paris

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 07:15 PM
barb

paris

there is a bunch of us going, we think, to paris in october and we just wanted to know if the tower is open and the other attractions? if anyone knows this information or can direct us to a site we can go to for up to the minute information, that would be great.
this is a very helpful site, i wish right now it was a happier time for us all. I just
wanted to thank everyone in advance.
God Bless America
Barb

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 07:24 PM
lori

Barb, all of the sites are open. Make sure you are aware of closing days for some of the museums. Paris has been very sympathetic with the US situation. I saw on CNN a candlelight vigil/prayer service on the 14th. They observed a time of silence. Just a precaution. If there is a problem, go to your hotel and call have them call the embassy. Don't just trek right over there. You may unfortunatly get involved in somthing you are not expected to know how to deal with. The French government and people don't like terrorist anymore than we do. You can also call the airlines, but I have found the hotel staff to be more helpful.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Greg Gallagher

Hi Barb all the major sites are open with the exception of the Opera house which always seems to be closed nowadays. Try anamericaninparis.com. Fred the owner of this website is most helpful. My wife and I were there during the week of our tragedy, and yes Lori is correct the Parisians were most sympathetic and helpful. We were at the mass they held at the Notre Dame. If I can answer any other questions you might have feel free to ask.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Chris Fruitrich

Barb ... don't know if you are a museum person or not ... but if you plan to see the Louvre or d'Orsay or any of the dozens of great museums in Paris, first get a museum pass. They are available for one, three or five days. If you plan well, the three-day pass is great and it gets you RIGHT AT THE HEAD OF THE LINE ... no standing in lines which is almost worth the modest price of the pass to begin with. They sell the passes in the larger metro stations ... and have a great time there!

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Christina

I have not heard of anything being closed, just some extra security precautions. However, I would direct you to the Paris Tourist Office web site for up-to-the-date info and notices and other information you might want, it is a great site (www.paris-touristoffice.com) They have a notice on the page now of special help and welcome to American tourists, with a phone number if you want to call for specific concerns.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 07:39 PM
barb

thanks you guys for all your help, we really hope to go and have a great time.
thanks again
Barb

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 04:41 AM
susie

In Paris the workers go on strike frequently. If I were going to get a museum pass I would wait until I get there. It does not take you into the Eiffel Tower, but it does most other monuments including Versailles--if you want a day trip. You can get into Fountainbleu as well.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 12:34 AM
alex

Other sources, some in french, some available in english, most with up to date news: www.euronews.net; www.lemonde.fr; www.lefigaro.fr; www.france2.fr and www.tour-eiffel.fr

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 02:59 AM
Liv

We visted Paris first week of November 2000, and got into The Louvre Museum free. As I remember most museums are open free the first Sunday of each month. Free admission brings out the 1,000s, but The Louvre is always crowded.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 01:19 AM
axio

was in paris 2 days after the WTC case. The tower is very much in service, of cos with long queues, saw some soldiers with rifles patrolling and saw them too at the train stations...don't be panic though cos with them around, you feel a sense of security. Lourve only check your belongings to see if they are any bombs in them, other than that nothing else