Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris at New Years: Would we do it again?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy New Years to everyone from Paris - our favourite city in the world.

First let me say that we spent a wonderful evening last night at the 56th floor restaurant, Le Ciel de Paris - Tour Maine Montparnasse. The evening was clear and we had a window seat looking out at the Eiffel Tower. The view was spectacular and we enjoyed the hour's worth of fireworks (of which the Paris experts assured us there were none!). The Eiffel Tower remained lit after the 12 midnight hourly sparkling.

The meal was a set menu and included unlimited white Pommery and Jacquart rose champagne, white wine and a spectacular 1er cru Burgundy red wine. The amuse bouche was a marinated salmon with a caviar emulsion. This was followed by an entre which was an opera (cake) of layers of foie gras and spiced bread accompanied by a fine herb salad and a "verrine" of apple and dried fruit confiture. The fish course was great - a pot en croute of lobster and scallops in an orange and saffron flavoured juice. Lime crushed ice served as a palate cleanser. Next was a veal filet with a packet of minced sweetbreads and morels and a scoop of truffle risotto. Four desserts on a plate included a molten chocolate cake and a fig stuffed with a fresh fruit salad. We danced to a live orchestra, drank too much and chatted sparingly with fellow diners(two of which don't happen enough at home). Coffee ad delices completed the dinner.

<b>Things to consider before planning a holiday this time of year in Paris</b>
- weather wasn't a factor - we were prepared and we are Canadians, eh.
- many of the restaurants that we had on our list are closed over the holiday season - Savoy, Sagittaire, Hier et Aujourd'hui
- Restaurants that are open are crowded with locals who eat out frequently during the holiday season - including our favourite bar Taverne Henri IV
- meals are priced up at this time of year at some locations
- there are many Parisians out and about with their children at sites
- some businesses and stores and cafes etc. are closed or on reduced hours
- if you rent an apartment - owners often impose a minimum stay at this time of year, prices are higher and local parties can make your stay less peaceful
- the Metro was packed more than normal

All in all, would we go again at this time of year? In the blink of a Parisian light!

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 12:57 AM
lyb

Sounds wonderful! Will we have the pleasure of maybe seeing pictures?
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you lyb - here are a few pictures posted with my blog entry.

http://www.travelblog.org/fred.php?id=358964
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 02:33 AM

Sounds wonderful Robjame! We too were here but had nothing as fabulous as you last night!

La Rose de Sommerdand was it.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 04:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
So, where were these fireworks? They certainly were not on the news this morning, and an hour's worth of fireworks would certainly be newsworthy since the fireworks on July 14th last only 30 minutes.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 05:00 AM

Perhaps robjame saw them from London?

No, seriously I was sort of wondering too as I am here and I did not hear any (I was not out) My son and his friend where on the Champs-Elysees till 1:00 am and did not mention any...
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

The fireworks were all along Champs-de-mars stretching from the Eiffel Tower down towards Montparnasse. Although we had a glimpse of the Arc de Triomphe, there appeared to be none in that direction. From our vantage point, there seemed to be one spectacular showing from directly under the Eiffel Tower. Now I suppose it could have been the champagne....
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM
tod

You make me really jealous robjame!
You were in Paris just this past September &amp; met my friend Gina! You lucky son of a gun.
By the by - How much did that fantastic dinner set you back if I may be so bold to enquire?
Enjoy the rest of your stay and I wish a very Happy New Year to you &amp; your wife.
Tod
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 07:48 AM

Happy New Year in one of my favorite cities in the world.

Enjoy a pain au chocolat for me!

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 07:53 AM
esm

Happy New Year and thanks for the report and pictures.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM

We were in Paris last year for New Year and it was, indeed, wonderful. No fireworks that we could see, but we were in front of Notre Dame at midnight (with hundreds of other people), drinking vin chaud.

Perhaps the fireworks were for this year only, as part of the celebration for Sarkovsky (sp) being EU President? I know when we were there in October the EF was blue for this reason.

I would go back to Paris for NYE in a heartbeat and, in fact, hope to do that.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 09:30 AM

I too am jealous. What a way to ring in 2009.

Loved the description of your dinner. I could taste every bite. Also wondering on the price of that feast.

Here's to a happy, healthy, prosperous new year.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 09:54 AM

I believe that the fireworks may have just been amateur fireworks such as can be bought in stores (however, not in Paris, where the sale and use of fireworks is forbidden, ha ha). For official fireworks security, the entire Champs de Mars would have been closed to the public last night, as well as the Eiffel Tower, if there had been a fireworks display planned. I do not believe that this was the case.

On July 14th, the entire Palais de Chaillot area is closed on the right bank, since the fireworks are shot from the Trocad&eacute;ro.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM
ira

HI Rob,

Thanks for making me jealous.

Mind telling us the price of the NYE dinner?

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

The New Year's Eve dinner at Le Ciel was E315 per person. This included everything - meal, champagne, wine, live orchestra, favors.

While we have paid as much for a dinner, this was over-priced and only justified by us as a &quot;one-of&quot;, the spectacular view, and a celebration of our fortieth wedding anniversary.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM

robjame - now I know why I had chinese last night with the six of us . It sounds wonderful! For your 40th I can not think of anything better!

We ate at the little Italian place on our street tonight - most of the meals were very good.

Good bye to Paris tomorrow. I am sad
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM

robjame, congratulations to you both on your 40th wedding anniversary! I can scarcely think of a better city to celebrate in.

Anselm
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:26 AM
ira

Thanks Rob,

I think that your splurge was worth it.

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds wonderful. Glad to read the description, as I can't imagine it's something I would ever do. Have a great time in Paris.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:01 AM
tod

Thanks robjame - We're headed for our 40th in 2010 but that spectacular figure converted in ZAR would touch on R4,085.85 each!
I think we'll give it a miss but do want to go and have the tasting menu that you have reccommended quite often!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -