Search

Paris at night

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 1999, 02:14 PM
marilyn lunaford

Paris at night

My husband, 21 yr. old son, 17 yr. old daughter and myself will be in Paris for only 3 days. One of those days we will travel to see Versaille. What can anyone suggest for the evenings? I think by this time of the trip we will be getting tired and probably would rather stay together. We are seeing 3 musicals in London. Thanks, Marilyn

Old May 19th, 1999, 03:54 PM
Ann

A nice option is the Eiffel Tower at night combined with a meal at the Jules Verne Restaurant which is in the Tower. Make reservations thru your hotel on arrival in Paris to avoid disappointment. <BR>Another very nice evening is to go to the Lido on the Champs Elysee. Their floor show is spectacular, it is one price for the show and a bottle of champagne. Quite suitable for a 17 yr old girl---in fact my wife, her sister and husband, and their teen-aged daughters all went one night. Runs about 2 hours and, last I knew, the "early" show started at 11PM. At the end of the show you might stroll up the Champs Elysee a short distance and then cross it to the Alsacienne, a restaurant that features cuisine of the Alsace region. Dinner at 2am--very chic! <BR>

Old May 19th, 1999, 03:54 PM
Ann

A nice option is the Eiffel Tower at night combined with a meal at the Jules Verne Restaurant which is in the Tower. Make reservations thru your hotel on arrival in Paris to avoid disappointment. <BR>Another very nice evening is to go to the Lido on the Champs Elysee. Their floor show is spectacular, it is one price for the show and a bottle of champagne. Quite suitable for a 17 yr old girl---in fact my wife, her sister and husband, and their teen-aged daughters all went one night. Runs about 2 hours and, last I knew, the "early" show started at 11PM. At the end of the show you might stroll up the Champs Elysee a short distance and then cross it to the Alsacienne, a restaurant that features cuisine of the Alsace region. Dinner at 2am--very chic! <BR>

Old May 19th, 1999, 04:57 PM
elvira

Ann has a couple of excellent suggestions (I like the Eiffel Tower at night better than during the day 'cause all the monuments are lit up, and when the Bateaux Mouches, bright blue lights all around their sides, float under the bridges, it's spectacular). The boats also have nighttime dinner cruises (ergo the blue lights glowing under the bridges) that are pretty neat. <BR>Years ago I went to the Folies, was impressed by the gorgeous costumes, but have since seen better shows in Las Vegas. Can't speak for the Lido, but it is one of the better shows of its type. <BR>There are a lot of jazz clubs, especially in the 5th. There's another one (which I've never been to but it gets rave reviews) at the Meridian...in the 16th or 17th I think (Lionel Hampton Bar strikes a chord..no pun intended, 'Hamp). And, just spending one night, sitting outside a cafe, drinking whatever and watching the world go by is tres parisien. There's also a Paris guide, in English (we get ours at Shakespeare & Co) that lists current events (free concerts, 'off Broadway' [what's the Paris version?] shows, choral recitals in the churches, etc.) and things to do at night. Place de Tertre is usually pretty busy at night (Sacre Coeur is open in the evening) for a stroll among the portrait painters.

Old May 19th, 1999, 09:38 PM
lynn

Hi Marilyn - <BR> <BR>Frankly, if you are seeing 3 musical productions in London, I would skip the variety show in Paris entirely. Why bother? If it were me, I think I would have had my fill would just keep to exploring the city. Also, I go to Las Vegas VERY often and I must say, no place in the world can put on a variety show like Vegas, and for less. The Moulin Rouge and Lido are over $100 per ticket. I say forget it! <BR> <BR>My advice for one evening is this... <BR>Go to the Pont Alexander III bridge before sunset. (this is the most ornate bridge in Paris built for, I think, the 1900 World Exposition). As the sun goes down (hopefully it will be fairly clear), you can watch the lights of the Eiffel Tower come on and enjoy the glow of the Victorian-era lamposts and gold gilding on the bridge as the sky gets darker and darker. It is pure magic. The night my husband and I did this and then went and had dinner is one of my fondest memories of Paris. <BR> <BR>Also, agree with above about spending one evening on Eiffel Tower. Get there and get to the top shortly before sunset. Watching all the lights twinkle on across the city and dance across the Seine is amazing. <BR> <BR>Have fun!