Reload this Page >

Père-Lachaise gravesite question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:33 AM
traveller

I'm looking for the name of a specific gravesite in Père-Lahaise cemetery. It is the gravesite of a woman singer, much beloved by the French. No, it's not the young singer who died recently and is buried in the Montmartre cemetery. This singer was in her 70's and I believed she died in 2000 or 2001. She was a big name singer in France. Does anyone know her name or know where I could find out? Seems like someone here once gave a website containing information from cemeteries around the world. Perhaps that would help. Thank you much in advance!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:42 AM
i

Edith Piaf?

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Barbie

You might be able to find it with this site:<BR><BR>www.findagrave.com<BR><BR>Type in Pere Lachaise and some 300 names are listed.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Paris fan

Perhaps you are thinking of Edith Piaf, &quot;the little sparrow&quot;. You will see fresh flowers on her grave at any time of the year and the gravestone says Famille Gassion-Piaf (husband's name.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Kathleen

Perhaps you're thinking of Edith Piaf who is buried in Le Pere Lachaise cemetery, close to where Avenue Transversale 3 crosses with Avenue Pacthod. On my souvenir map from the cemetery, her gravesite is located at N5. <BR><BR>Don't know the website, but I'll bet there's another Fodorite who does. Hope this info helps.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:51 AM
xxx

Well... Edith Piaf died in 1963 and not in 2000 or 2001.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:52 AM
xxx

<BR><BR>Doubt it could be Edith Piaf since she died way back in 1963, at the very young age of 47. <BR><BR>Born Edith Giovanna Gassion in Paris (where she also died), she was often affectionately called &quot;Sparrow of Paris&quot; (&quot;Piaf&quot; means &quot;sparrow&quot; in French.)<BR><BR>Coincidentally, today is Piaf's birthday. <BR> <BR><BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:55 AM
xxx

Hm... she was born December 19!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 11:15 AM
traveller

No, I don't mean Edith Piaf, but thanks for your replies. Also, thanks for the website, www.findagrave.com It may be a little hard to go through all 200 names, but that may be what I have to do.<BR><BR>This was a famous French singer born around 1926 who died in 2000 or 2002. She is not know in the states, but was famous in Paris.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Barbie

Hm.... you might be thinking of Dalida.<BR>She was definitely a big star in France, although of Egyptian origin.<BR>But she died in the 80s and I think she is buried at the Montmartre cemetary.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 11:25 AM
I

Sure it was a woman? If not, what about Gilbert Becaud?

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Lyn

Okay, I have to ask - why the heck do you want to see the grave of a &quot;famous&quot; person whose name you don't even know?

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 11:34 AM
traveller

No, I don't mean Dalida. She's the one buried in Montmarte. <BR><BR>Gosh, I'm so sorry to try your patience (and I can tell I am.). I know it's a little crazy. It's just for something I'm writing in regards to a journey I took to Paris. Just thought someone might know who this woman was.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 11:36 AM
xxx

<BR><BR>December 19th? If that's true, my favorite music reference website made a mistake. Oh well, at least they were within four days. <BR><BR>Thank you for the correction.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:07 PM
MET

Do you mean Arletty?

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:24 PM
xxx

LYN has the best question. Why do you want to know about and visit this gravesite when you not only don't know the name of this person, but you apparently know almost nothing about her?<BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Christina

Charles Trenet fits this description almost exactly, except he was not a woman.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 05:27 PM
xxx

<BR><BR>About Charles Trenet, do we know that for sure? <BR><BR>Ever heard of the jazz musician Billy Tipton? Billy was actually a woman who successfully masqueraded as a man. <BR><BR>http://www.jerryjazzmusician.com/linernotes/wood.html

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Patrick1

MET is right, you probably mean Arletty:<BR>Born on 15 May 1898 in Courbevoie, died on 24 July 1992 in Paris.<BR>A lot of articles about her were published this year (10 years anniversary).She was an actress as well, famous for her role in &quot;Hotel du Nord&quot;.<BR>http://www.hollywood.com/celebs/detail/celeb/186237<BR><BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Christina

i LIKE Charles Trenet... La Mer, on voit danser dum de dum dum<BR><BR>I don't know if traveller must mean Arletty rather than Charles Trenet as Arletty doesn't match the date of birth or death and was known as an actress, not a singer. I didn't even know she sang -- Les Enfants du Paradis was her best known work, I think. Besides, does anyone even know that she is buried in Pere Lachaise.<BR><BR>On the other hand, Charles Trenet fits all of them except he was a couple years older than that (born 1913, died 2001), but not as many as she was. I did find out he was only cremated at Pere Lachaise, but his ashes were moved to Narbonne, where I guess he was born. So, he's a better match except for being a man ( I think) to this question as he died in 2001, was in his 802, was a well-known French singer but not known much in US, and was cremated at Pere Lachaise.<BR><BR>But, it really doesn't matter to try to mention someone in a letter whom you can't even remember, I guess. Was Arletty that beloved? I don't know about that, as I just read she was jailed for collaboration because she had an affair with a German officer.<BR><BR>I do remember one funny line from Les Enfants du Paradis -- they were in the theater and the audience in the balcony (the children of paradise) were making a bunch of noise and some bourgeois guy in the good seats yells up something like -- &lt;&lt;Shut up! We can't hear the mime!&gt;&gt;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -