Search

Packing Tools

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Troy

Packing Tools

I will be spending two and half weeks in Italy and I am preparing for my packing. Has anyone ever used those plastic compressor bags and/or the "packet folders?" Are they worth the money? Also, will I be able to manuever a 26 inch suitcase around the trains? Thanks for your information.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Dick Yeager

Troy,<BR><BR>I'm not the packing expert, my wife is. We use Ziploc bags in 1 gal. and 2 1/2 gal sizes and find they work quite well. We have not purchased the "packet folders". I know on this board many people swear by them.<BR><BR>Regarding your 26" suitcase; not recommended. It is a real hassle to try to manuever a suitcase that size up and down stairs, trains, cobblestone sidewalks, etc. If you pack correctly, you can get everything you need into a 22" plus a carry-on for each person in your party.<BR><BR>Do a Fodors search on packing tips. You will get tons of information.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Jackie

I completely agree about the suitcase size. i had a 26 inch suitcase in Italy, and I looked like a real fool trying to pull the thing onto the trains and stuff. it was ridiculous. go for a smaller one, even if it means leaving a couple of outfits at home!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Ronda

I loved those larger Zip Loc Bags - put short sleeve T's in one, long sleeves in another, etc. Could take everything out in two seconds and find things. I put slacks and shorts in the bottom and everything else on top.<BR><BR>I highly recommend you take a 22 incher. You can do it if I can. Went to Switzerland for 2 weeks with one and was glad I didn't have to lug anything else bigger up the train steps. I have taken a 26 incher but it wasn't fun in London - steps in the metro are a killer.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:45 AM
evelyntrav

In addition to plastic ziplocks, I use the various sized mesh zip laundry bags and find them helpful as I can squish them without having to release the air.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 10:30 AM
janis

Definitely pare it down and use a 21 or 22 inch roll aboard. You will HATE the hassles lugging a large heavy bag. Up and the steps into the train, wrestling it in the aisles, trying to lift to to the top of the pile of luggage already in the car - up the stairs in your hotels, or squeezing it into a tine elevator. Forget it.<BR><BR>You should easily be able to get everything into a 22 incher.<BR><BR>I use a 19 inch bag for trips up to 10 to 14 days. For longer trips I often use a 22".<BR><BR>The vacuum bags work great - but they are best for things like sweaters, capes, jackets that take up a lot of room and for dirty clothes on the way home. If you are only taking light summer clothing, you won't really need them.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Elsa

Someone made a suggestion once to pack "outfits" in ea. of the compressor bags. In other words, instead of packing short sleeve shirts in one bag, long sleeve shirts in another, and pants in a 3rd. - place "all" the shirts that go w/ the black pants/slacks in one bag (including the black slacks) and all the shirts that go w/ the khaki pants/slacks (and those slacks) in another bag. This way you just take 1 bag out at a time w/o having to rumage through 2 or 3 bags for 1 outfit. You might even be able to squeeze underwear (at least lady's) into each of those bags. Sorry guys.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Kathybg

Highly recommend the fabric mesh cubes sold in all the Travel Catalogs. They range from small (6"x6") to large (about 12"x12"). We keep socks in one, underwear in a couple of cubes, and whatever else you want to separate. It makes finding items in a duffle type bag a breeze!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 12:08 PM
jorge

a cary on suit case and a good sized backpack is all you need place the clothes int the suitcase and yes do use the compresor bags. bring portable iron.. then throw all the rest of your stuff in your backpack. keep valuable in backpack. or shoulder bag.<BR><BR>If nything happense too carry on hell just go shopping for clothes..

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Mary Ann

The 26" is too big, however, if you are not use to limiting to the 22" here are some modifications that worked for us. Get a 22 inch that has strong wheels, can be expanded to 24" if needed plus a tote that will fit over the pull handle. The tote is great for toileteries, change of shoes, maps, breakables, etc. Even in some cases one days clothes and pajamas. This way it fits secure as opposed to the add a bag straps which tend to cause the 22 to topple at times. This also gives you a little more space without a great deal of hassle. This even worked well in Venice when we took a vaporreto (boat bus) to our lodging. Our 22 inch has a garment bag section which was great for our one set of evening clothes (jacket, dress clothes). Also take a collapsible empty bag such as sporto or totes makes to put souvenirs, etc. in. What is nice is that for some reason when you come home it always seems that you have more or dirty clothes take up more room. Then expand the suitcase, check it home and you are done. Be sure to pack laundry detergent. The dry tablets made by several manufactures work well. Have a great trip.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Cathy

My husband and I just returned from a month in France and Italy. Thanks to this board, I used the zip-lock bags. I just used the regular sized ones. I put EVERYTHING in them, squeezed the air out, then marked them with a Sharpie marker. Since we were constantly on the move, I didn't need to unpack to find anything---just looked for the right bag. We each took a carry-on size expandable bag, and mine was only half-full when we left, using this method (I wanted plenty of room for shopping!). I threw in a nylon duffle bag that folds up into its own pocket, and that is what we brought stuff we bought home in. My husband got a packet folder for his shirts, and he loved it. He also used the cubes for his other things. We got a couple of the compressor bags, and on the day we were coming home I put all my clean clothes in one, and all my dirty clothes in the other. They compressed down to almost nothing, leaving plenty of room for all the stuff we had gathered in our travels. Don't overpack----you will be sorry when you have to lug your suitcase over cobblestones, up and down stairs, and for a long distance to the right train car. To say nothing of handling the bag in the train. I took Chico's Traveler's clothes that roll up into nothing, and never wrinkle. And can be rinsed out at night. My husband got some shirts at REI that were very light, fast drying, and wrinkle-proof as well. We took a tube of detergent and a travel clothesline, and we were set---with very little trouble.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 04:03 PM
flygirl

I find it much easier to use smaller suitcases. unless you are a big strapping guy, it's tough to get the heavy ones up the stairs, on trains, etc. even if you are carrying more than one piece, breaking it up is so much better...

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 04:24 PM
alex

When you refer to 22" - do you mean 22inches high (length)? I assume you do but that just seems so small for me. Thanks

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Sara

I have been using the packet folders for about three years now, and I think they're absoloutely wonderful, especially if you're moving from place to place. They keep the wrinkles in your clothes to a minimum, but, most importantly, they keep your suitcase organized. I used to put lots of things in ziplock bags, but I find that the folders work much better for most of my clothes. In fact, I just went out and bought several more for the rest of my family to use on our upcoming trip.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 05:35 PM
newt

we found the pack it cubes and folders <BR>for sale at Marshallas or TJ Max last summer. I don't remember exactly what the prices were, about 5-9 dollars each. we really like them and use them every trip.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 06:17 PM
demi

I have found the larger 2 -2.5 gallon ziplocks at my Albertson's ..store brand ,they are fine for sweaters,lingerie, etc..but the air lock travel bags are best for really heavier items..we live in FL and travel in fall and spring..I do not like wearing our rain coats and the heavier stuff bags are wonderful, I can pack the coats in carryon and don't have to freeze if my checked stuff is delayed..even though it has never been.I got mine at walgreens on special for about $4.00 for 1 extra large which I used for blanket storage and 2 large which I use for packing!<BR><BR>we have no problems with taking cases over 22'.. I do not like to schlep bags so I let someone else do it if I can;t manage.. so you have to heft it on the gatwick express once .or up a few steps to a train..better that than washing out underwear every night!! <BR><BR>If you take a rollaboard..you will probably more likely to be held up in security,get no room in the overhead and have to sit with it under your feet, hold up boarding while the crew tries to take it away from you, and be stuck with the same old clothes for 2 weeks! Pack what you feel comfortable with!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 06:17 PM
tim

I always pack all my tools. You never know when that hotel room will need a quick repair.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Donna

Those plastic bags that compress and remove the excess air DO save space. You can fit so much more into a suitcase that it will be quite a lot heavier! Buy one and give it a try. You may find "wrinkling" totally unsatisfactory. When you're finished packing, you'll want your bag no heavier than you can manage walking around the block a few times and hoisting onto a high shelf.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:30 AM
TOOL-MAN

my TOOL is with me at all times. It is never packed, only holstered, and ready to spring forth at any time when duty calls. I just wish I had a smaller tool, as the tailors of Seville Row always have to custom tailor one leg of my trousers to allow adequate "tool room"

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Janice

I have to admit, I HATE the compression bags. My clothes always come out wrinkled, and you can wind up with so much in your bag that it weighs a ton. But I use, and love the packet folders. Slightly compresses things but keeps them very neatly folded and well-organized. But bear in mind, I always wear "business-like" clothes, even on vacation.<BR>And you absolutely don't want a 26 inch suitcase on trains, they're impossible. It is possible to travel for three plus weeks with a 22 inch bag - I do it all the time. Just requires some planning and a little bit of discipline. Good luck - it's very wise of you to be thinking of this now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -