Paris - Au Petit Marguery

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several questions. First, what would you recommend eating there? Second, what time would you recommend to make a reservation for - we want dinner? We're planning on going on a Wednesday - is this night okay? And Finally, what is the closest metro stop - and once you get off of the metro - what are the directions to get there? Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:52 AM

You can answer you own question (and any future ones) about how to get from 'A' to 'B' by using the itinerary on www.ratp.fr (change to English if it's easier)...
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Dinner in Paris at restaurants start around 8 PM, so anytime around then would be good.

Metro Gobelins is probably the closet(Censier Daubonton is somewhat further, both on same Metro line) Walk up Avenue des Gobelins (heading in direction of lower # adresses. Turn left at St Marcel (fork in road : Port Royal or Arago left, St Marcel to right) go up Port-Royal to # 9.

Also...I recommend the Michelin Blue guide to Paris for maps of Paris.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Dinner, by all means.

To eat: the sautéed wood mushrooms if they're offered--absolutely incredibly delicious. You can also have them in a sauce with a steak. The salmon is excellent, too.

My husband just loves the scallops; when game is in season, I like the pheasant. Ditto for guinea fowl.

You'll get an amuse bouche before your appetizer couses; so it really works out to 4 course for the prix fixe menu. I'm trying to remember what appetizers we've had and will post when/if I find my notebook from our last visit.

Whatever you have will no doubt be wonderful.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Au Petit Marguery has a website http://www.petitmarguery.fr/ with menus, hours, map, photos...

It's right around the corner from Les Gobelins metro station, or you can just take the bus down rue Monge and get off at Blvd de Port Royal and walk half a block west.

A great place for drinks after is Closerie des Lilas, a few blocks west, where bar seats and booths have brass name plates where famous regulars hung out (Hemingway et al...)

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes I recommend it and also djkbooks'suggestion. La Closerie des Lilas. They gave me a brochure that has a photo of what it was like when Verlaine, Hemingway,Modigliani, Picasso, Appolinaire, Foujita and so many other lumineries of that period were regulars there.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:13 AM

I just found my notes from our meal at Au Petit Marguery. The fabulous mushroom dish was cêpes and girolles in olive oil, garlic and parsley. Our friend loved the melon balls in Sauterne. The game pâté with gin also got high marks.

My crème brûlée-loving friend pronounced her dessert terrific.