Paris-coffee to go/waiting to sit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but in the travel books I've read no one says if you can get coffee to go in Paris. Do they have like a Starbucks where you can buy coffee to go? Also, when you go to a cafe/bistro do you wait to be seated or just find a table and wait for a server?
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Cafés - you can get coffee at the counter (stand to drink it), or you can go sit down and a server will come take your order. Coffee costs less at the counter, more at a table, and even more on the terrace. If you mean going into a cafe or bistro for a meal, you should wait to be seated or make sure the table hasn't been reserved.

There are about 14 Starbucks now, and also quite a few Columbus Cafes, similar to Starbucks but implemented several years ago.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Most Paris cafes can provide coffee (expresso) to go, but in small plastic "glasses" without covers.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 02:39 PM

If you're entering a cafe aspproaching meal time, roughly 11:30 to 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 pm. on, look for bare tables, rather than ones with covers, commonly paper, on them. You can sit at the former for a coffee or other drink, but the later are marked for people having food.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 06:59 PM

They have Starbucks in Paris. Yeah! I thought it would be a disgrace to go to Starbucks in Paris but it was wonderful having a clean smoke bplace to warm up relax and use the bathroom.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:16 PM

It's a disgrace to frequent the Paris Starbucks if you make it that way. I've read comments from some locals who criticize Starbucks the same way they critcize McDonalds and other American chains.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:19 PM
cpd

That's a very helpful tidbid about the covered tables - thanks Dave!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:23 PM

one thing i noticed last spring in paris was how nice it was to NOT see disgarded starbucks cups all over the place! ( i cannot believe some of the places here that i have seen left over cups!)the coffee in the local cafes is much better! you will enjoy the cafes much more than any take-out!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:51 PM

When I was in London in September, I found a Starbucks about the same "every few feet apart" as in the US...this was handy for sightseeing, since we didn't have a lot of time and I could swing in for my grande latte on the way to Buck Palace and beyond.

However, in Paris, there are few Starbucks around (I have heard that there are, but never saw one in the week we spent this past fall) I wouldn't recommend it.

Paris is the quintessential cafe' town. To not get up early enough to sit your butt down and drink a real honest-to-God cafe au lait seems, well, <i>criminal</i>.

No offense, but in the week I was in Paris this year and in past visits, I &quot;did as the Romans do&quot; and enjoyed an omelette with a leisurely breakfast. You'll find the experience of meeting the cafe' owner well worth the price of a few minutes saved by getting your coffee &quot;to go&quot;.

As for when you go to a cafe -- seat yourself unless you see someone doing differently. It's a good idea to just observe, then act accordingly.

Happy travels.

Jules
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 08:43 PM

I'm glad to hear Starbucks is in Paris. They fill a need - that's why people frequent them.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:37 AM

Maybe someone here can explain to me *why* people want coffee &quot;to go&quot; ? Isn't it rather inconvenient &amp; even possibly dangerous drinking coffee while walking along ? Or isn't that the idea ?
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:52 AM
eurotravlr

The first Starbucks in Paris is located in the Opera section of the city. It's 2 floors and looks like your typical starbucks here in the U.S. But why travel to Paris and get coffee or cafe au lait at Starbucks? experience the ambience and mingle with the locals at nearest cafe. If you want to take your coffee with you then bring your own travel mug, they will fill it for you but at a higher price. Good Luck!

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:00 AM

Like Caroline, I'm baffled by the idea that a tourist wants coffee &quot;to go&quot;. It might be understandable if someone works in an office and wants a coffee to take back to their desk, but why on earth should a visitor want to drink away from a caf&eacute;? Why not mingle with the locals and absorb the atmosphere of a French caf&eacute;? Walking the streets with a cup of coffee doesn't sound much fun to me.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:06 AM

If you find yourself walking down Champs D'Elyesse in need of a restroom and decent American coffee try McDonald's.The restrooms were very clean and smoke free and the coffee is definitely a cut way above what you would have at McDonald's in the US. the pastries were tempting also.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:12 AM

As far as mingling goes. The only time we got coffee to go at Starbucks was the the day we found one near Mont Parnasse. The place was jammed packed with Parisians. There was no place to sit so we took our latte's to go. We saw several Starbucks in Paris. I really do not like that thick, dark coffee they serve in French cafes. I love everything else about France but just can't seem to aquire a tast for the expresso they like so much. I also don't sit in cafe's very often because of the smoking. Starbucks is non-smoking.

I appreciated having Starbucks in Paris because it was so cold when we were there. It was a good place to relax and warm up. Kinda like here.

I can't think of any reason to go to Mc Donald's in paris. But I don't go to Mc Donald's here either.

By the way, there is a coffee bar in The Galleries Lafayette Gourmet food section that has really good coffee drinks and the upstairs cafeteria in Printmeps has excellant veiw of the city.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:28 AM
cpd

For me the appeal of a coffee to go in the morning is that (when on vacation)by the time I get up, shower, dress and get 'made-up&quot; I'm too excited to sit still! Now later in the day I'm all about relaxing in a cafe. Early in the day - beware my energy!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:41 AM

1. French people go to Starbucks (French people own their Starbucks)
2. Some people might like to go get two coffees, a couple croissants, and take back to the room
3. Some people like to get a coffee and go sit in the park and watch people, birds, traffic, etc.
4. A frosty Frappuccino is quite delicious and refreshing after a day's walking
5. Starbucks is an additional option, not a replacement
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:52 AM

Caroline:

I think that IS the idea. A train journey I take regularly gets a rush of the Gullible Generation coming onto the train a station or two after I get on. Predictably, most of them carry those cardboard cups of heavily branded coffee, which go so nicely with the gazillion logos festooned over their clothes.

When their designer-model mobiles all go off, a considerable proportion of these cardboard coffee cups gets spilt.

And that must be why they carry them. They aren't doing any more work on the train than the rest of us, who don't need this aid to functioning properly: in fact, if anything, more of them are watching DVDs on their laptops while the rest of us are manipulating the inter-related Excel spreadsheets we need for the meeting in Frankfurt. More of them seem to be snoozing. And, mostly, those who are reading have got Hello!, the Mail or one of those foil-embossed airport books, while everyone else is catching up on proper books or writing their medieval wall painting monograph.

So there's no evidence these junkies get any energy from this strange (and I'd have though uncomfortable) addiction. They must think spilling the stuff signals they're go-getters.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:56 AM

I think Travelnut summed it up nicely.

I implore you to respect the basic human rights of &quot;coffee-to-go people&quot; and show patience and understanding for this terrible affliction so hated by cafe owners.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:03 AM

There's something seemingly more addictive about Starbucks' coffee and their shops, isn't there? I don't crave Carribou Coffee, Gloria Jean's Coffee Bean or any of the other chains, just Starbucks. If you think drinking Starbucks in Paris is bad, try it in Vienna-famous for its coffee houses.
It's one of my favorite cities and because my hubby's co. sends him there 1-2 times a year, sometimes I fly to join him on school holidays. I tour on foot/tram alone when he's working. On my first trip, I started &quot;basing myself&quot; from a Starbucks I located about a mile from our hotel. It gave me a comfortable morning routine and a &quot;safe&quot; place to sit on a lux couch and pull out my tram/subway maps to plan my day. I could be accepting of my own tourist status, because it was expected.
Anyway, all of this shocked my Viennese friend who could not believe, in her beloved coffee-drinking city, I was sitting in an American chain every morning. She said it was like being in Paris and visiting an IHOP for breakfast (as if). She introduced me to her favorite cafe chain, Julius Meinl, and guided me on coffee customs in Vienna...etc. I realized that for me, Starbucks was just my habit and provided a comfort zone to ease my tourist fears. They're just as addicted to their chains or fav. houses as we are. In fact, the last time she was here in Chicago, we took her to a Julius Meinl which had opened here! She actually asked that for the rest of the trip we go to the drive-through Starbucks because it fascinates her. They still don't have drive-throughs in Europe, thank goodness!
When in Paris, therefore, I would do what the Parisians do. IMO, it is good for us to get out of our comfort zones for a while. Even standing at a coffee counter is a comparable alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -