Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris apartment for Christmas/New Year's - I had to cancel, is anyone looking?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody. Well, we had wonderful plans to re-rent a 3 bedroom apartment over New Year's Eve, but needed to cancel because of some family members starting new jobs. (Used to be school holidays, now it's jobs). I'm hoping that our loss will be someone else's gain.

It's the largest apartment at www.parisvacationapartments.com, overlooking the gardens of the Palais Royal. There are three bedrooms with en suite baths (plus a powder bath), full kitchen with washer and dryer, dining room, living room with three sofas (one a sofabed, in case you want to sleep 8), and three french doors that overlook the gardens of the Palais Royal. We stayed in June 2006, so I can say with authority (or at least a biased opinion) that it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed. It rents for $5700 ($1900 per couple for three couples for a week! To me, that's pretty darn good).

Thanks! Hope someone is looking and happy to get it!

Old May 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM

How funny - I wanted that apartment...
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM
cw

We stayed there in June 2007. It's a wonderful apartment and it's like a dream to come home and realize you're living there. We were three couples.

I would bet it will be re-rented without any problem. It's often booked a year in advance. Let us know what happens. Sorry you have to cancel.

Old May 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Oh, MomDDTravel, I hope I didn't throw a clinker into your plans. Did you find a nice place to stay?

We have all been SO excited to go to Paris, and so bummed that we cannot. The idea was to re-capture the June 2006 trip, but I guess we just need to hold it in our memories and make new ones. I tried and tried to make it work out, but my children and their spouses need to concentrate on their careers...and just got the jobs last week.

In its place, we're going up to Napa for the week. It will cost a lot less (we can drive from LA), and I did find a lovely house to rent. Then our son can still do his work and see us often - which was the whole idea: to be together as a family.

I hope you have a wonderful time in Paris!
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Iwan - I had found an apartment that is very nice but not AS nice - (It is also less expensive)I would I am sure have to pay some kind of cancellation policy. It is hard to find a "real" 3 bedroom place in Paris.

I had to email them...I had to ask LOL I will wait and see what they say...we arrive on 12-23 and leave on Jan. 2 so it is an odd amount of time - they might not want to break the weeks up that way. I ran into that with a few places...

And yes, you had to go and mess with me!

Old May 10th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Oh and btw, I live in Orange County So we are leaving from LAX as well - it is myself, dh, and three of our children (18, 15, 11) and one of stepson's friends... so the boys have a room, the girls and dh and myself.

It looks truly lovely.
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Well - I am going to cross my finger, toes and eyes, and hope they say yes. If you get it (and don't have to pay a cancellaiton fee), I will be thrilled!

BTW, tell Alex and Isis that you saw it on Fodor's from me. I told them I was going to do that.
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM

I will let you know what they say - and I will definately tell them where I learned of it. I contacted them months ago and they told me it was booked LOL
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:05 AM

I heard back and they said they have it available till the 27 and they might for the rest of the time but would let me know by Tuesday. I will keep you posted!
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Iwan2go - I have rented the apartment
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM

wow, what a great turn out, isn't fodors great?
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I know right??? And I believe that the apartment *I had rented is going to be rented by another Fodorite!
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

As my son would say, Whoo hoo!!! I am SO excited that you got it. You will just love it.

If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask! I do know that one thing we didn't discover until we were leaving were the wheeled shopping baskets (under the sink, I think). They would have been a big help when we went to the Monoprix.

And my very favorite jewelry store (well, not like there aren't a ton of them in Paris...) is Babylone, right around the corner on the rue des Petites Champs, next to Maceo restaurant.

I am so glad!!! Thanks for letting me know. This is the best.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Thank YOU. It was more expensive but I think we will be far more comfortable.

I will definately take all the tips I can!

Alex has been fabulous.
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:31 PM

WOW! That's what I'd call serendippity-do!
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM

<<I know right??? And I believe that the apartment *I had rented is going to be rented by another Fodorite! >>

Yes, hopefully ME! if we can get our airfare together soon...
This is amazing!

dina
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM

I hope so..how funny is that? Gotta love Fodors!
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM

umm...

Little glitch.

Sent my contract, they charge me for 1/2 the rent.

Got an email this morning - stating they made a "mistake".

The apartment is only available from the 27.

Not good.

Old May 15th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Oh, no. Please let me know how this works out.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Not funny right?

It was strange - as they had orginally said wait and we will let you know and then emailed back and this has been going on for a few days.

Charged me cc this morning and THEN emailed me saying their was a mistake.

I am so glad that they have a great reputation or else I would be thinking scam.

I think it was just an honest mistake of course.

I emailed BACK my orginal apartment, hopefully they will not think me too much of a flake and let me hold the rental if they had not already re-rented it.

If so..well, plan C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -