Reload this Page >

Overnite train to Sicily

Search

Overnite train to Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Angela

Overnite train to Sicily

I am trying to determine if it would be cheaper and less time consuming to take the overnite train to Sicily than driving. I've done it before with my two daughters several years ago, but I can't seem to find a good website that explains the sleeping arrangements well. This time I'm going with my husband and was wondering if they have private sleeping quarters for just two people? Last time we had a couchette for 4 persons, forcing us to have a stranger in our compartment overnight. I guess because we were in 2nd class(?) we did not have a sink, etc. in our compartment. I don't think my husband would be comfortable with that arrangement. Is it the type of train, 1st or 2nd class, couchette or ? that I should be looking for? I just want to get an approximate price for the tickets at this point. Also, I've read about the overnight ferry from Naples. Do they offer sleeping compartments on the ferry? Even after getting around the whole country of Italy(mostly by luck), I still do not understand their train system.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Vincenzo

Angela, ferry from Naples to Palermo is quite better than train.<BR>From the harbour of Naples, ship of Tirrenia has departure 20.30 and arrives at Palermo the following morning 6.30.<BR>If you choose first class you get a fine bedroom with services and shower.<BR>Even dinner is almost good.<BR>When you arrive at Palermo, maybe you need to rent car; it depends of tour you imagine and plan.<BR>Ciao.<BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:27 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Angela<BR>Railway information can be found on<BR>the following"<BR>www.fs-on-line.it/<BR>www.trenitalia.it/<BR>www. raileurope.com/<BR>www. bahn.hafas.de/english/<BR>You can get a two person compartment<BR>first class for the trip. The car<BR>is also taken across the Strait of<BR>Messina, making it unnecessary to change<BR>trains. Reservations for sleeping compartments are made in additional to<BR>the point to point ticket.<BR><BR>There are two ways of getting to Palermo<BR>from Naples, 1. the hydrofoil which takes about six hours to make the run.<BR>can be very noisy.. 2 The overnite MS<BR>leaving Naples in early evening and <BR>arriving the next morning about 7am<BR>in Palermo. Cabins must be reserved<BR>seperately in addition to the fare.<BR>Both will take autos with reservations<BR>and upcharge...<BR>Go into www.itwg.com/....ferries..<BR>Richardof LaGrange Park,Il..

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Angela

Vincenzo, thanks for your feedback. Is there a website for the ferry? Also, we wanted to start out in or near Messina, so we can rent a car and proceed to Cefalu and on to the western coast of Sicily and end up back in Palermo to fly home. Do the ferries go to Messina or Milazzo and would we be able to pick up a rental car there?

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Angela

Thanks Richard, just saw your reply, I will look at those websites for the ferry. The trenitalia website is somewhat confusing.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Steve James

Hello Angela,<BR><BR>The website for the Naples-Milazzo ferry isBR>www.siremar.it/linea_c1.html<BR>- though it doesn't show 2002 times yet.<BR><BR>It operates 3 nights a week, in high season only I believe. Naples-Milazzo is a much longer ride (about 15 hours) than Naples-Palermo, as it stops st several of the Aeolian Islands en route.<BR><BR>If you're heading to Messina, train would be quicker.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Vincenzo

Angela, Steve told you right news.<BR>If your destination is Messina, maybe train becomes again the best solution.<BR>But, rather than night, if departure is from Naples, by Intercity (departure time 13.42) you'll travel during daylight so that,you keep sea on your right side and enjoy your trip already on the train during the six hours.<BR>You look at Vesuvius, first and last part of Cilento, Maratea, and the whole Costa Tirrenica di Calabria and, before your arrival, you across the sea where it is named Stretto di Messina.<BR>You arrive at Messina at 19.30: fine time for housekeeping in a good hotel and for a wonderful dinner with fresh fish.<BR>On next day you rent car and you drive toward Palermo; sea is on your right side.<BR>Tindari, Capo d'Orlando and Cefal&ugrave;: you haven't to miss this treasures of Sicily.<BR>Anyhow, I'm here: no problem.<BR>Ciao. <BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Angela

Hi everyone, as you can see I'm still "planning" our trip! After posting this message the first time and mulling over all your great answers, we've changed our minds and itinerary several times and have now pretty much decided to take an overnight train from Florence to Messina. I've managed to understand the trenitalia site and have compared it to the raileurope site for prices. My confusion starts with why raileurope only lists one train for that itinerary while trenitalia lists many. Also, what is the difference between the express train and an inter-city night train? There is an itinerary listed on trenitalia from Florence to Rome on ES* and then from Rome to Messina on ICN which takes less total time then the E(xpress) train listed on on raileurope. Also, we'll be doing this the first week of September, so can we (should we) wait until we get there to make our reservations for the private sleeper? Thanks to everyone for so much help and patience with us 'unwordly' travelers.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:31 PM
jahoulih

Rail Europe is woefully incomplete as well as overpriced. The "Express" trains are somewhat older, shabbier, and cheaper than the ICN trains, if I recall correctly.<BR><BR>How much time will you have in Europe before your train trip?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:14 PM
GAC

Trenitalia is much more complete and current than RailEurope. From Florence to Messina by night, the combination you found of a Eurostar to Rome, connecting to the (only) ICN to Messina is probably the best option by night train. You depart Florence at 20:55, a respectable hour, arrive in Rome Termini at 22:30, 30 minutes to connect to the ICN leaving at 23:00, and arrive the next morning in Messina at 7:20. All-in-all, very reasonable, with an excellent connnection time in Rome. The "Express" trains are cheaper, slower and shabbier, and usually originate in Milan, Turin, Mestre or Bolzano, and are therefore usually overcrowded. Don't take these trains, even though you avoid having to change in Rome. You should have no problem securing seat reservations if you do so up to one week in advance. Private sleeper accommodations will be more difficult to reserve at the last minute. Sleepers (first class only) are different from couchettes (which are merely converted first or second class seats) and are in short supply. There may be only one or two sleeper cars for the whole train. If having a private sleeper is a requirement, I would book it at least 30 days beforehand. Otherwise, seats and couchettes can be reserved locally (as I indicated above, I would allow one week lead time).

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:23 PM
GAC

If you can't secure a (first class) sleeper compartment on the ICN out of Roma Termini at 23:00, you have two alternatives:<BR><BR>1) Express train "Trinacria" departing Firenze S. Marina Novella at 20:33, arriving Messina Centrale 8:05; and<BR><BR>2) Express train "Freccia della Laguna" departing Firenze CAMPO DI MARTE at 22:39, arriving Messina Centrale 11:05<BR><BR>Both of these trains have second class couchettes and first class sleepers. So, you might be able to secure one of the first class sleepers on these very long distance trains. Once again, they originate in northern Italy, and the first class sleepers may already have been sold out by the time you attempt to reserve them.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:30 PM
GAC

The ICN out of Roma Termini and the two Express trains out of Firenze noted in my previous posting also have SECOND class SLEEPERS. You might consider these if the FIRST class sleepers are sold out.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Dayle

GAC & Vincenzo - also considering the overnight ferry on a future trip to Sicly/Aeolian Islands. Is it ever cancelled due to bad weather? If they carry cars, I assume they are huge like the ones used around the Seattle, WA area?<BR><BR>GAC - You, like Vincenzo, have such detailed information! Do you also live in Italia?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:16 PM
GAC

The Siremar hydrofoils from Naples to the Aeolian Islands (which operate once or twice daily from May through September) are apt to being cancelled due to bad weather. However, the Siremar OVERNIGHT FERRY (which operates year-round, twice weekly in the dead of winter and six times weekly in the high summer) is rarely cancelled. The FERRY is a large boat (in excess of 5,000 tonnes) which carries both passengers and vehicles. There are reclining seats, but no cabins. It is also a long journey (8 hrs. to Stromboli, the northernmost of the Aeolian Islands, and several hours more to island-hop and eventually reach Milazzo on the Sicilian mainland).<BR>The Sicily Jet "mezzo veloce" from Naples to PALERMO takes 4.5 hours and carries both passengers (in reclining seats only) and vehicles. The new Tirrenia overnight Ferry from Naples to PALERMO takes 9 hours, 45 minutes and carries both passengers and vehicles. This is a big (and new) ship. It has reclining seats and also has private cabins with facilities.<BR><BR>Dayle, I really appreciate the compliment; however, by contrast to Vincenzo, I don't live in Italy, but in California!!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 02:38 PM
GAC

CORRECTION: The Siremar year-round car ferry from Naples to the Aeolian Islands (completing its journey at Milazzo) has both reclining seats AND cabins (with and without private facilities). Cabins should be reserved in advance. Fare to Lipari is approx. 40 Euros for a reclining seat (plus a small reservation fee). Ferry leaves Naples at 21:00, arrives 5:00 in Stromboli at 9:35 in Lipari. Departures and precise number of intermediate stops vary according to season.<BR><BR>Siremar in Naples: <BR>Tel. 081.5800340<BR><BR>The Summer HYDROFOILS from Naples to the Aeolian Islands operate JUNE through September only, and can be cancelled due to poor weather (see separate posting).