New Museum of the Liberation of Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The former General Leclerc and Jean Moulin museums that were located above the Gare Montparnasse have been incorporated into a new, comprehensive Museum of the Liberation of Paris that opened last week in Place Denfert-Rochereau. It is a City of Paris museum and does not charge admission for permanent exhibits. The former Leclerc and Moulin museums were excellent, so I am sure that this new one will be very worthwhile for those interested in this period of WW2 history.

Musée Libération Leclerc Moulin

https://www.francetoday.com/culture/...-paris-at-war/

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 09:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
One of the best things about the municipal museums of Paris is that they are free.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 10:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw a wonderful exhibition about the liberation of Paris at the Hôtel de Ville a few years ago. I wonder whether some of that material will be included in the new museum.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 11:06 AM

Nikki - We saw that same exhibition. My father in law drove a Jeep from Normandy to Paris shortly after the liberation. He still talks about it.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 12:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you, would love to visit.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 01:43 PM

I visited both the museums in their Gare Montparnesse location - off the beaten path, but fascinating and very few visitors. I planned to return the next time i"m in Paris, so good to know about the new location! Paris has so many museums other than the "big ones" that are treasures. And, free is the icing on the cake!
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 03:11 PM

I, too, visited the two museums atop Gare Montparnasse, and -- even though I speak only tourist French, and not that well -- found them well worthwhile.
The new, consolidated museum will undoubtedly be great. Next visit to Paris, I will definitely check it out.

Side note, off-topic. The city art museum was always a favorite stop of ours...also free. As of this past May, it was still undergoing serious renovation, so the collection on display was limited. But, when it is back up to speed, it should be great, too.

ssander