Oyster Card-Heathrow

Jan 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Oyster Card-Heathrow

I think I am going to get a 7 day zone 1-2 pass, can I get an Oyster card at Heathrow, purchase the zone 1-2 7 day travelcard and then add on enough extra to get me from Heathrow to zone 2?

Is the place where you buy it where you would normally catch the tube?

Finally, do you need a picture to get a 7 day travelcard on an Oyster? I've never had to have a picture before to get a 7 day card but wasn't sure if the Oyster would change that.

Thanks!
Jan 8th, 2006, 10:43 PM

Your zone 1-2 seven-day travel card will be in the form of an Oyster card. Just ask for the extension from Heathrow (to zone 2); cost will be added on to travel card price. Yes, you buy it at the Heathrow tube station. No, you don't need a picture.
Jan 25th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

I can't believe how easy it was to get an Oyster card, walked right up to the ticket window at Heathrow, bought a 7 day zone 1-2 travelcard and got the Oyster, no deposit is currently required nor a picture for the 7 day zone 1-2. I asked for the additional fare to be added on, it was L1.80 extra to get from zone 6 to zone 2.
Jan 25th, 2006, 03:21 PM

I love Oyster Card. Having this card simplified my life when visiting London. The policy may have changed, but I recall paying GBP1 or 2 for deposit.

Although underground is the fastest way to reach your destination, try riding those double decker buses its fun and inexpensive way to see London. You can, of course, use Oyster card for bus, too.
Jan 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

I think they've suspended the deposit for Oyster cards if you buy certain items like the 7 day travelcard. No idea how long that will be for....

We did take a bunch of buses this time, normally I'm a tube rider but I really enjoyed taking the buses and they are a lot more user friendly than I thought, the maps at each of the bus stops give you the tube stations they pass plus major sites. An added bonus is that you can use the 7 day travelcard on buses outside of zone 1-2