Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - been there, done that - now what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been fortunate enough to spend a lot of time in Paris on business as well as personal travel. I've been able to spend 9 entire days just wandering the Louvre and the Orsay. In addition, I've seen the usual tourist sites (eiffel tour, arc de triomphe, sacre cour) and some of the not-so-usual (i.e. the catacombs).

Yet again I find myself blessed - I've got another 5 days in Paris coming up, but cannot think of what to do. It's all free time - I'm playing the corporate wife. I'm sure I'll go back to the Louvre/Orsay - who wouldn't? But are there other, less obvious choices? I'd rather avoid the touristy places and go to places that really show me Paris/France.

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 03:55 AM
amelia

After five trips to Paris, our variations was to do Paris "passages couvert" (the mini-malls of the late 1800's) one trip. Here is a recent thread that had a lot of ideas, including these passages:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:22 AM

Do a text search for 100 great things to do in Paris
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:36 AM

Hi Nancy,

I'm having problems with the search engine today. There is at least one string on "the 100 top things to do in Paris" but can't locate it right now. Also the link that Amelia provided doesn't seem to lead to anything (may be the link or the search engine-not sure). Anyway, you don't mention having seen any of the smaller museums-Rodin, Picasso, Jacquemart Andre, Grand Palais etc. These museums are wonderful! Have you done the markets? (flower, food, bird, flea markets etc.) Have you been to the parks to people watch? Have you walked Ile St Louis to look at the beautiful homes? What about taking a cooking class while you're there? Or how about some day trips-Versailles, Vaux le Viconte (sp?), Chantilly?
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:37 AM

Artisans' Row near the Gare de Lyon. A Paris walking tour--search on google. Have you done the Rodin, Cluny, Carnavalet museums? The markets? Just pick an area and wander it, sitting in cafes, etc. Pere Lachaise cemetery?
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:54 AM

I've been to Paris maybe 8 or 9 times now, usually for one to two weeks at a time. This summer we were there for a week, and when we arrived I thought "now what?" So what did we do? Nothing!! and it was the best week ever in Paris. For the first time we just walked and walked with no real plans. We visited some of the smaller parks in the neighborhoods. We did hit a couple of museums for short visits -- the Carnavalet was very interesting and new to us. And we were lucky enough to be there when the Tour de France arrived on the finals. In fact we loved doing "nothing" so much, we've booked our same apartment for 12 nights next summer and plan to do more of the same.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

First of all, thanks for the replies! I have visited the markets as well as most of the museums listed in the responses. I have also been lucky to just sit and people watch in the parks. I'm thinking about Pere Lachaise cemetery, but also about a side trip to Normandy.

We are staying at Disneyland Paris (unfortunately). The good news is that there is an RER station there. They bad news is that I cannot seem to find out how to get from the Disneyland Paris station to Normandy. The official web page isn't that helpful.

I've not visited the beaches in Normandy. Would this be something you'd consider?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Degas

Here's a few you might research and see if you like:

Jacquemart - Andre Mu

Carnavalet

Cluny

Marmottan

Rodin Museum

Musée Cognacq-Jay

Nissim de Camondo Museuma and walk Parc Monceau.

Musée National Eugène Delacroix

Museum of Romantic Life

Musée de Montmartre

Costume and Fashion Museum

Musee Grevin

Musee de la Monnaie

Musee Maillol (sculptor)

The Leclerc Memorial and Jean Moulin Museum (resistance)

Victor Hugo Musuem

Zadkine museum (sculptor).

Musee Guimet (Asian art)

Musee de la Chasse (Hunting)

Edith Piaf Museum

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Nancy, it is sometimes much easier to plan rail travel using the German site,
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...quest=yes&
You travel from Paris Gare St Lazare to Caen, change trains to Bayeux. You can prearrange a guided tour of Normandy beaches/cemetery etc. perhaps by using this company(I have not used them):
http://www.normandywebguide.com/
or search on Google to come up with other options.
Another idea is to take a guide tour from Paris via Parisvision tours or CityRama:
http://www.parisvision.com/fr/index....;ki=gb6gf8nxfr
http://www.cityrama.com/np1.asp

I've also heard / read that the nearby town of St Germain-en-Laye is very pleasant, with an overview of Paris, a chateau and museum, and on the RER circuit.
http://www.ville-st-germain-en-laye.fr/en/index.html

The Basilique de St Denis is quite interesting if you read up just a little history first, reachable by Metro.
Basilique de St-Denis
1 rue de la Légion d'Honneur, Paris, France
Phone: 01-48-09-83-54
St-Denis
Built between 1136 and 1286, St. Denis Basilica remains one of the most important Gothic churches in France. Its vast 13th-century nave is a brilliant example of structural logic, and its columns, capitals, and vault constitute a model of architectural harmony. The facade, retaining the rounded arches of the Romanesque style that preceded the Gothic style, is set off by a small rose window believed to be the first of its kind in France. The kings of France chose St-Denis as their final resting place, and their richly sculpted tombs can be seen in the choir area. COST: EUR4.90. Easter-Sept., Mon.-Sat. 10-7, Sun. noon-7; Oct.-Easter, Mon.-Sat. 10-5, Sun. noon-5. Guided tours daily at 1:15 and 3. Métro: St-Denis-Basilique.

You can noodle around in the Paris tourism web for activities, concerts, festivals, exhibits, etc. that might be unique to your previous visits:
http://www.paris-touristoffice.com/index_v2.html

Hope you can put something enjoyable together before your trip...
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Go to see horse racing at Longchamps. It is one of the top race tracks in the world. On October 5, 2003, they will have the biggest race of the year in Europe, the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.

After entering gate with a general admission ticket, find the racing secretary's office and see if they have some reserved seats available.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 06:14 AM
amelia

Nancy: Sorry about the thread not working--something about my pasting must have gone awry. And like you, I've not had great luck with the search engine lately.

Anyway, I topped the post to which I was referring: "What to see in Paris after you've hit the highlights?"

I loved Normandy, but I really wouldn't do it as a daytrip although I know many people have done so and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

Although Giverny is also easy for you, the gardens are either closed or not worth the trip at this time of year. Your next time, right?

Hey, have you done Chartres? It's easy to get to--shorter than Normandy, less involved. Malcolm Miller gives these great tours of the cathedral. Really worth it.

Speaking of other cathedrals, Rouen is another great easy destination. The town is quite accessible, has one of those Petite Trains to give you an overview, famous cathedral, interesting Joan of Arc church, etc.

You've been to Versailles, right? How about Reims, which I think is just a skip from your location.

Anyway, good luck. Hope it's a great trip, and keep us posted on what you end up doing!

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 06:34 AM

I would definitely put Pete Lachaise Cenetery at the top of your list for at least a half-day visit.
Also, have you been to Monet's home in Giverny? That's certainly worth a day of your time. However, I'm not sure what'll bed in bloom in the garden this time of the year.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:00 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...mp;tid=1277898

Here's a link to the "100 things to do" thread. (Better than toppping, since it stays here always.)
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:08 AM

If you're interested in architecture, take a walk around the 16th arrondissement and see some of the Art Nouveau buildings designed by Hector Guimard. You can read more about them, and see a suggested itinerary for the walk, at http://www.paris-eiffel-tower-news.c...mard-land.html
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:21 AM

Beatchick had tea at the Ritz - sounded very nice, not snobby or stuffy. Maybe you would be interested in that? For details see her trip report "paris is Paris" and the website for the Ritz at: http://www.ritzparis.com
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:34 AM

And for something totally different: a four hour Segway tour of Paris www.parissegwaytours.com, 33-1 56.58.10.54. I agree with the others who have talked about walking. One of my best trips to Paris entailed 5 days centered around walks from my hotel to a different restaurant each day for lunch. But I'd love to try a Segway, and even at 70 Euros it would be worth it. Seems like a once-in-a-lifetime experience to me.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Those Segway tours do look like a fun thing to do.
Another "less obvious" choice is to ride the (tethered) hot air balloon in the Parc Andre Citroen (the 15th). For about $10, you get a superb view of Paris--and no lines. The balloon ascends smoothly and then you have about 15-20 minutes to look around before descending. The large "basket" holds about 15-20 people, but the day I took it there were only 4 others plus the balloon operator. Gorgeous at sunset.
An even more esoteric attraction is the tiny Curie Museum tucked into the Pasteur Institute; the museum comprises Marie Curie's office and laboratory plus some other bits. Quite interesting actually (note: the offices were extremely heavily contaminated with radioactive materials--they had been off limits for years until a massive cleanup).
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Hah! The Edith Piaff Museum!?!? Ha Ha Ha!
You have to make an appointment to go and its basically a shrine in some guys appartment. Seriously weird and very slightly menacing in his obvious blind worship.
I really could not let this recommendation pass without drawing comment. Best avoided IMHO.
Dr D.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:00 AM

I really enjoy the music of Edith Piaf, but never had a desire to go to that museum -- until now. A weird sort of shrine in a demented fan's apartment??? Wow. Now I can't wait to go next time in Paris.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Hi,

A second recommendation for a day-trip to Reims. Easy train ride from Paris, you'll see nice vineyard countryside, the town is small enough to visit ina day.
It has a very nice cathedral, some roman ruins, nice achitecture, and of course the big reason people go: the Champagne cellars. I did a tour of the Taitinger cellars, built in the limestone underneath ruins of old abbey. Interesting and good bubbly.

In Paris, I liked the Marmottan and CLuny museums. Have you taken any walking tours? I find that they sometimes take you into areas you would not normally see. Paris Walks is the company I used.

Chartres, Giverny and Auvers-sur-Oise (Van Gogh died and buried there) are good for a day visit.

MS

MS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -