Paris apartment - is this kosher??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the apartments that I am serious about renting requires a large security deposit, copy of my passport, credit card info, contract in French, and agency fee (what, no first born child?). Is this ok? The agency is parisattitude. Has anyone used them and is this all legit?? Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM

Don't know if it's legit, but why would you want to rent from them if it doesn't feel right and there are so many if, and or buts.

There's lots of rental places in Paris that won't have so many conditions, don't tie yourself to one who does.

We love Paris Best Lodge and have also rented from VIP with no problems. Keep looking, there's lots of choice out there.

JO
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 02:08 PM

It might help if you provide the name of the agency.
I have never provided a copy of my passport, would be reluctant to do so, though happy to show the passport on arrival. I would provide a credit card number only if I am paying by credit card. Contract in French is not unheard of - I have done that once or twice. Size of deposit is relative - how much are they asking in relation to the rental price? What form of payment?
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 03:05 PM

He did provide the name of the agency, Seamus. Parisattitude.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM

The security deposit is almost as much as the cost of the apt. My husband doesn't like handing out that many euros, only to have that back in hand as we leave the apt and head home. The agency is parisattitude. I love the apt offered and the agency has been discussed here.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM

That must be one of the reasons we've never rented from Paris Attitude. I agree with Seamus -happy to show passport, but reluctant to provide a copy. We have rented from Paris Perfect, Guest Apartment Services and two private owners through VRBO, all successfully. Some had large deposits, most required full payment well before the rental dates, and any agency fees were built into the total price. There are many vacation rental apartments in Paris. You should be able to feel comfortable in your dealings with the owner/agency. EJ
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Oops, missed that, nukesafe.
There are several reviews on Paris Attitude on slowtrav at http://tinyurl.com/2d7w6d, most are OK. A google search turns up some others that are not so complimentary. Most common complaint is that the agency fees are high and the agency just links the renter to the owner and then backs out of the picture. They've been around for a while so must not be totally terrible all the time, but I'd probably look for another agency, as there are plenty of them.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM

i find it all standard in these types of rentals
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM

I've never been asked to have all of that. But, that sounds like the agency Paris Attitude which is why I personally haven't rented from them. There's been MUCH discussion about them and the large security deposits etc. Check the www.tripadvisor.com threads. I'd personally go with another agency.

I'll soon have an apartment through www.homeaway.com and I've dealt directly with the owner, the whole time. She lives in N.Y. I paid $250. to hold the apartment, then $750. for the second payment and I'll soon send the third for $1,000. Five hundred dollars of that total amount is for the deposit on a $1500. apartment. After I pay the final payment, she'll send out two sets of keys. The apartment is for 8 days and is 50-60 square meters.

When I had my VIP apartment, I paid $150. for the key deposit and also paid in U.S. dollars. I just mailed them a check. I got the key deposit back within a week after they received the keys back.

There have been many posters who have used www.parisbestlodge.com and had great experiences. I personally haven't used them yet. There are a lot of agencies out there. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM

Since February 2008, under French law landlords are only allowed to ask for one month's rent as deposit (previously it was two months). Furnished rentals often try to get away with asking for more, but the new law is clearly one month max. You could mention you're aware of the change in the law.
And they are not allowed to ask for a photocopy of your passport. Only government administrations may ask for copies of official ID. They have no legal right to ask this.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We've rented many times in Paris and never asked for any passport info. This last time we gave a deposit via paypal and paid the remainder of the rental fee on arrival day. We gave a credit card when we arrived for the security deposit. Other times we've given a check for the security deposit and had it mailed back to us. Contract in French and English have been provided. Agency fee I assume is included in the rate. I've not had it separated out.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 08:20 AM

I was considering an apartment with ParisAttitude, and they requested a faxed or emailed copy of my passport and both sides of my credit card. I have never rented an apt before so I was a little uncomfortable doing that but since I thought it was standard I was considering it. The security deposit of 750€ was off putting as well, if the owner refused to give it back we were just out of luck? That's not something I wanted to do.

Then I found Vacationinparis and found that they did not ask for a copy of my passport or my credit card, they also didn't require a huge security deposit, so I felt more comfortable with them and rented an apartment for the middle of Feb.

I liked the idea of paying up front (last minute reservation) and having spent a total of $944 with $150 to be refunded when the key is returned. They don't ask for a large security deposit but include a $29 insurance fee to protect against damage to the apt. I knew exactly what my rental would cost with no hidden surprises.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We have also used www.guestapartment.com with great success and ease.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Yes, the requirement of copies of passport and both sides of my credit card is creeping me out. Not to mention the huge security deposit that needs to be given to the owner upon arrival. I found what looks like a great place on homestay.com and have emailed them. The look much more user-friendly. Also waiting to hear from vacationinparis. The parisattitude apartment looks fabulous but I am getting way too much Paris attitude there. I contacted parisperfect.com and asked for availablity of two bedroom apts. and there are several but too expensive for us. So I am spending hours each day looking at apartments till my head is spinning! I will find something! (guestapartment.com is too expensive) Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM

You can always try to give Vacationinparis a call they are located in NJ and were very helpful.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Personally, if an agency is going to back away as soon as the apartment is paid for (and expect the owner to address any possible problems) which seems is often the case and was for us with VIP, then I'd rather just deal directly with the owners to begin with and skip any additonal agency fees. VRBO has tons of Paris apartments for rent directly from owners.

Any time you rent an apartment sight unseen(other than a few pics) there is always going to be some risk that something will not be as you expected or hoped and occasionally you find something really disturbing when you arrive, particularly when the agency isn't located in Paris and may not have seen the apartment recently (or ever!) That's another reason why we've decied to cut out the middle-person and go directly with an owner.

When you find something you like, post it here and see if anyone has ever stayed there. It does help to lessen the anxiety and up the odds of getting smething great if you have personal recs from people who have rented the same apartment.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:20 PM

We once were considering an apartment repped by ParisAttitude; but never could establish any rapport via email -- so we just decided that their Paris Attitude didn't agree with us, and found another place.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Paris Best Lodge require a contract/lease for the time you are going to rent the property. They also want a security deposit. For us this was in the form of a personal cheque which I posted with the contract. When we vacated the unit Thierry (the manager) inspected the unit, gave us back our cheque and that was that. We paid in full when we first arrived (from memory). They were fabulous to deal with and I would use them again in a heart beat.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:36 PM

I used RentParis several years ago. I don't know WHO owned the apartment, but the rental guys were involved all along and were avialble when we had an issue with the hot water.

Overall I was pleased with them.

Used Vacation in Paris in March '08 and everything went very well then too! I did deal with the owner when I got to Paris, but he was great!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 09:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I find lots of paperwork reassuring, especially identity documents (The reason they exist is to use them as identification -- I don't understand people who want to remain anonymous. If I were renting my apartment, I would demand a copy of the person's passport also.). Large deposits are less reassuring and should only be demanded of people who seem to be suspicious by not providing identity documents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -