Reload this Page >

Paris Air Quality

Search

Paris Air Quality

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:51 AM
Catherine

Paris Air Quality

Last night I caught a news report on the air quality in Paris being outrageously poor. Are we talking on par with L.A. or worse? I've spoken with a few people recently about their trips to Paris and the subject was never mentioned. Any comments?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:22 AM
klm

The air quality in Paris feels lots better than the air quality in London! A couple of days in London and my sinuses are clogged, my skin feels pasty, and I just feel grubby. Doesn't happen in Paris.<BR>Air quality may depend on what part of Paris you're in. I would recommend that asthmatics, for example, avoid the Marais district during a muggy heat wave or high pollution alert, because those tiny streets and relative lack of greenery can trap the car exhaust and other pollutants in the streets. The 7th and 16th arrond are much greener, with wider streets and so the air feels fresher.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:30 AM
Bob Brown

In September, 1999, in Paris there was a warning issued that if air quality did not improve, use of private automobiles would be banned on Day x. We were leaving town via train on Day x, and took a taxi to the station. I don't know to what extent the ban was enforced. I think it would bring Paris to a standstill. The buses, Metro, and RER could not handle the load, at least not without considerable stress.<BR><BR>I did not experience LA type of smog where my eyes burned. <BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:50 AM
Sue

I was astounded last May when we arrived during a hot spell and the smog was so bad that you could barely see the skyline, Sacre Coeur, etc. I have never seen it that way. However, in a couple of days, a cool spell blew in, with some rain and the visible smog disappeared.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:12 AM
ILoveLA

LA is no longer the smog capital of the US. That wonderful title has been awarded to Houston for the last couple of years.