Reload this Page >

Paddington Station Area Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 05:10 PM
steve

I will be in the London for 5 nights at the end of May. I can use points with Hilton to stay at their location that is connected to Paddington Station for free. <BR><BR>I understand the Hotel is nice as it has just been remodeled. I am more interested in information / advice on the Paddington area. Can anyone elaborate on the area related to safety, general neighborhood character, and availability of restaurants close by. I assume that paddinton station is central for the tube and connecting to other lines, correct?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.....<BR><BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 05:40 PM
janis

Do stay at the Hotel - free is free. But you will not likely spend much except sleeping time in the Paddington area. It is not as seedy as around Kings Cross - but like the areas directly around most London train stations it is spotty. An Ok street and then the next block is really seedy. Paddington itself is not near any of teh big tourist areas - but it is not too far from Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens and Notting Hill.<BR><BR>Tube connections from Paddington are primarily Circle/District and Bakerloo so you will be changing lines to get to most places. The Circle line does pass near several of the big sites especially along its southern leg which parallels the River as far as the Tower before it heads north and back towards Paddington. Other than those, the majority of tourist sites are concentrated on or near the Picadilly and Central lines.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 04:26 AM
AnnaC

The area round Paddington is OK, though not beautiful - janis has it about right.<BR><BR>In addition to being on the Circle/District/Hammersmith & City and the Bakerloo lines, it's also only a short walk from there to Lancaster Gate, which is on the Central Line - ideal for accessing Oxford Street, the British Museum, St Pauls, etc. I do this walk every day on my commute to work, and it only takes me about 7 minutes.<BR><BR>There are also buses from Paddington - the number 7 goes along Oxford Street and then past the British Museum to Russell Square.<BR><BR>The numbers 15 & 23 go along Oxford Street as far as Oxford Circus, down Regent Street, past Trafalgar Square, along the Strand and then the 23 goes up to Liverpool St station while the 15 goes on to the Tower of London.<BR><BR>The number 36 goes down Park Lane, then down the West side of Green Park, past Victoria and on to cross the river at Vauxhall Bridge.<BR><BR>As for restaurants, there are one or two in the area, but they are probably not wonderful. There are supposed to be some excellent middle eastern restaurants on/just off the Edgware Road, which is a short bus ride, or middling walk from the hotel. Otherwise, it's easy enough to get back to the hotel from restaurants anywhere in the city centre.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:11 AM

ttt

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:35 PM
michele

Steve,Both Janis and AnnaC. have described the area perfectly. I stayed there lst year and was hard-pressed to find a decent restaurant in the immediate area. Bus lines and tube stations, are, however,quite convenient, and free is free.<BR>M.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:16 PM
trying

I don't know how accurate or neat it is, but the map of Paddington shows a Yo Sushi there. Maybe that isn't that interesting or appetizing. I just remember reading about YS a few years ago and that it was novel, hip, blah, blah. Maybe it isn't so novel, hip or tasty anymore.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:47 PM
steve

Thanks everyone for the help......