Overnight lodging between Glasgow and Mallaig

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2015, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 4 years of disappointing travel plans, I've finally booked my air reservations to Glasgow!!

I'm hoping to spend the first night there at the Kelvingrove.

Our plan for the initial days is to drive the Road to the Isles and take the ferry to Skye. DH does not want to drive more than 4 hours that first day. I want to stay somewhere which will make it relatively easy to catch the morning ferry.

Any recommendations for an overnight -- perhaps between Fort William and Glenfinnan? Even a nice b&b would do. So far all I've found is a Best Western near Spean Bridge which would be a 24 mile round trip out of our way.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 11:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd stop in Glencoe or possibly Ballachulish -- they are a little over 2 hours from GLA. Then you'll have maybe 1.75 hours on to Mallaig (But you'll want to stop for a bit at Glenfinnan enroute)
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janisj, any recommendations of names of lodging? Then, I assume we'd have to leave very, very early to make the ferry?
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 01:15 PM

Have a look at The Clachaig Inn, Glencoe. www.clahaig.com
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 02:54 PM

Oh darn! I left out a c in spelling Clachaig for the website.

It should be www.clachaig.com
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 05:17 PM

I definitely second the clachaig - a fun place to,stay and good food right In Glencoe
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

I just looked it up and was quite enthused. Also wondering about the Glenfinnan House -- which would put us closer to Portree -- following day's drive. However, it is closed until March 20.

Do these places book up early for late May/early June travels?
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 09:59 AM

There is a holiday weekend at the end of May so it depends on your exact dates. Other that the Bank Holiday weekend, May/June are still low season since the schools don't let out til July.

Since you are headed to Portree -- your dive times will be longer:

If you were to drive as far as Glenfinnan - I'd maybe consider pressing on and stay the night on Skye. If you stay at the south end of the Island - you'll still be more than an hour from Portree the next day.

GLA to Glenfnnan will take about 3.5 hours, GLA to Armadale or elsewhere at that end of Skye will only take about 30 minutes longer plus the ferry.

Glencoe > Portree = about 4 hours including the ferry
Glenfinnan > Portree = about 3 hours

both are assuming you time it close - and don't have to wait long for the ferry.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:15 AM

I have stayed at Glenfinnan House and enjoyed my stay but not sure I'd rate it above Clachaig Inn. Apples and Oranges. As janisj said, it's not that much further to Mallaig and the crossing takes about 30 minutes. Have a look at ferry departure times that may influence your decision as to whether to continue on to Skye or not.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Am still dithering, although I like the looks of Clachaig better.

Was nearly ready to book the Kelvingrove when I spotted the pricier Hotel du Vin. The bigger bed etc might be kind of important to us. I remember 16 years ago being awed when we drove past One Devonshire Gardens (where we couldn't afford to eat).

BTW, this website has always been so helpful to me. I first used it for a 2001 trip to Ireland!
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 05:49 PM

I recommend Treetops B&B in Fort William. We stayed there on our way to Skye. It was lovely, with a view of Ben Nevis.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Scotland.html
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

I did send an e-mail in to Clachaig Inn to book because it would be Saturday night May 30, and I've experienced bank holiday weekends before.

For a question later in the trip--has anyone stayed at the Taychreggan Hotel near Taynuilt?
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 04:51 PM

I've not stayed there but did eat in the bar several years ago (before the current chef and 'posh-ing up' of the restaurant) An absolutely beautiful location . . . but pretty remote if you plan on basing there for touring around any at all. Its about an hour from Oban and maybe 80-90 minutes from Inveraray.

If that isn't a consideration - it would probably be wonderful.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 05:20 PM

I stayed there about 8 years ago. Just looked at their website and it seems that the rooms have all been updated. I enjoyed my stay and the restaurant was very good with lovely views. Be aware that the hotel sits at an angle ( almost perpendicular to the loch ) so views reflect that. It is certainly off the main road, but I like that. If staying, plan on eating there since it is quite a distance to any other dining options.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

You guys are so quick!

In 1998 when we were in Scotland I remember that in driving from Oban back to Glasgow we went around part of Loch Awe.

What I am picturing is maybe a night or two at Taychreggan (if it's not prohibitive) on the way back to Glasgow. Would that work, or is it the wrong side of the loch to be practical? My road map is not all that detailed.

Thanks for the food warning. We've had nights on trips--especially France--where our meal was more than our room, and our location was pretty much the only place to eat.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 08:02 PM

The Manor House in Oban is another option especially if planning on staying two nights which would give you a day to explore the area. I know janisj is not especially fond of Oban, but I have stayed there about half a dozen times and like it. The first time I was in Oban was with a small group visiting various pre- historic sites in Great Britain. We arrived in Oban late afternoon in a downpour. The next morning when I went for an early run, the sun had come out and it was brilliant. Everything glistening as it only can after a good rain. It was early and the only people about were a few fishermen preparing their boats. So my first memories were good ones. I can't remember which hotel we stayed in but on subsequent visits have always booked The Manor House.

It is a Georgian house built for the Duke of Argyll. It's a ten minute walk to the ferry terminal and centre of town. The rooms aren't large but beautifully appointed. Be sure and ask for a sea view. It overlooks the Sound of Kerrera and the Firth of Lorn. The views are some of the absolute best. Last year after dinner, I went to the lounge for a drink and, luckily, I had the room to myself. I sat there watching the sun set and actually got a tear in my eye thinking how beautiful it was. A soppy moment maybe but certainly memorable. One of the reasons I frequently return to Oban is to stay at the Manor House. A favorite.

Another reason to consider Oban, is that you'll have a couple of options for touring. You could go to Mull and Iona. Perhaps include a trip out to Staffa or head south to Kilmartin Glen ( for its pre- historic sites ) continue on to Lochgilphead, Inveraray and catch the A 85 back to Oban. I think you could manage the latter as a day trip.

For the Manor House. www.manorhouseoban.com

BTW, they have a good restaurant!
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 08:08 PM

>>What I am picturing is maybe a night or two at Taychreggan (if it's not prohibitive) on the way back to Glasgow. Would that work, or is it the wrong side of the loch to be practical?<<

Well - it is on the 'wrong' side of the loch for the drive to Glasgow. But nowhere in the area is on a straight shot anyway. The hotel (which is really a destination in itself since it isn't close to much of anything except a lot of beautiful scenery) is maybe 20 miles/close to an hour from Kilchurn Castle where you'd decide whether to travel via Crianlarich or Inveraray - then on to Loch Lomond and down to Glasgow.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 08:12 PM

Oh - I didn't see historytraveler's post.

It depends on what you want: A base for touring or a place to chill/soak up the surroundings.

Taychreggan is lovely -- but it isn't really a place from which to tour.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Janisj, I was afraid of that when I looked at the map. I remember Kilchurn Castle. Wildly scenic. Actually I was thinking of Taychreggan as a 2 night layover between Oban and Glasgow--not really touring around from there.

Historytraveler, I think we are going to Mull. Maybe 2 nights in Tobermary. No, I don't want to go to Fionnaport.

Many years ago we stayed at the Columbia in Oban. It may have a different name now. DH liked Oban so the Manor House could be a possibility. I suppose we could soak up the additional night on the Isle of Skye, and drive all the way from Oban back to Glasgow.

Looks like we need to discuss. I navigate; DH just drives--not much input from him.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

I just looked up the Manor House in Oban too. Looks lovely. At least Oban would give us the option of other restaurants, shops, etc.