Overnight train from Prague to Budapest?

Apr 20th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Sankar

Overnight train from Prague to Budapest?

Hi - three of us (2 women + 1 man) are considering taking the overnight train from Prague to Budapest at the end of June 2001. Any advice (based on recent experience) on whether this is a good/safe idea and whether one is better off flying would be extremely helpful!

Apr 20th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Art

Hi Sankar, It is a very short flight and since you wouldn't see any countryside anyway, I would fly. I did meet someone while in Budapest who took the that same train and she told me that everyone was awaken at the border and a couple of people that didn't have their paper work in order were taken off of the train.
Art

Apr 21st, 2001, 01:26 PM
eva

There are 2 borders:the Czech-Slovak and the Slovac-Hungarian.Even if you are not awaken, the train stops ,there are people passing etc.It is sure you can't sleep well.The train is not comfortable, no aircondition.Last June was terribly hot.

Apr 21st, 2001, 07:30 PM
sue

My wife and I took the overnight train from Budapest ot Prague with two other couples in Jan. of 2000.Each couple had their own room. It is not a fancy train, but it was clean. Our train left at around 10:00p.m. and there was no dinning car or even a place to buy coffee. The ride was smooth, but we were awoken twice at each boarder. I am not sure I would do it again, but I loved the experience.

Apr 25th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Sankar

Thanks much! Looks like plane is the way to go....