oyster card vs. travel card.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to understand these new innovative terms. After reading much, I think the travel card would be best for us but I'd appreciate your opinions if I'm correct or not. We are arriving in London late in the afternoon on a Sunday and leaving early on a Thursday. That gives us three full days, Monday-Wednesday for use of the travel card. The points of interest ( museums) are appealing to us and we understand that to mean admission is included with the travel card if we buy it with transportation. We are going to Paris on Thursday so that seemed logical to get the travel card with transportation.

Your opinions are welcome.

Thank you,
Larry
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - I assume you are talking about a <u>paper</u> travel card vs an Oyster card. You must keep that distinction clear. Because "travel card" is just one type of transport fare in London and it can also be loaded on an Oyster.

And by "admission is included with the travel card" are you talking about the 2 for 1 offers that go w/ the paper travel cards? You use paper travel cards along w/ vouchers you print out before leaving home to get into some tourist sites in/around London.

For info about the 2 for 1 offers and to pre-print the vouchers, check this website http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

Look to see if you are going to any of the sites listed on that website.

However - if you are mainly going to museums -- Most of the major museums and galleries in London are free to everyone. No need for a voucher or paper travel card.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:40 AM

I think the OP is talking about the London Pass.

My views on the London Pass is that it's a massive waste of money as it's very hard to get "value" from it without literally running around and making lots of short visits.

In your case you could spend all three days on major free attractions and not feel you've missed anything.

As for the travel option - even the fan of the London Pass thinks it's a rip off as it covers all of London whereas most tourists only visit the central area - the difference been £17 instead of £44
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
alanRow: I don't <i>think</i> the OP was talking about the London Pass because his other thread only mentioned Oysters and some posted about the 2 for 1's. So w/ this title I assumed he is trying to decide between a paper travel card and an Oyster. I agree totally the the London Pass is a waste.

kamaoleman: OK, have we confused you enough yet?

Basically - get Oysters if you are mostly going to free sites/museums. Get a paper travel card (at a train station) only if you are going to some of the sites on the days out web site. And if you are using the 2 for 1's, be sure to pre print your vouchers.

And whatever you do DON'T buy a London Pass . . . .
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:57 AM

My first expereicne with Oyster card was last may. I landed on a Friday and left next Wed. I loaded it with £40 and left with £9 left on it. I used it everyday, and the furthest afiled I went was Hampstead. Quite convenient. I was mostly doing walking tours and wandering.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 09:21 AM

I find for anything 4 days or more it's cheaper to load the oyster with a 7 day travelcard, which is about 25 GBP the last time I checked.I do keep about 10 GBP on as Paygo, if we want to travel beyond zone 2. But then I use the buses and tube A LOT!
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Okay..... I think I'm getting it. So, I should buy my Eurostar travel to Paris without the travel card and get an Oyster for running around London town. For some sites that I find interesting I should try to download the 2 for 1 coupon.??? Am I getting it?
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 02:01 PM

@ kamaoleman

I will also have 3 full days in London in May, therefore I very similar problem. Therefore, I hope you don't get annoyed for my trying to get a free ride on your post... 8D

What is the minimum amount I can put on an oyster card? I understand that there is a 3 pound cost for the card. On top of that, what are the minimum amounts I can top the card with?

Can I use it for all transportation in London: tube, bus and trams?

My starting point every day will be Fulham Broadway station, which means I will have to use the 1-2 fare.

Thx!
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

From your post, I see you know more than I do.