Paris - did you know?

Old Dec 18th, 1997, 12:48 AM
Sanne

Paris - did you know?

Here are a few hints for those, who wants to see some of the "real" Paris - where not many tourists are around.
1. Best view over Paris (and it's free) is from the top of the department store "La Samaritaine" (metro: Pont Neuf). On 10th floor there is, in spring/summer, a small café with o.k. prices, nothing exceptional, but o.k.
2. If you want to get away from the touristplaces and see the "real popular" places, go visit 10th arr. Especially around "Canal St.Martin", where all the locals are sitting on the small cafées enjoying the afternoons and weekends. Try the local restaurants - they are good and cheap.(metro: Jean Jaurés i.ex or Republique depending which way you want to go the canal).
3. Go and see the Mosque of Paris, which is very beautiful (metro: Place Monge) and visit the small café drinking sweet tea and bakery. You can also have some nice food and if you want to spoil yourself a little and have a wonderful time go having a bath at the Hamam, entrance from the café. Be aware that there are special hours for men and women, so please check schedule.
4. If you want to eat "not french" but want a real good chinese meal go visit "Chinatown" in the 13th arr. (close to metro: Place Italy). If you're up to eating japanese, you can find some good,cheap restaurants in the 9th arr. or a little more expensive - in 5th arr. behind place St. Sulpice.
5. Go visit "Buttes Chaumont" in the 18th arr. - a beautiful garden, not known by many tourists. A beautiful place.
6. If you like sculptures and are a little familiar with names like "The Kiss" and "Gate of Hell", go visit the museum of Rodin in rue Varenne (metro: Varenne). A mansion in a beautiful garden full of sculptures and so quiet that you won't believe being in the heart of Paris. You can visit the museum or... you can choose only to visit the garden and spend hours walking around looking at the sculptures or sit on a bench or at the small café reading. Great place - really.
Enjoy your stay
Sanne

Old Dec 18th, 1997, 03:56 AM
PD

Great tips! I've downloaded it into my Paris file...thanks

Old Dec 19th, 1997, 05:52 AM
Joyce

Another very interesting destination is the Pere Lachaise Cemetery in the 20th arr., Metro Pere Lachaise. 40 beautiful acres, final resting place of Balzac, Chopin, Edith Piaf, Oscar Wilde, Yves Montand, General Ney, and on and on. Many of the graves are perpetually covered with flowers. There are some very moving sculptures dedicated to the victims of the Holocaust. Next to the entrance (free, of course) is a flower shop. Go in and purchase (for about $1) a map. Otherwise, you will have no idea where you are going. Truly an unforgettable experience and one of my very favorite memories of Paris.

Old Dec 27th, 1997, 02:09 PM
Rebecca McBride

I want to download this message also but don't know how to do that. Can you tell me? Thanks.

Old Jan 4th, 1998, 09:00 AM
atina

To download mostly text pages like this one, you can simply use your File menu (on Netscape Navigator/Communicator or Microsoft Internet Explorer) and choose the Save As option. You can then open the file with your browser whenever you like, even when you are not connected to the internet, using the File menu->Open->Choose File. Just a note, graphics often won't save well.

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 12:07 AM
JJohn

Was last in Paris in 1985 & happened on museum of Rodin on leaving Napoleon's tomb. Echo your comment
about a gem in the heart of Paris. Am going back this March & look forward to taking my wife & will try some of your other suggestions as well.

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 08:52 AM
Patterson

Thanks for the info I really think it will help me to get going on a project for school. Any more info on Paris hotels or restaurants?

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 07:38 PM
Judy

It's very difficult to find a taxi in Paris that will take four people. There are some but they generally have to be called. The reason is the cab drivers either have all their stuff or a dog on the front seat.

Old Feb 1st, 1998, 10:28 AM
B.Gordon.

Bon jour:

That's about 3/4ths of all the French I know.
Just wanted to add a few suggestions for lesser visited sites in Paris. I agree with the cemetery site mentioned. Also, as most already know, Jim Morrison of the Doors is buried there. Other places: Victor Hugo's house in the Place des Voges, Picasso Museum, Delacroix Museum (I never got inside as it was always closed), Carnavalet Museum, Musee de Cluny (famous unicorn tapestries and Roman bath), Musee de Marmottan, Nissam de Columbe (may be mispelled as possibly others, but in the Officiel Spectact weekly guide which comes out on Wenesday (also the Pariscope) and worth reading through for all these and other places. This latter museum is a town house which belonged to a family which were all but destroyed in the Holocaust. All their furnishings, art, photographs, etc. are there. Very sad but important place. Outside of Paris I was lucky to be taken such places at Giverny (Monet's home), Auvers St. Oise where Vincent and Theo Van Gogh are buried, Chartres for the cathedral but also I think where Jean Moulin, hero of the French resistance was captured, St. Denis (where royalty is buried, Rouen of Joan of Arc association and there saw a house where plague victims were taken, Chennonceau in the Loire valley and took a wonderful trip to Val vue Comte chateau of the ill-fated finance minister of Louis XIV. It left from the Place de Pyramids near the Louve. You'll like this one. Interesting history as most of France offers.
I'll leave it at this, and apoligize for the spelling as I don't have my collection of brochures, etc. handy. (I forgot, I also saw the Sevres Museum and the Toille Museum. All I've mentioned were done in a day trip from the Paris area, some by bus tours and some by private car. Au revoir.