Paris Apartment Advice, 17th Arr.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Apartment is on Boulevard Pereire in the 17th. I'm not very familiar with that area but am of the impression it's quite nice. 1 BR, 1 BA, $750/week + cleaning. Metro: Porte Maillot – also on RER line C

Here's the link:
http://www.vrbo.com/48081

This isn't our first trip, but we've never rented an apartment before. Trying to save $$$.

What do you think of this area?

More info here with street name.
http://www.vrbo.com/global/siteframe...rties/property
.php%3Fsection_id%3DApartments%26id%3D41%26code%3D CHIC03&returnurl=/vrbo/48081.htm

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:32 AM

We've stayed in that neighborhood and liked it very much. It's quiet and residential, with some decent neighborhood-type restaurants around the Place Periere/rue de Courcelles. Even the branch of Le Petit Bofinger was filled with locals, not tourists.

We stayed there during a metro strike and it was an easy walk to Park Monceau, to Galleries Lafayette, the Opera, and the Champs Elysees. There was a brocante fair on rue de Courcelles that we enjoyed very much.

If it's not your first visit and you don't need to be surrounded by bustle, then this is a very nice, upscale quarter of Paris.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, elle. I'll inquire for more details.

If you don't mind, what is a brocante fair?
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Well, it's somewhere between a flea market and an antiques show. You probably won't find really high-end quality goods, but there's not as much low-end junk as you might have to wade through at a flea market.

My husband collects corkscrews and smoking memorabilia and he almost always finds something he covets at a brocante.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I have an apartment in the eastern part of the 17th in the Batignolles neighborhood. The area around Porte Maillot is very attractive, but they pretty much roll up the sidewalks after business hours. Also, regarding the rental price you quote in your posting here, I believe if you look at VRBO again, you'll see that the price is 750 EUROS (which is about $240 more than $750)!!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There's an article in February "France Today" by Cara Black, (the mystery writer_ about the 17th. There's a covered and an open market an organic market, a flower market. She mentions the Poissonerie Plessis et Cie, Fromagerie Alleosse and the bistro Le Cyrano.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Truffaut:
I knew it was Euros, I just mis-typed it. Sorry, everyone!

When you say they "roll up the sidewalks", I'm not sure that sounds very appealing for two "youngish" mid-50's ladies. We're usually out at night dining late or going to a concert. That's one of my concerns about changing to a more residential area, especially one we're not familiar with.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Jeanne, a young French woman is our house guest right now. She has an apartment in the 15th that she would like to rent out for the same price you are looking. She said it is a great area with several markets and nice shops and restaurants. If you would like to write her, email me at [email protected] and I will forward it to her. I feel funny mentioning this on the Fodors forum, but she is in the States with an empty apartment in Paris, and you want to rent there and she wants renters. So....
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Residential neighborhoods can be really nice because they are generally very convenient to the livelier areas, but quiet at night. The western end of the 17th is very pretty and very nice, but in my opinion a little far out. That's why we ended up on the eastern side of the 17th in Batignolles. We're in a terrific little neighborhood, but only three blocks from Place de Clichy, 12 minutes from Champs-Elysees, etc. If Paris gets the 2012 Olympics, the athlete's village will be built just 3 blocks from our apartment.