Reload this Page >

Overview of Major Swiss Cities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 08:53 PM
Alyson

I'm thinking about taking a one-week trip to Switzerland, and I have just begun my research. I really don't know much about the country, so I don't know much about the cities in Switzerland, and what they have to offer. I'd appreciate it if somebody could give me some information (museums, castles, cathedrals, scenery, shopping, etc.) on Geneva, Zurich, and some of the other major cities and towns. Thanks. <BR> <BR>-Alyson-

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 10:45 PM
Donna

We enjoyed northeastern Switzerland the best. Most towns are not heavily touristed and are unique and charming with lots to see and do. Lucerne, although touristy, is not to be missed. To economize, stay in the smaller towns and travel by train or car to the larger and more popular towns. There's no substitute for a good tour guide for selecting destinations which appeal to you personally, though... If cuisine is important, the east favors German, the south Italian, the west French (language spoken as well). Dining in Switzerland is more expensive (by far) than anywhere we've visited so far. No matter where you go, you're assured of spectacular scenery. You may want to consider staying 10 days or two weeks.

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 10:46 PM
Donna

P.S. Unless you plan to go skiing, highly recommend timing your visit during the nice weather when the flowers will be in bloom everywhere and you can enjoy the outdoor cafes.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 07:23 AM
Nicole

I love Switzerland, but it's big cities are not a highlight in my opinion. Switzerland's beauty lies in its Alpine towns and villages. I agree with the other poster that Lucerne is very nice, but I would make that your only large city. I've been to Geneva and I have family that have been to Zurich, and in my opinion they're not worth the time if you only have a week. <BR> <BR>Check out some guidebooks and read about smaller towns. I'm sure there are some castles in the countryside -- I think the castle of Chillon (?) is on or near Lake Geneva. My favorite town is Zermatt, famous for the incredible Matterhorn. It can get touristy, but it's a small town, very picturesque, and quiet due to the fact that there are no cars (you get there by train). There is still plenty of shopping, restuarants, etc., but obviously not on the scale of a city. You can see our photos of our last trip there at http://www.lunadesigns.com/travels/. <BR> <BR>I've also been to Grindelwald in the Jungfrau (sp?) region which is also small and we enjoyed it. I know other posters have recommended Alpine towns they've been to such as Murren. Do a search of the Fodor's board for Swiss town recommendations and I'm sure you'll find plenty.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 07:50 PM
Lloyd

Just returned from a 3 week driving trip of Switzerland. Of larger cities Lucerne is the best. We like the alpine areas the best, Zermatt and Berner Oberland area (we stayed 3 nights in Wangen). E-mail me if you have more questions.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 06:30 AM
dan woodlief

I have been to a few Swiss cities and know a bit about many others from other sources, and I would suggest Bern and Lucerne as two very nice cities to visit. I have been to these and Basel, among the larger cities in the country, and I have flown into Zurich. I would not spend time in Zurich or Geneva with only a week, unless you really want to shop and do other very city-type things. Still, Bern and especially Lucerne have lots of this to offer too, as well as very good museums and other sites (Luzern even has mountains around it). To see Switzerland, you need to spend a few days in the Alps. Especially if you are going outside of the really cold and snowy part of the year, I would suggest spending 3-5 days in the Berner Oberland area around Interlaken (stay in Murren, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, or some other place farther into the mountains than Interlaken), and then spend a couple of days in Luzern and a day in Bern. You could find enough to do in the Berner Oberland alone to last for weeks.