. The show lasts just under an hour, with beautiful models and clothing that appears to be actually wearable (if you are a certain size with a certain budget, of course). Don't forget to go to the courtesy desk with your passport or a copy of it to get your discount shopping card, and then after buying a certain amount, you return with your sales slips and get a free shopping bag. After the fashion show, take the stairs to the roof for a fabulous view of the city.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Assuming you're looking to attend a show put on by a name designer during one of the Fashion Weeks, and not the one at the Department Stores, then you're looking at a relatively tough task unless you're the type of person that is on a first name basis with the store manager at your local Saks, Neiman-Marcus, and Nordstrom and their boss. (If you are, then certainly you get invited to local events they might host.)

If you are one of those people, then start there. I used to do quite a bit of work with people at the highest levels of Saks Fifth Avenue and they had some ability to get their very best customers added to guest lists if they hadn't already been invited by the designers directly. To be realistic, I'm talking the type of customer that spends at least $2,500 to $5,000 a month their store. (These people do exist. One Saudi Princess used to account for 15% the sales store in Florida.)

If you just want to go to a show and are fine going to the show of a less well known designer or one that has gone past their prime, then it might be an easier task. Again, if you know someone in the fashion business, start with them.

If not and you're staying at a reasonably well known hotel, see if the conceirge can assist you. If you have an American Express Platinum Card, try their conceirge service.

While most assume these shows are about the celebrities and the glamour, they are actually about business. Many in the audience will be industry buyers and that is the primary reason for the events.