PARIS - CANAL ST. MARTIN WALK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of taking the #8 to Republic stop and walking to canal St. Martin and back. Have any of you done this and is it worth the effort.

Is the Marais (Place de Voges ) close by.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:12 AM
ira

Hi E,

>Is the Marais (Place de Voges ) close by.<

You get a nice map of Paris at www.mappy.com

If you enter <Canal St. Martin> in the "search this forum" box, you will get a lot of info.

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Starting at Place de la République, the Place des Vosges is in the opposite direction from the Canal St. Martin.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM

We started at La Villette and walked along the canal all the way to the Seine. Of course much of that is covered, but we still followed that route until the canal emerges again at Bastille. It's one long walk, but very interesting. We had a guide we sort of followed and did explore a few places a block or two off -- I think it may have been a guide from Insights, but couldn't swear to it.

When you say walking to the canal and back from Republic, you do realize that's only two blocks each way, right?
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Like NeoPatrick stated, its only two blocks and those two blocks arent' that scenic. I think that you would like to walk along the Canal a little ways then backtrack back to Republic.

I think that seeing the Canal is worth it - especially if a boat is going through the locks. On Sundays, the roads along the canal are closed to cars - lots of pedestrians strolling along. On the side streets around the canal, are some funky shops for window shopping

I love the cafe/bar Chez Prune - 36 rue Beaurepaire and a very small wine bar with alot of character - Volle Verre (I think?) - sorry no address handy for that one.

When are you going? I'm planning to hang out in this area next weekend. I can write back more after I return if you're interested - C
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alternatively, there are the boat rides along the canal, one way or round trip. The part nearest the Seine is underground!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

I had no idea it was two blocks away. Thought it would be a looong way from the Metro.

Have heard that walks along the canal were interesting and thought I might try going there.

If only a short distance, then maybe I can walk to the Marais in the afternoon and check that out. Have been there before, but am bringing some new friends along and want to do something I haven't done before - therefore the canal trip.

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:36 AM

FYI, the tent city is on the Quai de Valmy just as you'd walk up there from Pl. Republique. It only stretches a couple of blocks and is quite the media circus!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Interesting! Bookmarking
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Bookmarking sucks.

But the canal boat trip, from Port de Plaisance Paris Arsenal marina (not far from the Bastille Métro station) to the Bassin de la Villette in the 19e arrondissement, is extremely pleasant. There's a long stretch under the streets in a 150-year-old low tunnel, and then you pass through some lovely Parisian neighborhoods past several fascinating and unusual old turning bridges and one gorgeous lift bridge. Unmissable if you're into bridges! But a fun ride even if you're not. It takes about three hours. When you get there you can turn around and come back, walk through the park and check out the science museum, or hop back on the Métro at Stalingrad or Jaurès.

See http://www.canauxrama.com/e_saint-martin.htm
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM

We went on the canauxrama trip last April. It was a highlight of our trip. The sides of the canal were lined with people watching the boat and we were watching the people. I would definitely recommend it.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:20 PM

Completely agree, the canal boat trip is very pleasant on a sunny day with a picnic lunch.