Paris and Bayeux: A Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great trip! I had not been there in over 10 years, and it was a good to go back.
Had a good flight to CDG with exit row seats. We went to the RER B ticket center and had about a 25 minute wait. Got a carnet too. Took the RER B to St Michel and walked to out apt at 41 Rue mazarine.
It was a homey little place with a bedroom and little kitchen with a tumble dryer. It had all the stuff we would need. The owner's daughter, she was great BTW, showed us how to do the tumble dryer. ;-). The best part of the place was the location. We could lterally walk about 50 ft to about anything you would want. We had a large window overlooking the street and we loved to people watch.
Took a little snoozer, and then went out to walk around the most gorgeous city in the world. The weather was wonderful and it was a perfect day.
They had a small Carrefour around the corner and got our fab French food. They had a Paul's right next door, so that was our baguette place all week. Amorinos across the street. Did I say it was a great location? We were not too hungry, our body clocks were off, so we just went to Leons for moules and frites... good and moderately priced.

Next day, we just walked from our place to the Eiffel Tower via the Champs Elysee.
Of course, sat in the chairs near the fountains in Tuilerries. I loved that...one of my faves. Walked about 7 miles, but hey it was so wonderful to see all the stuff I loved so much again. Came back took a rest, and went to our little Italian restaurant across the street from our apt. It was very simple and good, Cesars Pizza Cafe.

Next day was the 2 day Museum pass day..so we did the Louvre for a few hours and the the Conciergerie and St Chapelle.
Can't do more than a few hours of the Louvre, and we had not been to St Chapelle and the Conciergerie. St Chapelle was beyond beautiful, and the Conciergerie was interesting. Went to Cafe Buci that night. Decent cafe fare, but GREAT people watching.

BTW, pardon my French spellings.
I will continue this later.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 04:42 PM

Ah yes, the Tuileries chairs...so delightful! Same with the ones at the Luxembourg Gardens. Doesn't get better than that!

Your apartment sounds charming; superb location too. Nice to have so much nearby.

I look forward to the next installment.

Thanks, Judyrem, and welcome home!
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
tod

Sounds like you took things nice and casual enjoying every moment! Looking forward to more.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:10 AM

If you'd like a little nostalgia for the chairs in the Tuileries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHYC6SYI-9Q
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:49 AM

Our apartment in November was on rue de Seine....we loved the neighborhood, too!! Can't wait to hear more.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 02:58 AM

Great start. Looking forward to the rest. Thanks for posting. It's hard work, especially when you're still recovering from jetlag.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 05:17 AM

Love it Judy. Please tell us more.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 05:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Things start so much better when the weather is perfect the first day.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 06:05 AM

Looking forward to more to enjoy as I enjoyed the start!
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 07:56 AM

I would love to see your apt - can you provide a link?
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 08:57 AM

Looking forward to more!
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for good comments.
Yes, everything is better when the weather is perfect on the first day! We had THE best weather. It was wonderful.

The next day on the Museum card, we decided to do some smaller museums. We went to Musee Nissim de Comando....and we loved it. It was such a gorgeous mansion and filled with beautifully fantastic furniture and art. The history of the family was quite tragic, but his house is now a testimony to his character. My DH and I liked it the bestof all, because it gave a small slice of life of a wealthy Jewish business man.

Next was Musee Jaquemart- Andre. It was great, but not as fine as Nissim de Comando. Both of these were a welcome respite from the crazy crowds of the Louvre. On the way back to the left bank, we stopped in the Louvre, because we did not see Napoleon III's apts the day before. I had to see them, and because it was a nice day, the crowds had thinned out. BTW, that is one thing I noticed for the Louvre, is the nicer the weather the smaller the crowds.

On the way back to our rooms after being Museumed out, we stopped to see the Monet's water Lilies at the l'Orangerie, it only took about 30 minutes and it was worthwile IMO.

Our brains were overstimulated and ready to shut down with some wine, cheese and olives.
Man we were tired, (but much smarter.

That night, Fish, moderately expensive but good.
Did I mention we had a great location? ;-)
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 12:25 PM

Looking forward to reading more of your report, glad you had a great time in Paris.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 12:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah yes, sitting in the chairs at the fountain in the Tuileries:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...hotos-_-Sharer
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the great report. I am leaving May 4 for a 4 week trip which will include 16 days in Paris. which without a doubt other than my home city of New York is my favorite city in the world.
Your trip report is reminding me of some of the reasons that I love Paris.
Looking forward to more.
Also thanks to PATRICKLONDON for that great link to Jean Sablon.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

tdk, you are SOOOOOOO lucky, I envy you. God, Paris is great!!!!!
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 03:34 AM

Wonderful Judyrem. Will you post the apartment site, svp?
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Judy, thanks for the great report. As you know, I will be going to Paris and Bayeux on June 6. Did you stay at the Hotel d'Argouges in Bayeux? That is where I am staying. Looking forward to reading more of your wonderful trip!
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

http://www.vrbo.com/56871
here is the site for Hazel and Tdudette.
BTW, it is not as glamorous as stated, but it is very "authentic" in a 200 year old building.
They had a great coffee maker BTW. And the tumble dryer worked well. I must have a tumble washer dryer in an apt from now on. I would not stay here in the summer without aircon. When the soundproof windows are closed it was fine, when open, just a wee bit loud too loud.

Next day after Museum day, we did Pere Lachaise Cemetery. It was fascinating. The day before was when the Polish President's plane crashed, so there were lots of flowers and flags on Chopin's grave. This was a laid back, just walk kind of anywhere kind of day.....Tuileries again, little side streets, just "being there". Tod, it was a just perfect kind of lazy day.
Went back to our Cesar Restaurant.

Next day was our last before leaving for Bayeux, did the Marais district and Musee de Carnevalet. It was a wonderful Musuem and it was FREE. Had a picnic lunch in a little square and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We walked around Place de Vosges, and just checked out the Marais in general. My DH found a little square he thought would be great to stay in next time.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Judy, you mention dining at Fish. It's owned by the same people who own Derniere Gout, the wine bar where we've held a couple of Paris GTGs and is pretty easy to get to. I'm thinking it might be an alternative to Bouillon Racine in case they have something else going on that night.(As a person with bad knees, I prefer to give people the option to stand or sit during GTGs) Do you have any idea whether they're open in the 5 p.m. time slot and what's your opinion on the space holding a cocktail crowd of around 15? As I recall there is a bar and then trestle tables, right? Would it be an acceptable alternative to Bouillon Racine in case there's a problem getting into the latter? Thanks. Julie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -