Search

Packing Tips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Packing Tips

We are going to Italy for two weeks from July to August. We will be staying in each city for approximately 2-3 days each, Milan, Venice, Florence, Tuscany, Rome and would like some advice on packing. I would like to pack light, mostly skirts, good walking sandals, but most importantly we will be on the move throughout the trip and I would like advice on what else to pack including clothing ideas, medicines, travel size detergents or soaps etc.. I also need a good toiletry bag.

We will be busy most days touring etc. and I am thinking I should have a good day pack to take the essentials with me since I will not be close to the hotel. Any ideas on a good pack (not back pack) would be great.
thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:47 AM

I'm definitely not the one to help with packing light, but I can make suggestions on detergent. If you will be doing the "wash in the sink" route, check for the individual use Woolite packets. I bought mine at the Container Store. Also, I prefer using my own shampoo, soap, etc. so I highly recommend the leak proof bottles that they sell.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Whereas the Woolite packets are very convenient another possibility is a small bottle of plain old dishwashing detergent such as Joy...works like a charm.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I use gallon size ziplock bags instead of a toiletry bag. It takes up much less room in the suitcase.

If you want one, check TravelSmith or the like, they have handy ones that unroll with a hook to hang up in the bathroom so you don't have to unpack each time.

You only need a few of each item type (for example, 2 skirts not 4).

You can buy tiny packets or bottles of Woolite at most luggage stores or drug stores. Myself I use the little hotel shampoos (since I don't like them for my hair).

I carry my prescriptions, but beyond that only very basic medicines and first aid. Should something come up it is very easy to visit a pharmacy on your trip.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:03 AM

I have seen great simple day packs recently at Lands End mail order or website. I noticed some closeouts on sale for ~$12.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:13 AM
aggiemom

Hi cmferrara - I've become a big fan of this "packing kit" made by Eagle Creek that I got at The Container Store. I used to roll my clothes and was a big advocate on how much I could fit and how well the clothes survived without wrinkles.

However, this last May I went to Europe and stayed two and three days only in several cities so lots of unpacking and packing. This packing system really simplified my life.

It comes in different sizes, I chose the 12" x 18" with three accessory bags. The 12x18 thing is like an envelope made of nylon fabric and mesh with velcro to keep it closed. It shows you how to fold and stack your clothes so that all you do is unpack the entire packet (my ended being about only 6 inches high!) and slip this divider in between the clothes you wish to wear and pull them out.

My Mom was envious of my compact wardrobe. I actually used it in CA last week for a four day trip. (Due to different climates and events I had to pack more clothes than I even brought to Europe!) I was able to fit two pair capris, one pants, one jeans, four tank tops, 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 sweaters, 2 short sleeve shirts, underwear and even a light raincoat! Most of the stuff was wrinkle free enough (though I do tend to take only travel worthy fabrics).

Might be worth a visit to the store to check it out. I think it cost about $40.00.

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:15 AM

You can pack light if you bring enough clothes for one week. At midpoint in your trip, you can have your laundry done by the hotel or B&B.

We did that on our last trip, and it was very well worth the cost and the lighter luggage.

We also use the ziplock bags for toiletries to prevent leakage but they are great when you are moving around. They make for quick packing. But I do put all that stuff in my carryon just in case we need something quick, it is all in one place.

I bought squirt bottles and put my shampoo and conditioner in them...economical and you can use them on future trips.

Even though you have a good pair of walking sandals, always bring another pair of comfortable shoes/sandals to change off with...and be sure that your footwear is broken in before your trip.

Have fun shopping and planning!

Carol

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Aim for the smallest suitcase you can live with... ideally a 19-22" roller, or a max. of 24" (is my opinion) for comfortable train travel and ease of moving about. Plus one medium size carry-on/tote bag (large pocketbook, day pack, messenger bag) per person.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM

If you're going to do a lot of walking, I'm not a big fan of walking sandals. Unless they're the kind of sandal that has a protective ridge for the toes.

Most places have a lot of cobblestone and other uneven surfaces and uphill, downhill, sidehill walks--too easy to stub (and possibly break) a toe while oo-ing and ah-ing.

There's also the dirt factor, with many places having dirty and/or dusty streets and sidewalks (or no sidewalks). One's feet can soon become very dingy looking.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Ditto the above comments about sandals.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 12:22 PM

I just got back yesterday from 25 days in Italy. I alternated between two pairs of Joseph Seibel sandals and was very comfortable walking several miles every day. The Puma "walking shoes" I took got worn on only about 2 or 3 occasions. I found sandals were much cooler and they did fine on the cobblestones, etc...
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 12:55 PM

I agree with Carmen about the sandals. I've worn nothing but sandles all over Europe every summer for the past several years with no problems. I have not had a problem with cobblestones, climbing spiral stairs to bell towers, etc or even doing simple hikes. Everyone's feet are different. How far can you walk at home in sandals? I find sandals much cooler and more comfortable than shoes (no spikey heels, and the best ones are those made for walking, but they don't necessarily need to be clunky or to cover a lot of foot). Aeorsole makes some good ones.

For a suitcase, don't get one of the major brands like Travelsmith or Eagle creek. I have one of each of those sitting in the attic becuase I found a much lighter weight one at Target (Eddie Bauer brand)- and for half the price. It weighs about 6 pounds as oppossed to over 10 pounds for the others. Many airlines have weight limits as well as size limits and some are as low as 11 pounds (5 kg).

For clothes bring dark colors - not because it might be fashionalbe, but because it's practical. Doesn't show the dirt.

Not sure what you mean about a day pack that's not a back pack. Do you mean a tote bag? I recently bought a new tote bag for my upcoming trip (in 3 days!). But as I was packing it I realized, when full, it just would not be as comfortable as a back pack so I moved everything to the back pack I bought last summer in Florence after the tote bag I bought for that trip drove me crazy. I threw it away in Florence and used the back pack for the rest of the trip. You'd think I would have learned. Well I guess I did since I'm taking it with me on this trip (after wasting money on the new tote bag).
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 01:21 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Count me as another one who uses shampoo to wash out laundry in the sink - saves taking an extra bottle and seems to work just fine. I take my toiletries in quart-size ziploc baggies, with items grouped together that I use together:
- shampoo, conditioner, hair gel (4-ounce squeeze bottles will easily last two weeks)
- toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, deoderant
- makeup (compact, blush, lipstick, mascara - sorry, call me vain but I want a LITTLE makeup along!)
- medicines
I used to use a toiletry kit that you could hang up, but it added what seemed to me to be an unreasonable amount of weight. I'm just as happy with the ziplocs.
For a daypack, I'd recommend one of the very small backpacks - smaller than the typical book backpacks. JanSport makes a nice one that's very small. Why did you say NOT a backpack? Because you thought it would be too big? Or because you really don't want to carry it on your back?
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Just bring fabrics that dry quickly - it is so hot in Italy things will dry FAST. So, you really only need to bring like 3 tops, a skirt or two, and capris. Bring one pair of sturdy but lightweight fashionable "sneakers" (not running shoes) and very comfortable sandals. Everyone was wearing sandals - it's so hot you'll want to wear only sandals but beware blisters!!! If you feel compelled to bring a sweater bring a loosely woven, fashionable one. I "carry on" all toiletries if I check my luggage. I figure I can replace clothes easier than contact lens stuff, make up etc.

Having just come back from Rome (where it was wicked HOT) I veto the dark clothes idea. I know that's the conventional wisdom - but simply impractical and not what you see there anyway. In Rome, women wore all kinds of things. If they were young they were dressed pretty skimpy on top and lots of skirts. And, they were NOT wearing dark colors - no one was. Even a black shirt once it's that sweaty (one day's worth OR LESS believe me!) needs to be washed!

For hauling around during the day - just bring a reasonable size, but nice looking purse/tote bag. I personally hate back packs (too hot, ugly and hard to get in an out of). If you want, bring a very small purse for evening. Since I never carry a wallet in my purse or tote when traveling, there isn't a whole lot left to go in there. You need room for a bottle of water and a tour book and/or map. We carry money and credit cards in money belts.

My husband hauled around Rick Steves' Veloce shoulder bag (which converts to a back pack) but it was really too big and heavy.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Count me in for comfortable sandals and capri pants being the best for travel in hot weather.

Either have clothes that will easily wash in the hotel sink and drip dry, or sturdier ones that can stand a trip to a laundry service mid-trip.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:55 PM
sockboy

The best thing I ever bought for travel was a very lightweight black nylon backpack. It is made of super thin nylon (like a wind breaker jacket), and folds down to nothing. It easily fits, empty, into your bag, and works perfectly as a day bag. It is light as anything to carry, nicely holds a camera and book, but can also hold jackets or sweaters if need be.

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Re: Woolite packets. I find them impractical because I have to save up clothes enough to justify using a packet. Whereas, with a tube of Biowash or shampoo, you squeeze out just as much or as little as you need. And whenever I left home without the rubber sink stopper, I got a sink that wouldn't hold water. I have a small bag with soap, sink stopper, clothesline, and small packets of spot remover, everything together for when I wash.

I carry a save-your-back bag from one of the travel gear sites. It converts into a backpack and has a compartment for either a water bottle or an umbrella--depending on the weather. And lots of other compartments.

And I wear walking sandals.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:29 PM
MaureenB

Last time we traveled to Europe for 2 weeks, I brought along a selection of the high end travel-size shampoos, conditioners, and body washes. I collect them when we're staying at the nicer hotels in the U.S. where they provide Aveda, etc. Then, we could throw away the empties as we traveled, and actually have fewer bottles to bring home. A very teeny space saver, but every little bit helps.

Never thought of doing laundry with shampoo, but I may try it sometime. This trip I had brought two single-load envelopes of Woolite, and used them in the washing machine we had in Amsterdam, our last city.

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:47 PM

I like and concur to the travel size (or "hotel size&quot shampoos and soaps and disposed of them as we went - we, too, collect these and it was great to actually get rid of stuff as we traveled around instead of collecting it!

We just returned from 18 days in Europe and some of the best things I took for my "day pack" were wet wipes (no-brainer), little container of hand sanitizer (a little goes a long way, so a small 1.5 oz bottle was plenty), super small containers of SPF 36 for touch-ups throughout the day (I was getting burnt on my chest and neck!), gum/Altoids, and all the regular stuff like band-aids, lip balm, pens, paper, etc.

We took a super small dishsoap container that had been emptied prior and filled it with laundry detergent.

My husband and I both took good sandals and tennis shoes. I think it depends on what you are used to - I like to wear socks and I wear tennis shoes a lot, so I wore my tennis shoes WAY more than my sandals. I think my husband was 50/50 throughout - sandals more often in the warmer/beachy areas.

We adhere to the ziploc bag toiletry bag theory. I always take a few extra large ones in case we have wet swimsuits or whatnot. When we were kids, my father, always the clown, used to joke that he had a whole supply of black luggage - came on a roll (also known as black plastic trash bags)!

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Oh! I forgot to share my day pack suggestion!

I purchased a big leather Ralph Lauren tote at TJ Maxx for this trip. It's big enough to hold a regular sized spiral notebook, but small enough to be manageable. The only thing I didn't like was that it only had a little leather "string" closure - no zipper or snaps, but this ended up being a blessing in disguise (read on).

What I really like about it was it's construction (sturdy leather with great, secure straps), it's size (big enough for camera and all other goodies - including a water bottle and bread, at times!), and most importantly, the fact that it was easily slung onto my shoulder and came to a nice, comfortable rest under my arm. I could easily tighten my arm around it when I felt leary of potential pickpockets, but also easily opened (without taking off my shoulder) to get a water bottle out or camera.

I hated the idea of purchasing something online that I was going to be dependent upon so much each day and I "tried on" several totes before settling on this one. It was comfortable, didn't look sloppy (like many across the body bags do) and was fashionable and functional!

AND, I have a great purse/tote to continue to carry now that we're home!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -