Notices

Oyster vs Travelcard 2/1

Apr 19th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Oyster vs Travelcard 2/1

I know there are a zillion threads on this topic, but the more I read the more confused I get! We'll be in London for 3 full days as far as sightseeing is concerned and planned to get the Oyster PAYG. But I find that 2/1 offers are available for Greenwich, some Tate Britain exhibits and Shakespeare's Globe Exhibition, all of which I want to see, so does it make better sense for me to just get a 3 day Travelcard? Will be travelling down to London by Scotrail, does that ticket qualify for the Travelcard? It's a single, though. Thanks for your patience in answering my endless queries
Apr 19th, 2012, 08:58 AM

Unfortunately they no longer offer 3 day travel cards. You could get 3 - 1 day travel cards though.

Scotrail I believe does qualify so that may work for you but only on the day of travel I believe.

I always like the freedom of unltd travel as London is very spread out so I would probably just get 3 - 1 day travel cards and not worry if it costs just slightly more. The difference isnt likely to be that much, and for the hassle of trying to estimate how much you are likely to use on PAYG its just worth it to get the 1 day travel cards. I think you can buy them all at once from the manned ticket booths at National Rail stations so I would just do this when you arrive by train into I assume Kings Cross.
Apr 19th, 2012, 09:01 AM

"so does it make better sense for me to just get a 3 day Travelcard?"

There is no 3-day travel card.

Your train tocket down from Scotland will qualify for 2for1 on that day --so if you arrive in the morning you could easily knock off the Globe and Tate Modern that day -and maybe even the Tate Britain.

However --which exhibitions do you want to see? Big/popular ones require pre-booking and timed entry so won't work w/ the 2for1's.
Apr 19th, 2012, 09:02 AM

was posting the same time as jamikins . . .
Apr 19th, 2012, 12:49 PM

No-brainer is how I'd describe the 2-4-1 offers assuming there's at least 2 of you and there's something you want to see.

Even if you intend to walk everywhere you aren't going to save much money by not using a Travelcard bought at a National Rail ticket office. Normally you should be able to buy all three days worth of Travelcards at once but at worst you pick up the next days card in the late afternoon of the previous day.
Apr 21st, 2012, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Yes, will pick up 1 day travel cards, also do the Globe and Tate Britain the first day. Will need to work out something for Greenwich, but maybe we could just take the train there, that should work. Anyway, thanks again!

Search this Thread