Packing a great carry-on

Search

Packing a great carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Packing a great carry-on

What goes into a great carry-on. Book, slippers, teddybear?

Lucci
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Usually everything I am bringing for my trip.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:52 PM

Anything I can't live without for a few days (in case of luggage misadventure) - plus such indulgences of a few hundred of my favorite books, dozens of travel guides and maps, several score [heh, heh] of the orchestral works of Bach and Beethoven, GPS, WiFi internet terminal, cell phone, and free internet phone. That all weighs in at just under five ounces.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
my entire wardrobe and toiletries for the trip . . . . .
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:05 PM

If you are flying international, a blow up neck pillow and travel slippers for comfort on the long plane ride.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Things that are too big for the pockets of my outdoors coat
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Anything I think is going to break in a suitcase; several books (enough to last the journey, waiting time, and transfer at the other end); anything I think might push my checked case over the weight limit. I also used to have anything I thought would spill in my suitcase, but no longer. I don't bother with spare clothes.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:55 AM

I usually travel with just carry on so everything I'm bringing for the whole trip. But most of it goes in the 20" rolling bag, which goes in the overhead and I do not access it during the flight. Since most of the time you can also bring a "personal item" - in my case that's a large purse or small tote bag. That's what I keep right with me and contains what I need on the flight itself - book, journal, guidebook stuff, eyeshade/earphones for sleeping, ipod, bag of trailmix, extra sweater or pashmina to put over me while sleeping, and a pillow case (I stuff the airplane pillow as well as my jacket,etc into it to make a more comfortable pillow).
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Oh, and I do usually have a snack of some kind in case I don't like the airline meal. And I used to bring a drink, which I really regret not being able to do now, because the airline supplies such tiny ones and I can never get a refill.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:57 AM

See the first part of Robespierre's advice: "anything [you] can't live without in case of a luggage misadventure."

If you are checking the majority of your stuff, pack your carry-on as if you might not have "the majority of your stuff" for a day or two or three or maybe never.

I don't check a bag any more but when I did, I would be sure to have the following: change of clothes, toiletries, prescriptions, valuable stuff, chargers and cords for electronic things. And, of course, scores of books and CDs on my iPod.

In 10 years of foreign travel, I've only had checked bags misplaced twice. Once was with a student trip that started in Paris. Some of my students spent a cool, rainy day in Paris without jackets or long pants because they didn't take my advice. I guess travel is live and learn, too.

The whole carry-on issue may ignite a debate here, as it did several weeks ago. Some who check bags see carry-on only people as annoyances at best. But maybe this thread won't go down that road again.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:57 AM

1. Necessary travel docs - passport, flight booking e-mail, insurance details, E111 card.

2. Minimal clothes & toiletries for 24 hours.

3. Full trip's medications.

4. Enough reading material for 24 hours.

5. Small handbag with usual contents like purse, cards, specs, mobile phone, etc.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What caroline said, plus electronics - just a camera and adapter in my case - trip info for my first stop, jewelry if you take it, emergency rations. For a long flight, neck pillow, eye shades and wear-on-the-plane socks. I carry whatever outerwear I'm taking for the trip.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:24 AM

for me as little as possible. i like to travel light! if i need something i forgot to pack, i enjoy buying it in the foreign country i'm visiting.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:00 AM

I do carry on only so everything I need goes into my 22 rolling suitcase and a tote or backpack.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:08 AM

These posts that suggets "everything I can't do without" are wonderful and very helpful...except that any trip that connects through UK limits that carry on to one bag (including purse, computer, camera, briefcase, etc.). Often the weight is restricted.
Now if photography is your thing, that camera and lenses MUST go into carry on. The laptop MUST.
There is no more room for all those other necessary things.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Never put your passport, cash, credit cards or any valuables in any bag. Keep them on your person.

Carry the camera, coat, and a couple of books. Fill the 22" carry-on and leave everything else at home.

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I check a 24" suitcase, so my carry-on has:

1) things I want for the plane ride like a magazine, paperback, snack, pen and notepad, minimal cosmetics.

2) all my paperwork for the trip; passport, money, credit cards, hotel confirmations, etc.

3) precription glasses, sunglasses, and medications.

4) a partial change of clothes in case the suitcase is delayed.

I don't travel with electronics, camera, laptop, ipod, so that makes it more simple.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:10 AM

I also only fly carry-on, but when we have to check luggage, I follow Robespierre's advice. A couple of other suggestions:

1. Phone number and address for your first hotel - if your luggage gets lost, you will need to give some sort of contact info at the place you are staying.

2. Clothes and toiletries I need for at least two days (my dad has had his checked luggage lost for two days)

3. Laptop and all other electronic equipment

4. Anything that is breakable (usually that's not much, but if I am bringing back gifts that are fragile, I put them into my carry-on)
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:03 AM

<<< Fill the 22" carry-on >>>

After checking that 22" means 22" including anything that sticks out like handles, wheels, straps...
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Hey, you carryon bag only folks.

How much does your carryon bag weigh once fully packed, or have you never weighed it?

What is the max # of outfits you take - undies, socks, slacks, shirt/blouse? Any extra shoes?

What about heavy cold weather clothes - sweaters, sweatshirts, warm socks, gloves, hat, scarf. Can you still carry on only when you need that stuff?

Can you get by with just the carryon bag or do you require a "personal item". Just curious since some airlines & UK only allow 1 item.

Are there not any brand specific liquids/gels you must have? I don't know if my hair will accept just any shampoo, or my skin accept just any soap? Same with skin lotion.

Also, isn't buying those items in Europe very costly & finding them sometimes time intensive? In many areas, I would think finding travel size impossible. Regular size items would mean the unused (& expensive) potion must be left in Europe. Apartments don't give those nice little size bath toiletries.

Do you check bags on the way home since no hurry at destination & no worry if bag is lost.

What do you do with your souvenirs? Don't buy; ship home (some items are too small/inexpensive or shops don't offer shipping); check your carryon on the way home & use soft bag for carryon souvenirs?

I'm curious. The lowest checked bag weight we have ever accomplished was 32 lbs. - 7 clothing outfits plus toiletries, but included some cold weather items. Can't imagine going lighter, especially considering the empty bag weight is included.

Wish I could become one of your club members, but can't see it ever happening!

Julie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -