Paris chain Hotel recommendations??

Mar 12th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Suzanne

Paris chain Hotel recommendations??

Has anyone stayed in any of the chain hotels (i.e. Best Western, Holiday Inn, etc.) in Paris? We are looking for reasonable accomodations for this summer, and need to have something with a liberal, flexible cancellation policy. Looking for a clean place in a convenient location.
Thanks!

Mar 12th, 2002, 04:09 PM
William

You can try www.accomodate.org
They have an extensive list of hotels all over Europe, plus links to search engines.

Mar 12th, 2002, 04:56 PM
StCirq

Suzanne:

I haven't stayed at any chain hotels in Paris except the Sheraton at the airport once, but you should know that Best Western hotels in Europe are not what you might think they are - there is nothing "chainish" about them. Some of the nicest hotels in France are Best Western establishments, each with its own brand of charm and service.

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Jan

Suzanne, we stayed at the Novotel Vaugirard in Paris and was very pleased with the facilities, staff & location - Novotel have a number of hotels within the Paris location - check out their site. cheers Jan

Mar 12th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Liza

I have stayed at the Best Western chain on two different trips to Paris. The Hotel Lido was in a very good area, the 8th Ars, and within walking distance to many major sights. You can look on the web and a picture and map are there. I would never suggest a Best Western in the US but we were very suprised at the two we stayed at in Paris. The other hotel was Gaillon Opera, not bad either.

Mar 12th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Carla

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Friedland in Paris. It was lovely. About a block from the Arc d'Triomphe. The room was small, but clean. We also stayed at a Best Western Weha in the Latin Quarter. Not as nice, but okay for a night or two

Mar 12th, 2002, 07:41 PM
shana

I've stayed at a Holiday Inn in Montmarte. It didn't resemble Holiday Inn's here. It was in an old building right along the street, like all the other buildings. The rooms were clean and smallish, and they served a good breakfast each morning. It was a nice place to stay.

Mar 12th, 2002, 09:24 PM
$$$

How much for a 2-3* room?

Mar 12th, 2002, 09:52 PM
shana

$$$ are you asking me? If you are, sorry, but I don't recall. It was about 4 years ago. I'm sure it was between $100 and $200/night for a two person room, at that time. Last year, I stayed at the Timhotel, which is a French chain, in Montmarte, on the Place Emile Goudeau, near the Places des Abbesses. It was also very clean, nice, with small rooms and a great breakfast. The price was between $100 and $200/night for two. It is on a wonderful square and within walking distance of the artists square in Montmarte. There's a great shopping/cafe street just below the hotel. It's not far from the Metro. We stayed on the top floor and had a small balcony with stellar view of the Eiffel Tower over the Paris rooftops. The Eiffel Tower sparkles at night on the hour and the view was worth a million dollars. It was very romantic, even though it was small and simple. One caution, the showers are teeny, tiny, but it wasn't a problem for us. Maybe you could find these hotels on the internet and check out the rates that way. But, I'd call and reserve one of the rooms with the Eiffel Tower view,if I chose the TimHotel at that location.

Mar 13th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Kathy

Suzanne, Best Western hotels in Paris are individually owned. Best western just acts as their booking agents. My favorite BW in paris is the Hotel Left Bank St. Germain at 9 rue de L'Ancienne Comedie in the 6'th arr. Great location walking distance to many sights. Have a wonderful time!

Mar 13th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Seamus

If you are interested in chain hotels for the predictability, there are several levels of hotels all run by Accor; the URL is www.accorhotels.com Properties range from Sofitel (nicest) to Ibis (most basic, but still not bad). I've used the Ibis in Paris and other European cities when I wanted just a place to sleep, wash up, and have breakfast. IMHO, Ibis can't be beat in that range. If you want or need more plush accommodations, Accor has other brands. I've alsao stayed at Frantour hotels in Paris and was very pleased.

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:13 PM
John

Agree with Seamus - the Accor group is great, and almost always less expensive than other chains in the same class. Actually I believe there are a couple of brands which are even more basic than Ibis, but they're not typically located in tourist neighborhoods. Our favorite Accor marque is Mercure, which has a number of properties in central Paris. We like the Mercure Paris Monty in the 9th, not far from the Marais and the department stores (fill your stomach, empty your wallet.) When you stay at one of their properties, snag a hotel guide, which can be a lifesaver if you go on the road at all. Properties all over Europe and other continents, too.

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:16 PM
David

Suzanne

I have stayed at two Holiday Inns in Paris (Republic & Opera). Republic was large with impressive public areas, large rooms with two double beds that were typical Holiday Inn. Opera was smaller, in a quiet side street and full of character - and one night when I was too tired to go in search of a restaurant we ate at the hotel (on the recommendation of the concierge who said they had a new brilliant chef!). We had a fantastic meal that we still talk about!

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Christina

I don't understand your reason for wanting one, but none of those you mention are owned by any American company who standardizes hotels in France. I don't think they do in the US, either, really, but Holiday Inns seem more standardized in the US; BW is just a marketing consortium anywhere. Holiday Inn is a franchise and those are individually owned in Paris, just like BWs are (and Quality, Choice, etc). The only American "chains" I know that build and run them in Paris are maybe Sheraton, Marriott and Hilton (it that American or British?). Those French chains are mostly modern and standardized but if you aren't familiar with them, I don't know what you gain. I think the nicest chains in Paris are probably Best-Western, Tulip Inn (another that is a marketing consortium) and the French chain Libertel. That's a nice one, I think better than most Accor hotels. (www.libertel-hotels.com maybe, check them out).

I have never been in a dirty hotel in Paris, I would guess that goes with what you spend.

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Myer

I agree with Kathy. Best Westerns only take advantage of reservation systems.

I've stayed at Hotel Left Bank right next door to Procope (don't like menu anymore) and would go back there.

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Suzanne

Thanks for all the helpful info. everyone. The only reason we are interested in "chain" hotels is for the cancellation policy. Personal reasons dictate that we may need to be ready to cancel or make a change at the last minute. We do not wish to lose our money on a cancelled reservation.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:29 PM
Tom

We spent 2 weeks at the Paris Hilton with a "right in your face" spectacular view of the Eiffel Tower. It was wonderful in all respects, huge room with all the nice ammentities and the view was outstanding. It's in a quiet, upscale neighborhood with lots of nice restaurants near by and only a few minutes walk to either of two metro stops. It was great that they slip USA Newspaper under the door each morning too! You'll have a fabulous time in Paris, we sure did! You must request a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower if you stay there!

Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:46 PM
Maria

How does Le Meridien rate as a chain hotel? Particularly the Le Meridien Montparnasse.

We have found that for a family, staying in a bigger hotel cuts down on lodging costs.In the smaller hotels, we have to get two rooms.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:39 PM
maria

Some yrs. ago I stayed at the Paris Hilton , near the Eiffel Tower. I thought it was a great location, big room , etc. I would highly recommend it!

Oct 27th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Mike

"Message: We spent 2 weeks at the Paris Hilton with a "right in your face" spectacular view of the Eiffel Tower. It was wonderful in all respects, huge room with all the nice ammentities and the view was outstanding. It's in a quiet, upscale neighborhood with lots of nice restaurants near by and only a few minutes walk to either of two metro stops. It was great that they slip USA Newspaper under the door each morning too! You'll have a fabulous time in Paris, we sure did! You must request a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower if you stay there!"

How were the beds? I've heard that the rooms have single beds, or doubles at best. Do they have queens or kings that you know of?

Also, I've heard that this hotel is not in a great location in terms of things around it...did you find that to be true? I guess there is always the train to get around.

Any more info on this hotel that you can share? I'm thinking of booking it for a week in June of '03.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO