paris accomodation help choose

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any comments help me choose which hotel to stay in paris. we will be staying 4 nights end of April 2007. What I am particularly fussy about is being able to sit on balcony/terrace with fantastic views. this is the Montmarte district. is it common to have to pay extra for breakfast? if so do you recommend eating in hotels or going out cost wise?
1. Hotel Regyn's
2. Beausejour Montmarte
3. Ermitage Hotel
4. Hotel du Square d'Anvers
5. Arcantis Hotel Frochot
6. Comfort Hotel Saint Pierre paris
any information most welcome first trip to Paris or anywhere for that matter! Kerry from Australia
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:18 AM

One of the things to keep in mind is that many Parisian hotels advertise balconies that are quite tiny, not even large enough to accommodate a couple chairs. If it is that important to you, be sure to inquire about the actual surface area of any balcony. And becasue not all rooms have balconies, do try to specify that when you reserve.
The places you listed are budget to tourist class, so you should expect relatively small roooms and bathrooms. Breakfast usually is extra, and in Paris is likely to consist of cofffee/tea/hot chocolate and some bread/pastry with jam. Cost varies, and is usually higher than you would pay for the same thing at a nearby cafe, but some people like the convenience of having breakfast at the hotel. It can also work out nicely if one person goes to breakfast while the other is using the bathroom (especially in these smaller rooms). And if breakfast is a la carte, you can try it one day and if you decide it is not worth the cost skip it on the others days - just be sure to point that out when settling up charges.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:28 AM

It is most common in France for breakfast to be a separate cost, so you have a choice where to eat.

Many 'balconies' in Paris hotels are more like 'plant ledges' rather than full-size terraces. Sometimes they are not structurally safe to be out on. So make sure the 'balconies' offered by your hotel choices truly are meant to be used in the way you imagine.

Hotel Regyn's is a nice location, plenty of cafes, etc. Some comments about 'cleanliness' on TA.

I'd put Beausejour Montmartre down low on your list. Complaints about noise, no electricity, etc. It's very 'budget' and not really 'Montmartre; it's between Clichy and Batignolles.

Ermitage - pretty good comments on TA; it's on the back side of Sacre Coeur, could be a hilly walk every day.

Hotel du Square Anvers - this is also not really Montmartre; in May the square was being torn up. (or was it September, now I can't remember).

Frochot - not good comments on TA, although the location isn't terrible; again, not in Montmartre - it's in the 9th, around Victor Masse and rue des Martyrs. Hotel is 'smokey' and bordered by 's*x bars', according to TA. Even if you had a terrace you wouldn't see anything.

Comfort St Pierre - doesn't sound good at all on TA, nearest metro is Barbes-Rochechouart and Anvers. Next door to some kind of discount warehouse.

Are you sure a balcony in Montmartre is your driving criteria? You aren't going to be sleeping out there, you know...
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Some info on Square d'Anvers (as I live nearby). The property is really at the foot of the Montmartre hill, overlooks a small park (square d'Anvers, lanscaping completed last June), gives you a lateral view of the Sacré Coeur, lit up at night, and his conveniently located near the Anvers metro station (line 2).

I don't know if the hotel itself is good

On typical Haussmann type Paris buildings (square d'Anvers is one) balconies you can sit on - but maybe not stretch your legs- are on the 2nd and 5th floors (European floors, but I think Australians have the same system)
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Hi, Trudaine... avenue Trudaine is quite nice, with trees lining the sides...I cut over onto this street after a walk up rue des Martyrs one time. This isn't a bad area at all, and I do have a photo of Sacre Coeur peeking thru the buildings across the end of the square.
64kerry, you can see a photo of the front of this hotel (and its balonies) on Pagesjaunes.fr by entering the hotel name and the location (75009).
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:52 AM

If a balcony room is very important, you might consider these (not in Montmartre)... The Familia is less expensive..

Hotel Duquesne Eiffel***
www.duquesneeiffel.com/

Hotel Parc St. Severin ***
http://www.parisby.com/severin/index.html

Hotel Familia **
http://www.hotel-paris-familia.com/h...-rooms-03.html