Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed with options in Greece... help appreciated!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've just started planning a trip to Greece for my husband and me. We would like to go in September or October as we are unable to go this summer. We live in Edinburgh so should be able to find a decent deal on the flights.

My husband has been to Greece before (a cruise with his family at 18) while I've never been - it's been my dream to go there ever since seeing his pictures and it looks like we'll finally be able to go!

We have around 14 nights to spend. We thinking to fly into Athens and then immediately depart for either the countryside or an island and spend 3 nights in Athens at the end of our trip. The only must-see is Santorini - my husband really wants to take me there. We aren't into nightlife at all - we tend to run around all day and relax over a bottle of wine at night.

We love ruins, light hiking, beautiful scenery. I have a fantasy about spending a few days lying on a beach but is September too late in the season for that? Budget is definitely an issue - we'll be looking for hostels or cheaper hotels, another reason we thought to go in fall.

We prefer to use public transport but if there's something fabulous we can definitely rent a car. I've been reading trip reports and researching online and my list just keeps getting longer! Would love your first instinct about where to focus my research!

Thanks a lot,
PittPurple
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:05 AM

Here's a highly personal view.

1. Yes you can lie on a beach in Septrember. If you're British, chances are you'll be in serious danger of sunburn even then, so do it with some care

2. THere's an awful lot of Greece, it's only a few hours away and thgere are gazillions of planes undercutting each other. So you've got the rest of your life to see the 95% you're going to miss. Trying to cram too much in means more time in hot airports, on rattling buses or trying to decipher roadsigns than you need. You'll be wasting your time.

3. Santorini's lovely but a little goes a long way and it's a bit out on its own. Athens is a hellhole, but you've got to see lots of it sometime, so give its classical stuff a few days. I've only ever stayed in squalid, hot, uncomfortable cheapos or boring, expensive, Hilton-style places and can't help on hotels - but they're one of the reasons I wouldn't spend more than a few days in Athens.

4. Part of The Greek Experience is a good old-fashioned smelly ferry. What I'd do would be to get yourselves to Santorini, have your couple of days of bliss, get the old ferry to Crete, spend a week there (during which, do a bit of driving) then fly to Athens for your culture. Actually, get Athens out of the way first, then Crete, then Santorini.

5. When you return to Greece in a year or so, give a whole fortnight, separately, to driving round the Peloponese and to driving round the bit of Greece the Greeks have the effrontery to insist is Macedonia. Tin-pot posturing, of course - but a terrific place to discover and eat and drink in.
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:58 AM

Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect the poster is not British but maybe either moved over to Edinburgh or living there for a while?

If you are in the UK permanantly, follow Flanner's advice and don't try to see all at once. Flights or even package holidays (or charter flights) can be used to explore different areas at a more leisurely pace. If your time over here is limited, I'd follow something like Flanner's suggestion 4, to get an taste of Greece. My own personal preference would be option 5. Santorini is lovely but if you enjoy exploring, it doesn't take that long and it isn't the best places for beaches, unless you like black volcanic sand. The Peloponnese,however,has ruins a-plenty, mountains, villages and good beaches too. September to early October is likely to be fine for both exploring and a bit of lazing, which is more or less what we like to do.

Old May 12th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!
Maria - you're right actually, we aren't British we've just been lucky enough to spend the last couple years living in Edinburgh. This could be the last year here in which case this is our last big adventure before heading back to the states.

I read a fabulous trip report from the Peloponnese... do you think maybe 3 days in Athens, 3 days in Santorini and a week plus in the Peloponnese would work? I know Athens isn't relaxing at all (I like the idea of going there first) but I can't go to Greece without seeing any of Athens!
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Personally I think that 1 to 2 days (2 to 3 nights) in Athens is sufficient to see the "must sees" and maybe 3 days in Santorini. We did a 10 day fly/drive tour of the Peloponnese in May 2006 (trip report on here somewhere), including a last night stay in Athens to catch an early flight. The first link below is to some pictures from that trip, to give you an idea but we've also explored other parts of the Pelopnnese (and many islands) from package holiday bases). Greece is very addictive!

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/296138/index.html

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/166201/index.html
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:04 AM

My husband and I just stayed 2 nights in Santorini (a 3rd night would have been nice.)
We stayed at Defini Villas.......fairly inexpensive (off season) and great location.
We stayed 3 nights in Athens (which was 1 too many for me).
We spent a day doing a one day cruise of 3 near by islands and enjoyed that very much!
We stayed at Hotel Phaedra in the Plaka........again reasonable and very convenient to everything.
We spent 4 nights in Chania, Crete and loved it. We stayed at a very inexpensive place, Pension Nora and it was great for us!
Not sure what your budget is.
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM

flanneruk's comments re Athens seem overly harsh to me ... although he _does_ qualify the comments as a "highly personal view".

OP should seek out other opinions on Athens before making final itinerary ...

YMMV
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM

I have been to Greece twice (summer of 2002 and 2006), and am highly confident that you will enjoy every moment.
Both times, we spent three nights in Athens, and contrary to some other posts, I enjoyed every moment.
On our first trip, we stayed in Athens and then went to the islands of Paros and Santorini (I think 11 days total). On the second trip, we started in Rhodes for 3 nights (connecting flight through Athens), then flew back to Athens for 3 nights, and then 5 nights in the southern Peleponese (visiting both villages of my two grandfathers). We then spent our final night at the Hilton Athens airport hotel (which I highly recommend for early morning departing flights, because it is right at the airport).
For our 2006 trip, we stayed at the Residence Georges in Athens, which is a very nice hotel near the National Museum. As I recall, it is a 4 star hotel, and we got a very good internet rate. The area around the hotel is a little run down, but the hotel itself was first rate (with a beautiful pool on the roof),
I would spend at least 1/2 day at the National Museum (incredible!). It has a very extensive collection of artifacts from the cyclades islands (including Santorini), so would be good to see before going to the islands.
Another must see of course will be the Acropolis and all of the historic sites in the area. Be sure to pack comfortable shoes for walking and exploring (and maybe an umbrella for protection from the sun). In the evening, stop by for a drink at the top floor bar at the Grande Bretania for a great view of the Acropolis).
Among other not to miss items in Athens: the Dora Stratou Folk Dance troop, which performs in an outdoor setting at the base of the Acropolis.
All tourists will explore the Plaka area, but I would recommend also the Kolonaki shopping area (which is not as overrun with tourists). We had a great lunch in Kolonaki at Filpou (let the waiter bring whatever is special for the day; we were delighted with the delicious selections and reasonable prices).
Another restaurant near our hotel was Athinaikon, which we enjoyed very much and caters primarily to local patrons. Great people watching.
For the islands, we loved Santorini (I think 3 days would be great). We took the high speed ferry from Athens (Pireaus) to the island of Paros which is a main port for the Cyclades islands. From there, we took a ferry to Santorini, about 2 hours away. Paros provided a good counter-point to Santorini (more low key, less tourists). I would recommend both. From Santorini, we took a flight back to Athens instead of the ferry.
I would also recommend Rhodes, which we loved. Incredible history, particularly the old walled city. We visited Rhodes on our 2006 trip. We stayed at the Hilton (great internet rate, and one of the best breakfast buffets that we have experienced in Europe).
On all of the islands, we rented a car. I think this is a must to get around the islands conveniently. But you do not need a car in Athens (buses and metro are great; taxis plentiful if needed).
Finally, we also had a wonderful trip around the southern Peleponese. We really enjoyed the historic ruins of Mycenea (and the famous Lions Gate). Many of the artifacts for this site are also on exhibit at the National Museum. We stayed at a hotel within a couple of miles of the site (I am sorry, I don't recall the name, but think it would be in Fodors guidebook for Greece; I think it was the only hotel in the area, but not certain about that). The hotel was very basic, but clean and reasonably priced.
Sorry for being so long-winded, but thought I would share some of my experiences in Greece.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM

First of all it's nice that you'll be able to follow your dream!

Our first trip to Greece was just 2 months ago for 6 days/5 nights. We spent the whole of it in Athens with just one day trip driving down to Possiedon's Temple.

It was great fun and VERY relaxing. That part of course is what you make of it and the company you keep - LOL!

My husband and I are not late nighters at all and were in many cases very early for dinner. In fact after wonderful heavy meals (we order way more than we should) we would walk the city for an hour or two and then return to our hotel for a cup of coffee and pie on the hotel terrace with wonderful views of the city (including photo perfect view of the Acropolis).

We were actually there during the start of their Lenten Season so had the chance to spend Sunday at a middle class neighborhood Carnival parade and celebration.

We look forward to returning to Greece and do a bit of island hopping the next time.

3 days will be plenty to see all in Athens. We actually thought while planning that the city was more like Rome - 5 days is not enough time there! Anyway, our goal was actually to relax....so.

I can suggest the Hotel Attalos for budget accomodations. It is right in the heart of things - very colorful neighborhood with lots of farmers markets all around - both up the street 3 blocks and down. Lot's of places to eat - all were wonderful meals...

The hotel is clean, safe and the staff was very helpful. The rooms are not luxury and the beds were hard, but honestly for the price and location we were very happy.

Have a great time.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:57 AM

i have my lovely friend to thank for showing me pics of her trip to meteora
my my
those monks really knew something about engineering
you MUST do an overnight trip through delphi and stay at kalambaka and spend a day up at the six monasteries
just google it and you will see what i mean
gobsmacking astounding! ( pack a skirt unless you dont mind hiring the one-size-fits- everyone- and -their- aunty skirts at the monastery)
doooo it!!!!
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM

has anyone been to athens in mid-december? worth visiting then or is everything closed? pls advise
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM

2wristy,

As about 30% of Greece's population lives in the Athens metropolitan area, nothing there ever "closes"

But, it can get quite chilly (30's F), grey, and rainy.

Depends what you're looking for ...
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Pittpurple, September is a great time to go! The weather's still wonderfully balmy, not hot, the water is sublime, the crowds have gone, yet the islands haven't 'closed up shop' yet.

You can see/do a lot without feeling rushed if u plan so that you don't waste days in transport. You are right to think of flying immediately to your first island and then hopping back... Athens at the last means so much more after you have immersed yourself in the culture awhile.

Does that name mean Pittsburgh? I'm from Philly. E-mail me, and perhaps i can send you some useful links!
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:57 PM
emilou

I spent a few months in Greece a few years ago and loved it. Santorini is a must see and then I would recommend Crete if you want ruins, light hiking and a few days lying on a beach. The weather is lovely in September and you will find cheap accommodation easily. Corfu is also beautiful at that time of the year and has both Italian abnd Greek architecture.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:46 AM

I may be too late to make the suggestion of a budget hotel in Thira but here is one. Pension Summertime 22860,24313. It is within 5 min walk (100 m)to main square. It is clean with AC, fridge, balcony, TV. Water was heated by solar when I was there. The owner can gouge though. Like quote a good price and then you find out AC is extra. You would get a better price by negotiating when you are there. But it is good value.http://www.summertime-santorini.com/index.html Across the street and down the road a little is New Haroula Hotel (02860 24226) which is affordable with pool. Nice gardens. It is a very nice hotel and I have stayed there twice. http://www.haroulahotel.gr/index.htmThere are many small hotels on both sides of this street such as Blue Sky which is about the same cost as New Haroula but not as clean and more run down.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM

I am planning to visit Greece in mid April (11-18). We want to do 1 night in Athens and then go to Santorini and myabe one other island. No particular order necessary.
What does one do on the Islands when it's chilly (I'm assuming we won't get sunny beach weather)?
Do the ferrys run at that time of year?
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM

We spent three nights at Sunny Villas, www.villas-santorini.com, on Santorini, located in the quieter village of Imerovigli which sits very high on the rim of the caldera. Fabulous caldera view. We had the standard studio which was quite comfortable and reasonably priced, although not luxurious. We flew in and out of Santorini on Aegean Airlines. We chose to fly because we feared rough seas might interrupt ferry service.

Contrary to some posters, we really liked Athens. We stayed 3 nights at the Cypria hotel, www.athenscypria.com, a 3* hotel with a really great breakfast buffet. The location was very good for us because it was only about 3 blocks from Syntagma Square where we caught the bus to the airport, so we could easily roll our luggage and not have to bother with a taxi. We felt that 2 whole days in Athens was enough to enjoy the major sights.

Greece is certainly the place to go if you love ruins, light hiking (lots and lots of steps, stairs, and hills), and beautiful scenery.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 11:57 PM

Maria, great pics!

Bettina, where did you take your one-day cruise from - Santorini or Athens? What islands did you see on the cruise. Sounds like a great idea!!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Hey, everybody, OK to answer later queries, but don't bother counseling Pittpurple because apparently she has not bothered to revisit the thread for TWO MONTHS. Just saying.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Rhodes would be a good choice although personally I prefer Crete (as long as you hit the right area). Both these have good budget options. Santorini is very atmospheric but overdone on this Forum - I preferred Crete. Skiathos is supposedly lovely and is pictured in the latest film release 'Mama Mia' and I would love to go to the Pelion area and potentially even more beautiful than all the islands I have so far visited, but it may be expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -