Paris During Bastille Day...

Apr 9th, 2002, 07:28 PM
travelingal

Paris During Bastille Day...

So what's the deal - is Bastille Day (week) a good time to be in Paris, or should I bide my time in London until the party has settled down a bit?

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Sam

I will be in Paris on July 14 and would like to know what to expect also.

Apr 10th, 2002, 07:52 AM
alice

Last year was in France during Bastille Day, and while a little more activity (parade, parks, etc.) it was a good experience. However it rained the whole day, and from other people I have heard that in the past and in certain areas it can become very crowded and festive. It all depends on what you are looking for. Have fun and enjoy!

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Gayle

I've been in Paris on Bastille Day, twice. Both times it rained! However, we really enjoyed the neighbourhood festivities. There are lots of local events, some more touristy than others. The highlight though was the fireworks display at the Eiffel Tower which was like nothing I have ever seen. The low point was the parade which was simply a military parade...quite boring after the first half hour of awe at the sheer scope of the marchers, tanks etc. down the Champs. Lots of shops were closed but many restaurants were open.

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Christina

I've been there quite a few times but by chance, not intentional. It's a national holiday so is fairly typical of those anywhere, I don't think it means much if you aren't the nationality celebrating (personal opinion, obviously, a lot of people seem interested in the French national day for some reason in comparison to other countries, which I find surprising, it has some mystique for some reason). I wouldn't advise visitors to the US to make a special trip to be here for the 4th of July, for example, but if you would (and you're American so can relate to that), maybe you want to go. They do a little more in Paris than in the US, mainly some more street parties on the day (night) before, but otherwise about the same -- quiet holiday, parade, fireworks at night. Other than the street parties the night before (eg, at pl Bastille, at one firehouse in each quartier) there is nothing special going on that week other than the day itself--it's not a week-long holiday. If you don't want to see the parade, I wouldn't bother. I actually found the parade the most interesting part when I finally went to see it, I'd never seen a military parade like that. I've seen lots of good fireworks so that's nothing special for me and I don't like crowds around things like that myself. Oh, there are a lot of cute guys in uniform around Paris that day, like around the Eiffel Tower -- ooh la la

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:20 AM
travelingal

Thanks for your input - I wasn't sure what to expect, I've been to Paris before and know that in July it is overrun with tourists, but I thought that it might be unbearable during bastille....

Thanks!