Notices

Paleochora(crete),a pleasant city?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:39 PM
Debry

Paleochora(crete),a pleasant city?

Hi,
After visiting Chania,Falasarna and Elafonisi,I want to go ,in september, to the south coast,but I hesitate between Plakias and Paleochora?Both of them have fine beaches and give the possibility of walks and visit of churches around.
Which of the 2 cities remains the most charming?Thanking in advance.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:20 PM
Sheila

I haven't been to Plakias so I can't make the comparison, but I have been to Paleochora twice and absolutely love it. It's a small market town with good hops and restaurants, two climates and lots of south coast boats. My trip reports are on here, but if you would like them, email me.

I keep the web site for the last place we styed bookmarked. Have a look at http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/ind...perty/2799.htm

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:29 PM
Nicole

I would have to agree with Shiela-I loved Paleochora and would highly recommend it.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:01 PM
Marilyn

I spent a week in Plakias 9 years ago and it was quite overdeveloped then. It must be a development nightmare by now. So I'd vote for Paleochora.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:00 AM
michael

Another vote for Paleochora, and a suggestion for where to stay: a small eco-retreat run by a German couple resident there, in the hills 3.5 km outside the town. It's really peaceful and natural if you like that. See:

www.i-escape.com/metacom.php

which also has tips on best places to eat etc. If you need advice on hiking and exploring, drop me a line - I've been leading hikes and tours there for over 5 years.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:06 AM
elina

Paleohora is a small village rather than a town. I liked it a lot. Nice tavernas by the small harbour, good sandy beach on the other side of the village, and pebble beach on the other side. I stayed in an apartementos type of accomodation at the far end of the village, just 50 metres from the pebble beach. I don´t remember the name, but it is fairly new complex of pink small houses (about half a dozen of them), and it is owned by the village doctor. He is also the mayor of the village. I have not been to Plakias, but Paleohora remains among my top three places in Crete.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:34 PM
Sheila

Just out of interest, Elina, where are the other 2?

And Debry, you will find good stuff at

http://www.explorecrete.com

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:47 PM
Sheila

I just dropped in over there, and they are discussing this very question on the "Friends" forum

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 11:24 AM
elina

Sheila, the other two are Sitia in north-eastern corner and Kalives on the north coast between Hania and Rethymnon. But who knows how long. I still remember when Holiday Hell named Platanias was a tiny, idyllic fishing village with three tavernas...

I also like Hania´s old town, but not in summer. In April/May it is great.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Sheila

Thanks. I've been to Sitia (stayed at Palekastros), but didn't find it nearly as nice as Chania, as Crete's cities go. I haven't stopped at Kalives. Need to put that on the list.