overnight train from Granada to Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am visiting SPain in Sep but failed to book my ticket from Granada to Barcelona on 14 Sep (overnight train 2nd class couchette). According to the travel agent, seats are available for pass holder for the time being. Is it easy for me to buy the ticket when I am in Spain?? I think Sep is not the peak season. Will it be too risky as
Barcelona is my last stop where I take the flight back home.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM

How long are you in Spain before the train? If several days i think you should have no problem - if the night before only then perhaps. Book it upon arrival and in the remote event it was full make other plans, like flying from Malaga or Granada to Barcelona, or going to Madrid and taking night train from there to Barcelona, etc. Fridays and Sundays are traditionally more full i believe on night trains. You should be able to book at any train station or travel agent in Spain. I wouldn't worry personally too much - and you could always book more expensive and more readily available sleeping options i think as well.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 08:46 AM

I would check for the possibility of a cheap flight as well. If you book early enough you can sometimes get reasonable one-way fares.

Iberia flies this route and last year we got one-way fares for less than 30 Euro.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Dukey.

We were in Spain 2 years ago. Check Iberia every day for each flight. Check one day before and one day after.

One hour was 150E per person. The next hour was way less.

We flew from Granada to Barcelona at 7PM (the time we wanted after spending the morning at the Alhambra) for 55E for both of us.

For that price I'd much rather sleep in a hotel.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all of you for the nice advise. I feel much secured with the ticket opened.