Search

Paris buses

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Marty

Paris buses

We are planning to stay in a hotel (still haven't decided which) somewhere near or along Avenue St. Germaine in late July. If I catch a bus on the avenue are there transfers to get another bus to The Opera or The Louvre? Does anyone know how they work? Also, where can I get a bus route map and schedule?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Ursula

Marty: you can get bus maps at every metro station or have a look at the Paris public transportation service at: <BR>www.ratp.fr (check out for English flag) <BR>When you change the bus, you will need another ticket, whereas for the metro, one single ticket is ok with the city.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:13 AM
Marty

Ursula, <BR> <BR>Doesn't Paris offer passes that I can buy for three day usage... on and off whenever and whereever I wish within that period of time? <BR> <BR>I'll check it out.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Ursula

Marty: You will find the infos about the passes on that ratp-site I gave you. However, you will have to ride a lot to benefit (do not konw about the price for a 3-day pass) I find Paris a great walking city and hardly use a carnet (10 tickets for FF 58.-) in 3 days. But it is certainly very convenient. I checked out about a line for St. Germain to the Opera: it's Nr. 27 from Pont-Neuf stop. <BR>The difficulty with the bus is, that you have to find the right stop and sometimes on the way back, it does not stop in the same street. But you can get along with it. Incidentally, I do prefer it to the metro. <BR>PS: The buses do run very frequently. You shall see the schedule at the stops. There are also Noctambusthat run all night long. Just in case...

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Ursula

Marty: checked it out for you: <BR>A 3-day pass is FF 120.- (adult) and FF 60.- (child). <BR>So, tough decision, at least 7-8 rides a day. That's lot, but at the same time convenient, no doubt. <BR>Enjoy!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Graziella

I aagree with URsula , Paris is a joy to walk around. <BR>Buses are very well organized in Paris, however they do not run all night,depending on each route. <BR>They are also more expensive than the Metro because they require, often, more than one ticket. <BR>Of course should you have a pass or a Carte Orange this makes no difference. <BR>I love to take buses in Paris, but I love more to walk, and metro would be in third place. however sometimes it is a better choise. <BR>Bus stops have names in Paris, and inside the bus there is a board with the bus route, so it is very easy to find out where you are exactly. It isenough to look throug the bus window for the name of the stop and then find it in the board inside the bus. have fun.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Ursula

Graziella: One ticket is fine as long as you stay in the same bus. Once you change, you will need another ticket. A couple of years ago, that's correct, one had to stamp two tickets for a longer ride. But I suppose, a lot of people cheated on it (including myself) LOL <BR>PS: I would have played the stupid tourist, for sure, in case of a control.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Bob Brown

True, you do need to stamp/validate a second ticket if you change buses. <BR>But a carnet of 10 tickets last year cost 58 francs. That is about 76 cents per ticket. I don't think you can buy a baguette for that. I happily pay the extra two tickets when riding the bus enables me to avoid the Metro!! <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Boots

If you are going to be there at the beginning of the week and will be there a few days, the Carte Orange Hebdomadaire might be a good choice. The pass is good from Monday morning through Sunday evening, but I get my money's worth even if I use it only three days. The cost now is 85 FF (between 11 and 12 dollars). The card is good on all buses within zones 1 and 2. When I go beyond those zones, I pay extra for that trip. Take a photo of your head; one from a snapshot will do. Or you can have one taken in the photo booth of a subway station. The Carte Orange is available in métro stations or at tobacco shops (tabac). I stay near the Blvd Saint-Germain, so when you decide on a hotel, I, or someone else, can tell you which bus stops are nearby. While the métro is faster,the bus is a great way to sightsee. Boots

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:25 PM
xxxx

To the top

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:27 AM
clairobscur

I can't understand how someone can have enough money to cross the atlantic and still feel the need to cheat on the bus to spare the 80 cents a ticket costs. <BR> <BR>Talk about mean people....

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Graziella

Hi Ursula, as far as I know more than one ticket is often needed when riding buses in Paris. <BR>Are you telling me that you would play the silly tourist if they catch you/ <BR>I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU, you will get an amende that is a ticket and believe me they will make you pay. <BR>I witnessed a clever guy in the metro riding with his Carte Orange but someone elses ticket , and it was rough. <BR>So frankly.....do me a favor, walk or pay what you are supposed to pay.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Harvey

In regard to the carte orange coupon vert (ie weekly): I tried to buy one and I had a picture but they would not sell me the coupon vert. They said it was sold only on Mondays. My desk clerk from the hotel castex (great little place) happened to be at the ticket booth and he confirmed that they could only sell on Mondays. So I just bought a two carnet and they lasted all week. Any clarification. I am curious because a carte orange would be handy for jumping on and off buses when your feet get tired.