COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Packing for 10 days in Italy

Old Dec 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Packing for 10 days in Italy

I apologize in advance if you are tired of these questions, but does this sound right? We are going to Rome, Florence and Venice for the holiday (10 days) and I'm planning on packing this much:

2 pair jeans
2 pair black pants , 1 dressy
5 tops
1 black cardigan
2 dressy tops
1 black velvet blazer
2 pair black walking shoes
1 pair dress shoes
black quilted jacket for warmth
cashmere scarf for plane and warmth
and of course the underthings
Gloves, I want to get them in Italy.

I don't want to overdo it, but don't want to under do it either. How do you ever get 10 days worth of clothing on a carry on bag? I'd LOVE to do that.

Thanks,
Suse

Old Dec 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM

looks pretty good. I'd personally cut back on one pair of pants (probably jeans) - but that is nitpicking since that easily could all fit in a 21 inch rollaboard. I assume this list includes whatever clothing you'll be wearing on the flight. Maybe that would account for the extra pair of jeans.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM

I was going to comment about the pairs of shoes you are bringing along but like janisj, I am assuming that your list includes the things you will be wearing on the flight. Besides, if your dress shoes are heels, those easily fit in between the other stuff (granted you wrap them with plastic or something, of course!).

Don't forget to bring a foldable, lightweight bag for the goodies you want to take home! Along with gloves, you can find a nice scarf for cheap in Italy, too! (for the plane ride home)

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM

suse-
Thanks for the list!
We are doing the same itinerary in January.
Do your 5 tops include sweaters?
I would take one turtleneck sweater either in addition to or as one of the 5 tops.
Do you wear corduroy? They keep me warmer than jeans. Maybe one and one?
Also' I would throw in a hat to keep your head and ears warm.
And if you underpack you'll have an excuse to pick something up over there...
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, the items do include what I'm wearing on the plane. You really think I can get all that on a 21"? I'm going to have to practice! I forgot to mention the toiletries and that always adds up for me! Glasses, contacts, make up. lotions, etc.

I think I'm going to give it a try, though. So, I am taking enough, right?

Thanks a bunch,
Suse
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM

hi suse,

i like the colour c-ordination! [only kidding]

I would ditch the black blazer - too hot if it's warm, too bulky to wear under your...mac, where's the mac? I was going to write "under your mac if it rains"

assuming we are talking jan/feb, your list is fine apart from a waterproof of some description. lined for winter/spring, thinner if not.

there are some lovely glove shops in venice, selling pairs in every shade of leather. I can't remember exactly where they are, but I'm pretty sure that they also sell them in Coin, the department store on Campo san bartolomeo, just on the san marco side of the rialto.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Not only are you taking enough - I'd be willing to bet you won't even wear all of it in your 10 days.

If your tops/cardigan/jackets are mix/matchable, you have more than 30 outfits there.

As for the liquid/gel toiletries - remember that if you are doing carry-on only, they must each be less than 3 oz and all fit into a 1-qt ziplok baggie. But you are only going for 10 days so you don't need much volume. Plus most hotels provide at minimum shampoo/conditioner.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 01:59 PM

That looks like it'll easily fit into carry on. I'd take more tops (one per day) if there's no washing machine available. I prefer not to rewear or wash tops by hand on vacation.

If you're prone to cold hands take a pair of gloves (how much space do they take up!?) and then you won't feel you need to buy the first pair you see.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM

didn't see annhig's post. I don't mind the black blazer too much, though velvet might not be the most practical. But if you don't take a blazer-type jacket, you could end up wearing the cardigan almost every day.

Is the black quilted jacket multifunctional? Can you dress it up or down?? If so, maybe leave the velvet jacket home and throw in another cashmere scarf or pashmina.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Looks like a good basic list, and you should have no problem fitting everything into a rolling carry-on.

Some additional remarks:

1. Instead of a hat I bring earmuffs, as they keep my ears warm without messing up my hair. I find that a hat makes me sweat, so that's also uncomfortable. Try to find the type that wrap around the back of your head, called "180s": when you want to take them off you can wear them around your wrist like a bracelet (as they shrink).

2. Definitely prepare for wet weather. It might not rain, but if it does you could be miserable. Venice especially gets very windy, so even if you've got an umbrella you might want to consider using a waterproof dress coat with a heavy lining inside (that you can remove if it turns out to be weirdly warm), and if possible a hood.

3. Look at your wardrobe and ask yourself: does (almost) everything go with (almost) everything else? Consider the possibility that one of your bottoms is out of commission for some reason (bad stain or rip) and you have to rely solely on the remainder---will your tops still work?

4. How much use will you be getting out of the black velvet blazer? If it's a wardrobe staple I'd take it, but if it's something you'll only wear once I'd likely leave it behind.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM

hi again, suse,

just thought I'd mention the wonderful market in florence, near san lorenzo - I got some great silk scarves there which were lovely colours and only €5 or so each.

don't forget to leave room in your luggage for your purchses!

regards, ann
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 02:38 PM
kja

Hi, suse -

I must admit that you are planning on taking more for 10 days than I take for trips of 3 weeks or more! You might consider taking no more than 1 pair of jeans - or even taking only 2 pairs of pants all together (including one pair that can be dressed up a bit). You might also consider taking far fewer tops.

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies!
I didn't want to have to do laundry on the trip, that's why the number of tops and bottoms. I'm also hoping for a decent forecast (so far, so good) because I don't own a waterproof coat except for the one I walk the dog in and that won't work!! I'm leaving this Thursday and don't live near anywhere I can get a trench or the like. Just winter stuff here!

I think I will leave the blazer at home. I was going to wear it on my birthday and New Year's, but can go without, I think.

How did I forget about the liquids on carry-on rule? I guess I'll check my bag.

I appreciate the input. Thanks,!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:12 AM

For this time of year, I'd pack fewer tops and more scarves. With the jacket on, a change of scarves is the only thing that will keep you from looking the same every single day.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:50 AM

You shouldn't have to check your bag just because of the liquids rule. I've always been able to fit everything I need into a 1 qt bag.
Are you traveling with another person? If so, you don't need necessarily need double the toiletries, but you have double the allowance. Split and share.
You can get sample sizes of lots of stuff at places like Target, and I put other stuff (like face cream) in re-purposed sample size cosmetic containers (little 1/2 oz pots).
As for packing the clothes, buy the gallon and 2 gallon size zip lock bags and put stuff in there and squeeze the air out.
I'd recommend another sweater, preferably cashmere as it is very light and warm.
I have a packing page on my travelogue website which might help. I brought more than you did for my October trip to France and did it carry-on.
http://www.wired2theworld.com/BasicPacklist.html
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM

You are only going for 10 days - you should have no problem meeting the carry-on liquids rules. No problem at all.

If you have any special "must have" products that only come in large sizes - head down yo your nearest Walmart, Target, Walgreens or even many super markets and pick up various small plastic bottles and jars. They are usually displayed in the "travel" or "sample sizes" section of the store.

But most everything else is sold in very small sizes so you should manage fine. Plus almost all hotels provide shampoos/conditioners.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 07:29 AM

If you need more liguids space put some lotions in with your makeup in your purse. I have never had security question this.

The comment about the scares is a good one, because if it is cold and you are wraped up in your coat and black pants all day it is the only thing that changes your outward look. I don't wear many scares at home but love their look when we travel. I too bring less when I travel for longer periods of time, but then we do not do dressy so that saves me lots of space.

Have fun!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 09:18 AM

If you do want to prepare for possible damp weather, suse, remember that you don't have to go to the store, the store can come to you: LL Bean and Lands End both have great multi-purpose outwear. Great quality and flexible return policies, and the descriptions are so detailed that you know exactly what to expect. You will be spending a lot of time outside, and don't want to be uncomfortable.

As for weather predictions, I traveled to Venice with my children in April about five years ago. The predictions were for sunny weather, with highs in the 60sF. It snowed one day, was sunny one day, and the other days featured cold, driving rain. Be prepared.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM

I think that it is more than enough for two people for 10 days.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 11:42 AM

My general rule is that I can wear pants 3-4 times before they need to be laundered, tops are 2-3 times each (barring any spills, etc.).

I'd skip the velvet blazer also OR skip the dressy tops. If you take the blazer, it will dress up the basic tops for an evening out and you won't need the dressy tops. Or take the dressy tops and leave the jacket home.

I'd drop the tops down to 5 total. If the dressy tops are SO dressy that you can't wear them with jeans throughout the day, then they're not necessary (see prior paragraph). If you keep the dressy tops, wear them throughout the day and drop 2 of the casual tops.

Toiletries are easy, just use the travel size bottles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO