Pantheon or Colosseum? Late in the day.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will just have two nights and one full day (a Friday)in Rome this June. The full day I want to devote to the Vatican Museum, St. Peters, and the shopping areas (pay back to my teen-aged daughters for the Vatican.)

We will arrive about 5 pm on Thursday. If you could get in just one site for the evening,(not just a walk-by, but going inside), would you go for the Pantehon or the Colosseum?

Thanks much. This site is great!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Are you arriving at the airport or hotel at 5 pm? If the airport, you won't have time to see the Colosseum, which closes at 6pm in the summer. Even if arriving at the hotel then, you won't have much time to really see the Colosseum. The Pantheon is open until 7 pm in summer as I recall.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:50 AM
jay

I would, depending on where you are staying, go to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon. There is definately enough to do all three and have a nice evening stroll.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

We hope to arrive at our B&B about a mile east of the Colosseum by 5 pm. So after check in, etc., we could be out sightseeing by 6 pm.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

P.S. Am I right in thinking one doesn't need tickets for the Pantheon? Would we be dealing with lines to get in between 6 and 7 p.m.?
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:01 AM

I think the Colosseum is more interesting, but will take about an hour to do it justice. The Pantheon is worth seeing also, but does not take as long as it is basically just one big room. It all depends on how much time you have and the hours they are open in the evening.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:12 AM

You don't need a ticket to enter the Pantheon and I've never seen a line to enter it. Looks like the Colosseum is out anyway if you won't be able to start sightseeing until nearly 6 pm, when it closes.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:17 AM

I am notsure about the closing time of the Coliseum. We did, however, see it as well as the Forum on the same day as arrival in Rome and were completely jet lagged and it was so awesome but almost a blur. The Pantheon is free and incredibly interesting and as someone posted could be combined with a look at Trevi fountain & Spanish Steps---the latter two only worth a look & a few photos.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like the Pantheon, and a walk over to the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain, are the thing to do.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Even if you don't have time to actually visit the Colliseum, you could always take a walk around it in the evening after your finished with the Pantheon, if your up for it. Its usually lit up and there is a Metro stop right across the street. I couldn't imaging going all the way to Rome and not at least seeing the Colliseum. Its an incredible sight.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Since you will be only a couple of blocks away from Piazza Navona when you visit the Pantheon, you might want to walk there to see Bernini's beautiful four rivers fountain.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM

There are some later tours of the Forum,which (IMHO) is also more interesting than the Pantheon. You should be able to see that later after your Vatican day.
Agree with Novona and take a walk over to Fiori as well.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:21 AM

The Colosseum is illuminated and I have a beautiful night photo of it. I second the recommendation to swing through Piazza Navona in the evening. Also, actually, I really enjoyed walking around the outside of St. Peter's at night. I like to see most famous sites when they are lit up at night.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Just to pile on ....

Pantheon, then dinner at Piazza Navona, then some gellato in front of Trevi Fountain.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:51 AM

We took a very enjoyable evening walking tour (myself and 2 teens) with EnjoyRome. You register in the morning, but if you won't be there in the morning, you probably could register in advance by email. The tour departs from Piazza Navona around 6:30 PM and includes the Pantheon, the Trevi fountain, the "wedding cake" memorial palace, a gelato break, the forums, and finishes with the exterior of the Colosseum. A knowledgeable tour guide provides commentary and answers questions. Depending on how many questions your group asks, the tour ends somewhere between 9 and 10 PM. It's a lovely time to take a tour, because it's cooler and less crowded than during the day. My kids had no trouble getting good photos, even after dark, with their digital cameras. We did our evening tour after a day spent touring the Vatican museum, St. Peters, Castel St. Angelo, and the Pantheon on our own. You will be amazed what you can fit into a day when that's all you have!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 11:22 AM

A friend and I also took EnjoyRome's Ancient Rome night tour, and really enjoyed it. A great overview with a knowledgeable guide, and a different visual perspective at night. Cooler, too, for walking. I think it cost E20 per person.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 11:37 AM

The Vatican Museums and St. Peter's are enough for one day and will fascinate you but will also wear out your feet. You won't want to do any shopping afterwards. You'll want dinner, and maybe some strolling and light shopping after dinner, but you won't have energy for major shopping.

The Colosseum is best seen with a guide, otherwise it's a big ruined structure. It might also be closed by the time you get there.

Rome is a wonderful place for wandering about in the evenings. Since your time is so short, skip the Colosseum and wander about the wonderfully atmospheric piazzas and streets of the Pantheon area. Head for the Pantheon first, if it's still open. You get a look inside, one big room, it doesn't take long. Take a guidebook so you know what you are looking at, a very old building! Then walk around and find the Trevi fountain, Piazza Navonna. Add the Spanish steps if you have time but leave it for last, it's not actually that great. (Beware of pick-pockets at night on the Spanish steps.)

You'll love Rome at night! Many good places for dinner nearby this area. The best restaurant in Italy for us was the Ristorante der Pallaro, a family-run restaurant that will feed you a home-made multi-course dinner including wine and dessert for 20 euros each, a real deal for Rome. Sit inside and you'll find yourself at the heart (and closer to the fascinating kitchen) of an Italian family. It's south of Piazza Navonna, east of Campo dei Fiori. Type in Ristorante der Pallaro into the search box on fodors and you will come up with more info and more detailed directions. Bring a good map with a street and piazza index, we liked Streetwise Rome. Street names in Rome are posted on the side of buildings. Eaiser to find while walking, don't even think of driving in Rome.

We were disappointed in Campo dei fiori, it was dirty and tacky when we were there, with tacky bill-boards!

Bad food is the same price as wonderful food in Rome, and sometimes the good food is cheaper, so DO BRING your restaurant recommendations list with you!

Buon viaggio.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:08 PM

I agree that Rome is ats prettiest at night. I would take an hour and have a glass of wine at the Rooftop Terrace bar at the Grande Hotel de la Minerve right near the Pantheon. The view is amazing!

We just got back and one morning early were able to watch the sunrise over the Colosseum, as it was close to our hotel. It is my favorite sight in Rome and always takes my breath away.

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you, thank you! What great recommendations! I'm thinking: Pantheon, Piazza Navona, definately dinner at Ristorante der Pallaro (Thank you Melissa, for that one), and then maybe we will walk over to see the colosseum at night, saving Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps for the next evening. I will keep in mind, though, the other recommendations.

I expect the Vatican will tire us out the next day, so I'm planning an early start that day and then a retreat back to our B&B for seista, before going back out for some late afternoon, early evening shopping in the vicinity of Via del Corso.

Maybe we will fit in the Forum before we depart the following day.
Thanks again!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Please check the hours for the Pantheon, I think that it closes very early on Sunday and possibly at 6pm on the other days. Of course you can still view it from teh outside, but you will want to see the interior. Sorry if this has already been mentioned and I missed it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -