Reload this Page >

Paris and ... what?

Search

Paris and ... what?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Ken

Paris and ... what?

My wife and I will be in France for 6 days in early June. We'll probably spend 4 days in Paris, but I'm looking for ideas for another great place in France to visit for a few quick days. We've previously done Normandy, the Riviera, Burgundy, Annecy, the Rhone Valley and Provence. This time we're toying with the Champagne Region or Bordeaux. Any input on those areas, or brilliant suggestions for other dazzling spots? Thanks!

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Rex

Almost too obvious, but Chartres - - and the Loire. <BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Bill F.

<BR>Fer sure....the Loire Valley is the most obvious area you didn't mention. If you drive from Paris, go through Chartres on the way & return back through Fontainebleau.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 09:07 PM
Paige

Ken, <BR> <BR>I would definitely recommend the Loire Valley! Tours is only one hour from Paris by TGV. We booked an English speaking chauffeur/driver through Acco-Dispo website. It was the best investment of the trip! Door to door service, no waiting for tickets, excellent restaurant and hotel recommendations, and as much information on each site as you want. We saw all of the major chateaux and cathedrals, ate at top rated Michelin restaurants as well as quaint cafes, and stayed in renovated castles. It was absolutely fabulous! Bonne chance!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 03:17 PM
rbw

If you are open to leaving France, you could also take the Thalys to Brussels and Brugges for a few days. Grand Place is truly an architectural wonder and Brugges is quite charming. I would highly recommend getting to Brugges at some point, if not on this trip.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Dave

Ken, <BR> <BR>I would recommend Chamonix in the haute Savoie region just about an hour south of Geneva. I lived there for a year and the sight are breathtaking. It's a mountain town and will be in teansition from the ski bums to the climbers, but you can go up in the mountains for relatively cheap. <BR> <BR>The train ride in from Annecy is also quite an experience. Buses take about an hour from Geneva (if you fly there first) <BR> <BR>A little off the path from other more renowned places, but I've never met someone who didn't like it. <BR> <BR>Enjoy the trip