Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris CDG Airport to Downtown Paris by Taxi!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 06:31 PM
Tom Harmon

Need to get from CDG Airport to downtown Paris, Austerlitz train station, 13th arrondissement. <BR> <BR>Does anyone know approximate cost of taxi in FF and time to get there? <BR> <BR>Am taking train from Austerlitz to Limoges and on to Sarlat -la-Canada and will rent car in Limoges to drive to Sarlat. <BR> <BR>It appears to take about an hour and a half and two chnages to get from CDG to Austerlitz by train. <BR> <BR>There has to be a quicker way. <BR> <BR>Thank you, <BR> <BR>Tom

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 08:06 PM
traveler

Tom <BR> <BR>CDG is about 15 km north of Paris, so a taxi could be very expensive. <BR> <BR>We used Airport Shuttle from our hotel to CDG last week and were quite satisfied with the service. www.airportshuttle.fr/ Email: [email protected] Toll-free from U.S.: (888) 426-2705 Tel: 0145385572 Fax: 0143213567. Visa, MC. All the staff speak English. When you arrive at the airport, you call their toll-free number 0800-505-610 before you collect your luggage. This gives their driver time to get to the pickup point before you clear customs. Cost is 125FF pp or 95FF pp for 2 or more. Children ages 3-12 at half price. They usually make 4 stops in Paris; however, they try to arrange the stops close to each other to avoid having to take the passengers all over Paris before they get to their destinations. <BR> <BR>Air France also has buses that go to/from CDG to a destination near the Arc de Triumph. You don't have to be an Air France passenger to use their bus. Cost is about $10.00. Then you could take the Metro to the Austerlitz station. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 08:21 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Tom. The taxi will cost you anywhere from 250 ff to 350 ff depending on the time you make the trip and the amount of luggage. I asked earlier about taking the taxi to a hotel in the 14th Arr. <BR>And the information I got is stated above. <BR> <BR>The pervious poster suggested the shuttle bus. I am sure they don't care where they take you within Paris. <BR>The charge is a flat fee. The service I use charges about 130 ff for one person, 89ff if two or more are going to the same place. <BR> <BR>The travel time on the RER and Metro to Gare d'Austlitz is about 55 minutes according to the official RATP map page on the Web. <BR>But you must change at St. Michael / Notre Dame and take a long march through tunnels and steps to get to the Cluny Sarbonne station to catch Metro 10 to Gare d'Austerlitz. <BR>The problem, however, with vans and taxis is the time of day you try to do it. Paris traffic is hideous. Getting from CDG to Gare d'Austerlitz at 5:15 PM would be like trying to get from O'Hare in Chicago to the Loop at 5:15 PM. <BR> <BR>What time of day are you going and how much luggage are you transporting?? <BR>The Metro tunnels and steps are not overly luggage friendly and the Metro is often crowded. It can be done and I have done it. But, I carried two big suitcases when I had more brawn than brains and more brains than money. Now the situation is somewhat reversed. So I would take the van, unless I was leaving CDG at 4:30.

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 07:30 AM
Sally

I have the same question- We are arriving at CDG at noon and have a train to catch at Austerlitz at 1:45. I know from experience that the Shuttle can be quite time consuming. I have always had to wait at least 45 minutes for it to show up at the airport, so I'm not going to count on it to catch a train. I tried that once before and missed it. <BR>I am thinking about catching the Air France bus to Monparnasse and then getting a taxi to the train station or going by RER and then catching a taxi the rest of the way. I am sure that either of those alternatives would be quicker than the shuttle. Or I may just take a taxi all the way. <BR>Does anyone know whether it would be quicker to do a train/taxi or a bus/taxi combination to get to Austerlitz from CDG? Is it hard to get a taxi at Montparnasse?

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Bob Brown

The good people at the Paris Airport Shuttle Company tell me that they will be happy to take you to any Paris trains station. Here is how to reach them. <BR>http://www.paris-anglo.com/clients/ashuttle.html <BR> <BR>I used them last year and have reserved two seats for this year. One point I might add, taxis at CDG do not always instantly fall out of the concrete supports. I have seen lines of people waiting. The van can be reserved. You call before you start going through customs, toll free. The receptionist designates a door by number and you wait there.

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Pat

Train- RER or Air France bus to Paris from CDG and then taxi to Austerlitz train station. <BR>Which would be quicker to Paris- train or bus? <BR>Thanks.