Notices

Panzano in Chainti

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panzano in Chainti

My wife and I are staying in an apartment in Panzano for a week in September. Any recommendations on what to do there or what restaurants are the best?
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 12:43 PM
DRJ

Have not been in Panzano, but it is the location of Dario Cicchini (sp?) the very famous butcher cum entertainer. You'll probably find additional information on Slowtrav.com.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Apparently on weekends, you can have lunch at Dario Cicchini's shop
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:21 PM

There is a restaurant on the one little main street of town--a street that goes uphill w/a church at the top of the hill--where we ate outdoors overlooking the most beautiful Tuscan hillside!! Alas, I do not remember the name but the view is unforgettable. We also had the best risotto we have ever eaten. I think it will be easy to find, b/c unless things have changed there a lot, there were only about 2 or 3 restaurants there. The restaurant was near the bottom of the hillside street and on the left hand side as you were looking up the hill. There was also a great little gelatto store on the side of the road that goes thru town, also accessible from that main, and just about only, street.

One more thing, the stores on that little main street are mostly unmarked from the outside. You feel as if you are entering private bldgs but they are stores. One of them was a wine shop where we bought a bottle of local Chianti that we took back to our B&B and drank out on the terrace of our room overlooking *another* gorgeous Tuscan hillside. We still dream of both the view and the wine--the best red wine we have ever drunk!!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Since you are in an apartment, I presume you may want to dine in house sometimes. You are most fortunate to have access to "Antica Macelleria Cecchini" - as mentioned above. Dario sings opera while he cuts your meat, sausage, etc.--and it is absolutely the best! (the meat, not always the opera)
Also, Panzano has a Sunday market in the village square--I can't remember the whole story, but it is allowed on Sunday by some kind of papal dispensation 700 or so years ago. The roast chickens are delicious--also wonderful cheese--produce, etc. My mouth is watering! We stay in an apartment near Castellina, but go to Panzano at least every Sunday we are there. Much to do and see in the area. Ristorante Albergaecio di Castellina at Via Florentina 63 in Castellina is great. Enjoy!
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Great information so far all. Thank you.

Yes, we plan on eating in occasionally and taking advantage of the wonderful Italian ingredients. My wife is quite an accomplished cook so it will be a treat. But we are also looking for just the special romantic place mentioned above to eat on the nights we don't feel like doing the dishes.

Thanks again. Any other comments or suggestions are welcomed!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Here is an article I found at slowtrav.com -

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Sorry here is the link - www.slowtrav.com/tuscantraveler/butcher.htm