Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Cabaret Shows? - Jacket & Tie Required?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 11:42 AM
Marion

Has anyone made reservation for either Le Moulin Rouge, The Crazy Horse, or Le Paradis Latin through cometoparis.com? <BR> <BR>How does the cost of these shows compare with the cost of ballet tickets in Paris (I know what we spend for those in NYC). Any new feedback? Would like best the Toulouse-Lautrec can-can type of show. <BR> <BR>Also, is it necessary for the men to wear jacket & tie? <BR> <BR>thanks,

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 04:00 AM
Lee

Marion: I have only been to the Lido, Folies Bergeres and to the Moulin Rouge and although I wore a shirt and tie to the Lido and the Moulin Rouge, I saw other men there without them. The Folies was fairly casual. <BR> <BR>As a note: although interesting, I didn't think that any of the shows warranted the high prices for admission and at the Moulin Rouge, the high dinner prices. <BR> <BR>I think that they are more of a tourist thing, myself.

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 06:34 AM
dan woodlief

I don't know if I should admit this, but I have been to the Crazy Horse. It was casual. We went in early September and made no reservations. There was only a small crowd. I think it was a weekend. My brother went to the Moulin Rouge last year (it came free with a trip he won). He said the information he was given said to wear a jacket, but of course Lee has said this is not a requirement, so I guess either is fine. Lee is right about the cost being way to high (I still can't believe I spent that kind of money on the show). I have heard that you can spend a lot less money at the Crazy Horse by getting a spot at the bar. My brother and his wife said they enjoyed the show at the Moulin Rouge, but they didn't like the dinner.

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 08:46 PM
cherie

Has it occured to you that you are worried about wearing a jacket to where the performers will be in pasties? :+)

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 09:08 PM
Donna

Generally speaking, prices are much high booking at a "broker" website. Sometimes, just a little higher and worth the "convenience" or "assurance of a reservation". When we were in Paris in June, everything we arranged ourselves (museum passes, metro passes, daytrips with Cityrama and Paris Visions, etc.) cost less than booking on the web. The Paris opera houses have a website http://www.opera-de-paris.fr/ where you can check prices, schedules, and book online (in French but easy to figure out). Or, you can purchase last minute tickets in Paris at places such as FNAC. Note that the old fashioned can-can shows are a thing of the past.